PDA

View Full Version : Best Mac Year Ever?

MacBytes
Dec 21, 2003, 04:36 AM
Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Best Mac Year Ever? (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20031221053601)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by arn

mainstreetmark
Dec 21, 2003, 08:59 AM
While I don't know what to make of an Apple-branded cellphone device, I know for sure that I hate buying cellphones these days.

I have the Sanyo 8100, and I had to read the manual to figure out how to turn of a little alien that kept walking around, "entertaining me". There is no built in "ring" sound, and if I wanted to download one from sprint, it would cost money and expire (apparently, you just Rent this stuff). Depending on how you get to the spot of viewing a picture, you can either delete it, or you can't, and every few weeks, I have to go delete all the pictures out I only wanted to keep long enough to send.

The replacement for this phone is sure to come with more bells and more whistles and less telephone stuff. The author was right - someone needs to make sense of this turmoil.

nuckinfutz
Dec 21, 2003, 10:22 AM
This is damn near a no brainer. Looking at the Treo 600 myself I thought. Apple has a app to handle every thing phone does.

Addressbook- Nuff Said
iSync- A must have for portable devices
iPhoto- camera in phones is all the rage
inkwell- Handwriting recognition
iTunes- MP3/AAC playback
Bluetooth- available in most new 'puters
IP/Firewire- Instant networking
Rendezvous- Instant net connections
iCal- Scheduling built in

Apple could make one kick ass Smartphone. Fix the Treo's weakness of having no bluetooth and just a 160 x 160 screen and you'd have a winner.

Toshiba is announing 1" drives, that's a %40 reduction in size saving space for other components. Rumor has it that the nextgen iPod will not be using the Pixio OS. So it looks like Apple is moving to an inhouse developed OS. Perhaps based off of shrunking Darwin with a new UI built for small screens. This would rock. Many users don't need a full fledged PDA but rather something that is close and offers the productivity features.

copperpipe
Dec 21, 2003, 07:33 PM
I agree, I think an Apple phone is gonna be the "next big thing" from Apple, and it will integrate in a way that just makes sense. This is Apple's paradigm working in full effect. While everyone was yelling and screaming about Apple not opening themselves wide, the long term vision is coming through. How difficult is this gonna be to match on the PC side of things?