Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dias

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Hi guys

So, my MobileMe order has arrived but I'm actually unsure what to do with my activation code at this point: use it or sell it. When I placed my order I was very confident in Apple to solve all initial (I guess understandable) issues, I was...
Can you help me with this questions so I can decide what to do? Thanks in advance:

1) Mail somehow works, Calendar doesn't, Contacts works quite well. Is there any chance that performance will get better if I activate my membership? Any kind of priority for users who pay?

2) Anybody who managed to get Gmail emails using Preferences--Other--"External Account" function? I can forward email from Gmail to ME but it's undesirable since ME doesn't support server-side filtering (at least "External Account" give you an option to select a folder).

3) Can somebody briefly explain how "Aliases" works? If I create an Alias, can I select a folder where all "myalias"@me.com emails will go? Can I create a new password for an Alias?

4) This is for experienced .Mac users: how about long-term Reliability? Did you ever lost an email because of .Mac issues/maintenance? I mean, if WebApp Gui is down for few days who cares as long as I can receive my email using pop/imap. Pop/Imap works always, right?

Thanks again

umgolfer

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2004
MI
As for reliability I can say in the 2 years I've used .Mac, I've not lost any emails (at least that I know of...). Any real important emails I usually copy to a local folder in Mail though as a safety backup. I've been happy personally with .Mac

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I haven't lost anything either, but performance and reliability are another matter. My .mac account has been unusable for 1-3 days at a time during the last 2 months, and Apple always says everything is fully operational. I was already considering not renewing my family pack. but MobileMe has just about made up my mind - it's the WORST experience I have had in quite some time. Yes I do expect things to improve with time, but how much time is anyone's guess. If they had just left .mac alone until the MM issues were ironed out it would certainly have been better. unless things change a lot in the next 28 days I will NOT be renewing!

bigez

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2008
one ?

This is probably a dumb question, but I'm asking anyway:

What comes in the MobileMe shipment that's different from what you get when you download iTunes 7.7? Anything?

dchao

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
This is probably a dumb question, but I'm asking anyway:

What comes in the MobileMe shipment that's different from what you get when you download iTunes 7.7? Anything?

iTune 7.7 is a system requirement for MobileMe to work

System Requirements for MobileMe:

Compatible device: Mac, PC, iPhone, or iPod touch
For Mac: Mac OS X v10.4.11, the latest version of Mac OS X Leopard; Safari 3, Firefox 2, or later
For PC: Windows Vista or Windows XP Home or Professional (SP2) or later; Internet Explorer 7*, Safari 3, Firefox 2, or later; Microsoft Outlook 2003 or later recommended
For iPhone and iPod touch: 2.0 software

iTunes 7.7 or later (free download from http://www.itunes.com/download)
Internet access with compatible ISP (broadband required for web applications); fees may apply.
Some features require Mac OS X v10.5 and iLife ’08

benmrii

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2007
FL
I've used .Mac since its inception. There will be hours every now and again when you can't access your email, but I've never lost any email.

Skipping the rest of the questions, here is the simple answer: you can get a free 60 day trial. Why not keep the box sealed, run through the trial until you have made a decision on whether or not you want to keep it or return it, then make the decision. Inside the box is just a code that you enter in to activate the account. Go free and then use or return.

Dias

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Hello everybody, thank you very much for your replies about reliability of the service.

I'd like to know more about service itself (first 3 questions), even 2 cents are welcome. :)

Diaresi

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2007
1. All 3 now work for me great, although it frequently happens that if I delete/move an email in Mail.app it seems to take a strangely long time for it to go out of my inbox on the web interface :confused:

2. Make sure you've followed this on Gmail :)

3. An alias is just an xxxxx@me.com address that goes straight into your current inbox. For example you could create spam9393893@me.com for anything you're untrusting of. If you start getting spam through then just delete that and set up another one. As for folders since the web interface doesn't support filtering of emails into folders you would probably have to set it up in Mail.app.

I signed up for .Mac a couple of months ago, was going to cancel (they have a current status table!? What?! When has Gmail ever been down?) but thought i'd leave it until i'd seen MobileMe...what i've seen and used is making me want to cancel again.

Dias

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Hi, thank you very much for your info. :)

My POP/IMAP on Gmail are working great with Outlook or you_name_it email client, but still no luck with MobileMe. At this point I guess it's because of not fully functional MobileMe service. Oh wait, WebMail doesn't work no more...

I guess I should hope in some kind of performance miracle because I really Love Web interface (I access my email very often using a web client, so MobileMe would be a winner for me, if it worked...).

Quick question: Is autologin supposed to work? Every time I open a browser I have to insert my user/passwd, even if "remember me for 2 weeks" option is on. :confused:

benmrii

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2007
FL
Quick question: Is autologin supposed to work? Every time I open a browser I have to insert my user/passwd, even if "remember me for 2 weeks" option is on. :confused:

I'd imagine it is supposed to, but it's one of several features that hasn't worked for me since the service went live.

macDonalds

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2007
Get rid of it.

Setup Gmail with IMAP settings and just manually sync everything through iTunes. It's not worth the frustration.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.