Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redbullman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2003
Hey ya'll, im here to ask a question in which you've prolly heard before several times. I'm a sophmore in college and am switching to graphic design this year. i run an Athlon 2100+ currently, and may soon upgrade it, but first, i have been yearning for a laptop to use on the go. and since im going to be in graphics, i also wanted a Mac, for its higher performance.

Here is my dilemma. I was looking at getting a 12" iBook G4, as simple as they come, with a wireless card. but im hearing rumors that the iBooks may be upgraded soon. Granted upgrading is unstoppable, but i dont want to purchase it and 2 weeks later they updrage to a 1Ghz chip in the 12". any ideas or notions that a 12" powerbook might be better if i saved for longer, etc etc.

Thanks for all the input!

Note: i want a 12" cause its small and will prevent me from gaming on it when i need to be getting work done. :) plans for wacom tablet and external mouse as well. would bluetooth be worth it as well?

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
I don't see the iBooks being updated for a while. They have no where to go, as the PowerBooks have no where to go, and Apple can't push the iBooks into the PBs market. Plus, the iBook G4 was just introduced about a month or so ago. Get it now, don't wait.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
I would say DEFINITELY WAIT!

While x-mas is only days away, MacWorld is only 2 weeks away. Twice a year, big things happen with Apple products - this is one of them. The laptops may not receive substantial upgrades, but a small speed bump or general price reduction is likely. If you haven't gotten it yet, wait til January 6th - then decide what you need. You may be pleasantly suprised....

pinto32

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2003
PA
While anything is possible, especially with Apple, it isnt likely that there will be changes made to the iBooks for a few more months. The inclusion of the G4 was the biggest thing to happen to them in years, so they will ride that initial hype for as long as possible. Powerbooks, on the other hand, have a better chance of modifications in January. If you can wait, then January 6th (Macworld) and January 24 (20th anniversery of the Mac) are two dates to watch.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Wait !

I don't see any updates to the iBooks in the near future, but I see some new Apps coming at MacWorld like iWrite any maybe others. If you purchase after you get those new apps for free. Otherwise you have to pay for them - if you want them

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.