PDA

View Full Version : iPod Shuffles don't work with iTunes 7.7 unless...

craigr577
Jul 15, 2008, 10:03 AM
Last week iTunes sent out iTunes 7.7 with Software Update, and now Shuffles don't work due to problems with the "podcast" playlist that's been added.

Several semi-solutions are discussed in two threads, one named "Shuffle not playing - charges and its recognized?!?!?" and another (with a better title) at http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1599361&tstart=0

Basically, moving songs into the iPod's "podcast" folder (NOT the "podcast" folder in the Library) is a fix, or maybe deleting iPod's "podcast" folder but this may cause problems. It's confusing (especially because the symptoms are the same as those leading to pages saying "flashing orange and green lights of death" with no solution in 2006) and I wish Apple would send out a warning immediately, and fix iTunes ASAP.

BillyBobBongo
Jul 15, 2008, 10:19 AM
Oh dear...that's not gonna please my wife! I've not synced her iPod for a week or so so hadn't seen this problem yet. Will have to give it a go later and see how bad it all is.

Cheers for the 'heads up'!

digitalnicotine
Jul 15, 2008, 11:02 AM
i haven't hooked up my shuffle since updating, but I wonder if you're using a Mac or a PC when you ran into these problems?

craigr577
Jul 15, 2008, 12:17 PM
I'm running OS 10.4.11 on Mac. Yesterday I removed/added podcasts to my Shuffle (2nd Generation, 1 GB) as usual, but it wouldn't play. I googled the symptoms and found the "flashing green and yellow lights of death" from 2006 and the only solution was "buy a new iPod." Then I checked Apple Forums and the current problems began immediately with 7.7, on July 9. Several solutions have been tried, none totally successful it seems (re: controlling the order of play; details are in the two threads described above) but at least it plays now. I've used MacRumors Forums, like it here, and thought I'd warn people about this, but I'm wondering -- Why isn't APPLE warning people?