Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kenichiwat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
So I'm hearing all these news about a new Macbook coming out in Q3 of 2008 and someone else mentioned in in some thread that it could come out Q4 before the holidays. So what's the deal?! I know they're only rumors, but which one is more reliable?!

You see, I'm a college student and I have to admit I dont have alot of money. =[ I'm a PC user right now, but I'm switching to a Mac for my next laptop since my old laptop died recently. There's a deal going on for a free iPod Touch for college students and a printer rebate. I'm selling those two items to make the price of my new Macbook cheaper since I already have both those things. Well, not the iPod Touch, but I'm content with my G2 Nano.

So I guess here's the thing. Would Apple release their new Macbook with this deal still going on or will they release it as soon as the promotional deal is over?! I believe the deal goes til September 7th or something. If they do release it during the promotional deal, would it be eligible for the iPod rebate?! I know I'm asking alot of questions here, but any help would be appreciated. I guess I'm asking if Apple has ever done anything like this before. I'm pretty new to the whole Mac thing and need your professional oppinion. I wouldnt want to buy a new Macbook to find out that a month later a newer and possibly design is coming out. I would forget about the iPod deal if I could get my hands on the newer version of Macbook!! Still I would love to save some money...

tnisatard

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2008
So I'm hearing all these news about a new Macbook coming out in Q3 of 2008 and someone else mentioned in in some thread that it could come out Q4 before the holidays. So what's the deal?! I know they're only rumors, but which one is more reliable?!

You see, I'm a college student and I have to admit I dont have alot of money. =[ I'm a PC user right now, but I'm switching to a Mac for my next laptop since my old laptop died recently. There's a deal going on for a free iPod Touch for college students and a printer rebate. I'm selling those two items to make the price of my new Macbook cheaper since I already have both those things. Well, not the iPod Touch, but I'm content with my G2 Nano.

So I guess here's the thing. Would Apple release their new Macbook with this deal still going on or will they release it as soon as the promotional deal is over?! I believe the deal goes til September 7th or something. If they do release it during the promotional deal, would it be eligible for the iPod rebate?! I know I'm asking alot of questions here, but any help would be appreciated. I guess I'm asking if Apple has ever done anything like this before. I'm pretty new to the whole Mac thing and need your professional oppinion. I wouldnt want to buy a new Macbook to find out that a month later a newer and possibly design is coming out. I would forget about the iPod deal if I could get my hands on the newer version of Macbook!! Still I would love to save some money...

i was in the same boat as you

if there is a new one, i doubt it will come out during the back to school sale

if you are really strapped for cash, save you money and get a different laptop

your only going into college, so all you need a laptop for is to type up essays and surf the web when your bored

Tomass04

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2008
I don't think I'm going to wait. I think it worth it to do the college thing and get the ipod touch with the new macbook. I would rather have that than the newest model computer.

iSpoody 1243

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2008
Australia
for a entire new macbook design it will not be just released on the apple store like a minor update.
i bet at the apple conference on 7th august (i think thats the date) they will talk about the new designs
if that doesn't happen you will have to wait till macworld 09 for the update, oh well arnt i glad im not buying anything till nethlam comes out or even sandy bridge
3200 mhz DDR4 ram and 300 gb solid state drives is all i want

Alx9876

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2008
NorCal
I'm waiting until August 7th before I buy anything. I'm still waiting. And still can't sleep at night. My mind is racing. I want one bad.

ihabime

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
for a entire new macbook design it will not be just released on the apple store like a minor update.
i bet at the apple conference on 7th august (i think thats the date) they will talk about the new designs
if that doesn't happen you will have to wait till macworld 09 for the update, oh well arnt i glad im not buying anything till nethlam comes out or even sandy bridge
3200 mhz DDR4 ram and 300 gb solid state drives is all i want

what apple conference on august 7th?

Aztec

macrumors regular
May 12, 2008
I think you guys are confusing last year's event that took place on August 7th. There is no Apple conference scheduled on August 7th that I know of.

ihabime

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
I think you guys are confusing last year's event that took place on August 7th. There is no Apple conference scheduled on August 7th that I know of.

That's what I thought, I think spoofy is confusing it with last months WWDC.

The next big conference is Macworld, but Apple does do product announcements in between, either quietly for small updates or at special events for big ones.

As for the Macbook update, I'm betting on late august, early sept, Apple doesn't usually update to new chips as quick as everyone else.

kenichiwat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
That's what I thought, I think spoofy is confusing it with last months WWDC.

The next big conference is Macworld, but Apple does do product announcements in between, either quietly for small updates or at special events for big ones.

As for the Macbook update, I'm betting on late august, early sept, Apple doesn't usually update to new chips as quick as everyone else.

so does apple usually announce that the upgrade/re-design is coming up weeks before it ships or do they announce it then start shipping right away? just wondering...im new to this whole apple thing. :p

iSpoody 1243

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2008
Australia
apple has product launches etc in between macworld and wwdc.
last years 7th august was just an example, apple will have something similar this year during aug sept to announce updates

bobjob186

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2005
Laguna Beach
Just remember, we all know something is coming, we just don't know when or what. If you think of it that way, all signs point to wait.

caitlin

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2008
Memphis, TN
your only going into college, so all you need a laptop for is to type up essays and surf the web when your bored

Common misconception.

For example, as a sophomore in college, I got a web developing job. Something that requires lots of RAM for Photoshop and Illustrator, for example. Also much preferred a mac for the great coding software out there, i.e. Textmate (or Coda for those who prefer); a PC wouldn't compete.

niekverw

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2008
apple also has to upgrad the mac mini, and thats more needed than the macbooks i think, you think they would do it at/around the same time? is that done before

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.