PDA

View Full Version : Loopt Like App?

Project-79
Jul 15, 2008, 08:52 PM
Is there an app similar to Loopt, in that you can see where your friends? I would get Loopt, but it isn't in Canada.

Thanks!

P-79

kis
Jul 16, 2008, 02:05 AM
Is there an app similar to Loopt, in that you can see where your friends? I would get Loopt, but it isn't in Canada.

Thanks!

P-79

I'd love to get loopt as well here in Switzerland :-(

AceFernalld
Jul 16, 2008, 04:15 AM
The applications 'Whrrl' is VERY similar to that, allowing you to find your friends and see what they are up to. I'm not sure if that is available outside of the US though, check it out.

kis
Jul 16, 2008, 04:29 AM
The applications 'Whrrl' is VERY similar to that, allowing you to find your friends and see what they are up to. I'm not sure if that is available outside of the US though, check it out.

nope, US only too

Project-79
Jul 16, 2008, 09:58 AM
nope, US only too

*Cry*

P-79

kis
Jul 17, 2008, 03:21 AM
None?

P-79

doesn't look like it :-( I guess there are legal implications when it comes to this (tracking people, that is) , as well

MuzakaEklekta
Jul 17, 2008, 04:50 AM
Have you heard of Navizon? It's the same thing. I know they support the UK. Not sure about anywhere else.

Basically, they make an app for a Jailbroken 1.1.4 iPhone. I emailed them asking if they plan on supporting the iPhone 2.0 official firmware. This is what I received:

Hello,

I don't think so, because a standard SDK/App Store application isn't
able to run in the background, as far as I know.

Navizon needs to run in the background in order to work. If it is
possible to do this with a non jailbroken phone and the standard SDK,
then we will consider offering it through the appstore.

But we will start work on a version for the jailbroken iPhone 3g as soon
as there is a reliable way to jailbreak it.

--
Bredo Oeveraas
Navizon support

Basically, when Apple enable background services, expect a flurry of these type of buddy-tracking apps.

Project-79
Jul 17, 2008, 08:00 PM
Basically, when Apple enable background services, expect a flurry of these type of buddy-tracking apps.

I hope so!

I cannot believe that there are no buddy tracking apps in Canada yet.

P-79

dukebound85
Aug 23, 2008, 09:40 PM
loopt doesnt cost anything to use other than it uses your sms and data plans right?

Niiro13
Aug 23, 2008, 10:37 PM
Loopt is in the process of expanding to other countries...

loopt doesnt cost anything to use other than it uses your sms and data plans right?

Correct.