Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrkngclasshero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2008
Columbia, MD
I am trying to convert my DVD of Mallrats to Apple TV format. The movie has 2 angles at certain points in the film (director commentary) and I cannot seem to get the movie version to rip properly w/ handbrake.

I have tried various ripping options like main feature, title set, full disc, etc and I get the alternate angle with Kevin Smith's audio commenary,

When I try to use the chapter or cell extraction and specify the angle I want, it says the source is not usable (regardless if i merge chapters or not)

Somebody please help me convert my favorite movie!!

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Did you pre-rip it ? What version of HB ? Try the dev snapshot posted as an announcement on the HB forums, previous versions of HB did not handle multi angle sources very well.

wrkngclasshero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 3, 2008
Columbia, MD
I am pre ripping with MTR V3R14

When ripping main feature or title set I'd get the wrong angles in handbrake

My current line of thinking is to use MTR and rip chapter with specified angles. Then trying to put the chapter.VOB files into Toast Titanium and convert that into something I can get into handbrake. No luck so far but still trying.

Thanks for responding, I appreciate it. Am going to try the handbrake forums later I guess.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Many main feature or title set rips from mtr make HB choke, the remastering is a touch shaky that mtr does. Run the mtr output through dtox if you have it. That usually cleans up the mastering errors (including zero cells, which mtr does not clean up and chokes HB).

Alternatively try a full disk rip from mtr, that may work too.

utazdevl

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2008
Mallrats Conversion

Ditch Handbrake and rip the DVD to a VOB file using 0sex, then convert the VOB file usng VisualHub. I can confrim it works perfect as I have a perfect digital copy on my iPod and AppleTV of Mallrats using this method.

I only use Handbrake for TV episodes and non store bought DVD's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.