PDA

View Full Version : MacWorld San Francisco 2004 Quicktime Stream

MacRumors
Dec 22, 2003, 04:59 AM
Apple has posted (http://stream.apple.akadns.net/) a placeholder page for the official MacWorld San Francisco 2004 Keynote Speech.

Watch Apple CEO Steve Jobs deliver the Macworld Expo keynote address from Moscone Center in San Francisco. See the live webcast right here on January 6 at 9am PT exclusively in QuickTime and MPEG-4. It's an event you won't want to miss.

IDG just confirmed (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/12/20031218113912.shtml) last week that Steve Jobs will be giving the MacWorld San Francisco 2004 Keynote speech.

As previously reported, MacRumors will also provide live web and IRC coverage for those unable to tune into the stream.

mproud
Dec 22, 2003, 05:07 AM
So... there MUST be big news... right? :D

rdowns
Dec 22, 2003, 05:08 AM
G5 iMac, Steve. Thank you.

Sabenth
Dec 22, 2003, 05:20 AM
Guess the Product place your bets right here:

VPod
G5 iMac
quad Based power books
Newton 2
New eMac sort of thing

add more if you wish lol

johnnyjibbs
Dec 22, 2003, 05:29 AM
Great, I can't wait! PowerMacs and new Cube-type things (20th Anniversary) I'm going on... Maybe G5 iMacs but I doubt it.

max11
Dec 22, 2003, 05:38 AM
pffff... it's a quad processor 12" powerbook G5.

duh, anyone who reads MacOSRumors (http://www.macosrumors.com) knows that....

:D

ITR 81
Dec 22, 2003, 05:39 AM
Bookmark.

That'll be 11am my time.

I hope they allow for 56k connections because I will surely try even if it's abit messed up with distortions.

I want to see how well my predictions came through in the final rinse.

the future
Dec 22, 2003, 05:45 AM
Come to daddy, 20th anniversary G5 cube...

punter
Dec 22, 2003, 06:20 AM
oh I'm stoked about this news! I love the video streams but live ones are just gold. Except it normally works out to be about 1am my time.

Hope there's some nice new stuff that I can take advantage of. Like itms Australia!

PensDevil
Dec 22, 2003, 06:28 AM
Does anyone have any word on the coordinates and transponder for the satellite feed?
We've got a pair of bog old C-band / Ku-band dishes up on the roof, and this is one of a handful of times they actually get used anymore. It's a post-holiday tradition... the entire tech staff takes a long lunch break to eat some pizza and watch, er, submit to Jobs' reality distortion field. Wouldn't want to miss that.

macMaestro
Dec 22, 2003, 06:45 AM
SWEET! :p

Finally a live webcast of a Stevenote.

ph_555_shag
Dec 22, 2003, 06:57 AM
anyone know what that is in EST. or CST?... on that note r there any good web pages for converting times?

edit: SF is -8 (GMT)

edit2: it's bloody 3:30 am jan 7 in adelaide... well no sleep that night i guess

MattG
Dec 22, 2003, 07:03 AM
Ugh
Of course it's on the day I go back to work :)

Oh well.

Squire
Dec 22, 2003, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by punter
oh I'm stoked about this news! I love the video streams but live ones are just gold. Except it normally works out to be about 1am my time.

Hope there's some nice new stuff that I can take advantage of. Like itms Australia!

I hear ya! Last time, I got up at 3 or 4 AM to take a leak and got sidetracked. Ended up watching the damn thing.

Originally posted by MattG
Ugh

Oh well.

I hear you, too. I go back on the 5th.

Squire

P.S. Oh, I'll be conservative and predict smaller, cheaper iPods and G5 Xserves. For my going-out-on-a-limb guesss I'll say a kickass word processor, a sub-mini notebook, new G5 iMacs, and a pen to hook up to one's iPod.

One more thing- a headless anniversary Mac.

Mr.Hey
Dec 22, 2003, 07:55 AM
I love this time a year.

Have a happy Steve-note everyone :D.

p.s..oh....and a happy Xmas :D :).

Photorun
Dec 22, 2003, 07:57 AM
I'll keep that afternoon clear. There are three types of Macworlds, the ones that garner gasps of delight and uproarious applause, the ones that garner delight and applause, then the ones like last year which just had gasps and... well just gasps unless you counted the crickets chirping while Jobs said "and this insanely great new G4, we're going from 1.4 to 1.42 GHz... [crickets, a cough is heard at the back]" Okay, that last bit didn't happen but last years did bit major arse.

richie
Dec 22, 2003, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by Photorun
Okay, that last bit didn't happen but last years did bit major arse.

I loved last year's - Safari, 12inch and 17inch Powerbooks... it was great :D

blueBomber
Dec 22, 2003, 08:16 AM
not to mention the rollout of iLife suite. I was impressed by how much everything just worked together.

MacsRgr8
Dec 22, 2003, 08:19 AM
Yes!

It will be at 6 pm over here.....

Gonna enjoy it on a beamer with a pizza and a coke, with some colleagues at work!

Love it!
Got it bookmarked, ofcourse ;)

tny
Dec 22, 2003, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by the future

Don't get your hopes up too high - that will probably be a 20th anniversary G4 cube. Imagine how tough it would be to cool a G5 cube?

Based on the job listing, the vPod isn't for this MacWorld.

G5 XServes, new Cinema Displays (and the end of the Studio Display), speed bumps all across, iWrite, and one more thing --- Office vi.X.

lewdvig
Dec 22, 2003, 09:45 AM

Great, just what I need. Another must have Apple product to further strain my marriage.

:(

earlopogous
Dec 22, 2003, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by tny
G5 XServes, new Cinema Displays (and the end of the Studio Display), speed bumps all across, iWrite, and one more thing --- Office vi.X.

Dont you mean v.Xi?

mainstreetmark
Dec 22, 2003, 09:53 AM
Here's my guess:

1. New PowerMac speeds, including the 2.0 gig goal announcement (avail this summer)
2. PowerBook roadmap. The last powerbook revision (17" gained .33Ghz, and that's it) didn't have much spark in them, so he's gonna talk about the new ones.
3. A new iMac released "today"
4. A bounch of spouting off about how great the iPod is, and possibly release a minor updated version, maybe software only. Members will all get gift certificates and some pepsi.

~Shard~
Dec 22, 2003, 10:04 AM
I see PowerMac speed bumps, G5 xServes and LCD updates - these are the product lines which are in need and overdue for updates. On the software side, I see updates to iApps, in line with all the rumors that have been floating around. Past that, I don't know how many amazing new announcements Jobs is going to give all at one event! More updates might start to border on too much! ;)

As for the G5 iMac, anything is possible, but I don't see the G5 iMac coming out until spring 2004, with the G5 PowerBook hot on its heels (pardon the pun regarding G5 PB heating issues). To reiterate my thoughts on the G5 iMac, I believe it will have a completely new form factor, be more sleek and slender rather than a perfect dome, the monitor will extend out from the back of the base, and arc forward, and it will have a 1.6 or 1.8 G5 in it, with all the gear that the current PMs have (since the PMs are all going to be upgraded). I also predict the new iMacs to cost around $3000, thus effectively removing it from the consumer line due to the high price, leaving the eMac as the only true consumer level model, with this new iMac becoming a mid-level product.

Just my crazy predicitons - only time will tell! :cool:

Hawthorne
Dec 22, 2003, 10:06 AM
In order of probablity:

1. New G5 PowerMacs, speed-bumped up to dual 2.4-2.6mhz.
2. G5 iMac, with single 1.8, 2.0 and 2.4 G5's and redesigned form.
3. New LCD monitors, redesigned with lower price points.
4. Updates to current iLife Apps with new features.
5. New iLife app - AppleWorks replacement.
6. Cheaper iPod ($200, 5 gb).
7. Limited Edition 20th Anniversary Mac with new form factor.
8. And last, but not least, Steve will forgo the usual and walk out in Blue Dalmation mock turtleneck. :D

wms121
Dec 22, 2003, 10:40 AM
1. 64 bit 'tachyon released in June?

2. 64 bit Java2 for MacOSX?

3. Quad G5's and quad xserves? (configurable to 32 bit, 64 bit
and even 128bit and 256 bit using various VM's ..java etc)..full
Infiniband 64 bit Motherboard with 64x Infiniband options in
August?

4. HDTV professional box...competes directly with SGI's $50,000
workservers at under $10,000

5. Solaris 9 for Mac (cause McNealy loves Steve so much...; )

6. AIX6-OSX by IBM...and it's Federal Government compliant
thank you AL Gore ; )

7. Wireless 3D glasses for MacVR...with a 1080p option.

8. Melanie Gates in a bikini...

law guy
Dec 22, 2003, 10:41 AM
If we may see speed bumps of the Power Macs to 2.4 - based on the rumors of the 90nm chip being available and shipping in quantity to Apple - isn't this the chip we need for a G5 PB - say at 1.4 or 1.6. Last Feb. we were reading about 970s at 1.2 that used 12 watts - it seems that if they have the 90nm G5s that a powerbook announcement is possible? They'd keep the same enclosure and I imagine could have been working on the new motherboard for the last several months. Perhaps a shipping product by March (as was the case with the 17" last year).

~Shard~
Dec 22, 2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Hawthorne
In order of probablity:

3. New LCD monitors, redesigned with lower price points.
4. Updates to current iLife Apps with new features.
5. New iLife app - AppleWorks replacement.
6. Cheaper iPod ($200, 5 gb).
7. Limited Edition 20th Anniversary Mac with new form factor.
8. And last, but not least, Steve will forgo the usual and walk out in Blue Dalmation mock turtleneck. :D

What about G5 xServes? The one product I think is the most likely to see at MWSF is the one you've left off your list! ;)

Also, how many announcements/updates did Jobs make at MWSF last year? Just wondering how many announcements, in general, to expect, as I can't see him making 7 or 8 huge announcements all at once (although I wouldn't complain!)

~Shard~
Dec 22, 2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Hawthorne
In order of probablity:

Oh, and there is no way we would see a new iMac with such high processor speeds, especially since this will be the first iMac to have a G5 - they will definitely only put a 1.6 or 1.8 in it. A G5 iMac at MWSF is doubtful (see my earlier post), but if we do see one, they would not release it with such high processor speeds, as this places it too close to the PM line and there has to be some product differentiation and separation.

Why do so many people believe we will see the G5 iMac so soon? How long did it take for the G4 iMac to be released after the first G4 PMs were released? A lot longer than 6 months, if I remember correctly. I still think we'll see G5 iMacs in spring 2004, but that's just my opinion....

Hawthorne
Dec 22, 2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by ~Shard~
What about G5 xServes? The one product I think is the most likely to see at MWSF is the one you've left off your list! ;)

They'd be cool, and a nice tie-in with Big Mac down at Va. Tech ("They did this with regular PowerMacs. Now imagine what you can do with (dramatic pause) a G5 server!"), but I think maybe the same heat problems that are delaying a G5 Powerbook are bedeviling a G5 server rollout.

We'll know in 2 weeks, that's for sure! :D

Chealion
Dec 22, 2003, 10:51 AM
When was the last time they streamed live? And didn't stream it a few hours after the event?

tny
Dec 22, 2003, 10:52 AM
Actually, the iPod for the masses is far, far more likely than a G5 iMac.

Hawthorne
Dec 22, 2003, 10:58 AM
Oh, and there is no way we would see a new iMac with such high processor speeds, especially since this will be the first iMac to have a G5 - they will definitely only put a 1.6 or 1.8 in it. A G5 iMac at MWSF is doubtful (see my earlier post), but if we do see one, they would not release it with such high processor speeds, as this places it too close to the PM line and there has to be some product differentiation and separation.
When the new iMac was announced, IIRC, it was very comparable in processor speed and power to the then-current PowerMac. And there's a big difference between a single and a dual G5 in terms of performance, which along with other features (expandibility, dual monitors, etc) makes the distinction between pro (PowerMac) and consumer (iMac), so a single G5 iMac is very likely, and soon, I think.
Why do so many people believe we will see the G5 iMac so soon? How long did it take for the G4 iMac to be released after the first G4 PMs were released? A lot longer than 6 months, if I remember correctly. I still think we'll see G5 iMacs in spring 2004, but that's just my opinion.... The G3 Powerbooks and PowerMacs were released almost at the same time and with comparable chips, though. Hard to read the tea leaves with Apple, it seems. :D

~Shard~
Dec 22, 2003, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by tny
Actually, the iPod for the masses is far, far more likely than a G5 iMac.
I agree - G5 iMacs will not be released until the G5 PBs are close to being ready to go. Hopefully there is some sort of iPod-related annoucement at MWSF!

jero
Dec 22, 2003, 11:06 AM

i agree. its the only thing preventing me from buying a g4 cube right now! well, id probably still buy one down the line.

jholzner
Dec 22, 2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by MattG
Ugh

Oh well.

I've already informed my employer that I have a "doctors" appt. at 11am :)

dho
Dec 22, 2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by jholzner

Good Call

Man Am I glad that I dont go back to school until the next day :)

mk_in_mke
Dec 22, 2003, 11:32 AM
We have been spoiled this year. Apple delivered great products and updates. Let's hope that this year's announcements will be better. Here is my list to Santa "Steve":

- Dual 3.0 Ghz G5
- New LCD monitor line and lower prices
- Word processor + Spreadsheet (I am soooo fed up with MS Office)
- Updated pro apps (new features in FCP, DVD SP)
- Handheld device using OSX or OSX Lite...
That should make it
:D

latergator116
Dec 22, 2003, 11:33 AM
ahhh. I have to go back to school on monday.

wdlove
Dec 22, 2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Chealion
When was the last time they streamed live? And didn't stream it a few hours after the event?

Have had difficulty with a streaming video via QuickTime in the past. My thoughts turn toward visiting my local Apple Store pior to 12n. Hopefully any new items will be available for view at the Store.

I won't speculate, then I can be pleasantly suprised with whatever Steve announces. :)

JGowan
Dec 22, 2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by the future Come to daddy, 20th anniversary G5 cube... I've seen more than several posts here about a G5 Cube for Macs 20th...

Somebody needs to remind a few of you that the Cube was a dramatic failure.

[ insert reminder her ] THE CUBE WAS A DRAMATIC FAILURE. [ /close reminder ]

If Apple releases this, I'll buy one and eat it on national tv.

tny
Dec 22, 2003, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by JGowan
I've seen more than several posts here about a G5 Cube for Macs 20th...

Remember, the reason the Cube was a dramatic failure is because it had a relatively high-end processor and a high-end price for a form factor designed for schools etc. A G4 cube NOW (at a low price point, comparable to an iBook) might not do so badly.

deputy_doofy
Dec 22, 2003, 11:56 AM

I want to watch that. You should buy the G4 cube and eat it, anyway. Make it a pay-per-view event (and then you can buy another one).

warcraftmaster
Dec 22, 2003, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by latergator116
ahhh. I have to go back to school on monday.

I HEAR YA:rolleyes:
HOW DO YOU tell when its starts in your time am pst i think
well thx you

wPod
Dec 22, 2003, 12:10 PM
lets think about this logically, sure all of us would love a G5 cube, or quad G5, but what has been longest w/o an update? monitors and servers. servers most certainly should get a G5 then maybe this new form factor monitors will be released as well. plus, what is apples biggist money maker? the iPod. and what is happening in feb? big promotion for iTunes (and thus iPod) so there will surely be a new announcment about an iPod, either cheaper prices or a lower end model for the masses, either way something the 'pepsi' crowd can buy w/o blinking at. and if there is going to be a 20th aniversary mac it will likely NOT be headless . . . at least that is my guess. . . it seems headless macs have always been designed for higher end so thats not really the idea of the original macintosh. as for the vPod. . . i think it has been mentioned that that is a ways off (if steve is only recently looking for someone that can design audio/video for the iPod) . . . but hey, maybe there will be a surprise for all of us a dual G5 cube with at least 2 PCI-X slots and an AGP slot that can support any full size AGP cards. . . all for a reasonable price!

Sir_Giggles
Dec 22, 2003, 12:25 PM
Here it is folks for the 20th Anniversary!

in no particular order

1. NEW lineup of Cinema Displays sporting thinner aluminum bezels at 0.5" as opposed to the 2" bezels on current LCDs. Thinner and lighter with heat dissipation through the aluminum chassis

2. Dual G5 Xserves - no duh, seen that one coming.

3. SPEED bumped all-dual G5 towers with a modified form factor, to allow for 2 optical drives and 4 internal HDs.

4. 60GB Ipod with @home features, also including CD-quality line-in recording, larger, brighter displays using OLED technology. Steve will also introduce a slim-down $149 iPod.

5. Single processor G5 models for the entire iMac lineup, with new form factor allowing for a modular design of base and display.

6. Speed-bumped iBooks and PowerBooks.

7. one more thing.. that'll remain a secret. the little birdy told me not to tell anyone so I have to keep this one a secret.

the future
Dec 22, 2003, 12:27 PM

The Cube was just ahead of it's time and too expensive as well. But recently small, silent, cube-shaped boxes are all the rage in the PC world, and in this climate a new Cube could very well be a success. In two different ways, actually: as an expensive, high-end, limited edition 20th anniversary model *or* as a relatively cheap, headless option (vs. all-in-one models like the iMac/eMac and vs. the high-end Powermac towers).

Oh, and if you'll eat one on national TV (or harm one in any other way), the members of cubeowner.com will hunt you down and do unspeakable things to you they love them Cubes, you know... ;)

louden
Dec 22, 2003, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Sir_Giggles
Here it is folks for the 20th Anniversary!

1. NEW lineup of Cinema Displays sporting thinner aluminum bezels at 0.5" as opposed to the 2" bezels on current LCDs. Thinner and lighter with heat dissipation through the aluminum chassis

I agree with the need for new displays. Apple needs some way to allow users to place monitors side by side, and with 4 inches of bezel between displays as well as the inability to set them at 90 degrees makes that difficult.

I'd also like to see higher res screens on the PowerBooks (My Dell has 1400X1050 in a what can't be more than a 14 inch screen)

I'd also like to see PCMCIA slots in the 12" Powerbooks. I love the form factor, but need a smart card reader. Get on it!

louden
Dec 22, 2003, 12:39 PM
My prediction would be to have an Apple branded iPod Smartphone.

Why not include the two together? I'm sure they can make it work with they can use one of those new Toshiba hard drives. Think of the possibilities. They already have a contact and calander view on the new iPod. iSync already works. Just extend the abiity a touch and add a phone. I'd trust Apple to make it look cool.

Smart Phones will be a much bigger market than PDA's. I think MS, Palm and others are finding that out. They can then tie it to .Mac, and turn those users into a monthly cash stream.

If I were making strategic investments at Apple, that's what I'd do - before MS runs away with the market.

GovornorPhatt
Dec 22, 2003, 12:51 PM
In the past, I have been very pleased with Apple's keynote webcasts. I think that Apple may release a low cost, 150 $ iPod for teenagers. It would be great for people who only want to store a few songs rather than 2000. iPodrocks.com (http://www.ipodrocks.com/) , a site launched by Apple just in time for the holidays, shows that Apple may have an interst in marketing to kids. Either that, or a mini iPod with a Toshiba 0.85 inch drive (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/12/20031215121009.shtml)!

Doctor Q
Dec 22, 2003, 12:54 PM
My only prediction is that I will enjoy the keynote show as always. Steve Jobs is a great performer. Even if they sent him out there with nothing to announce but a new version of Stickies and a new Apple-branded mousepad, he'd somehow make them look cool and exciting.

~Shard~
Dec 22, 2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by jholzner

But that would be unethical. ... Why didn't I think of that yet? Must be losing my touch... :cool:

jesuscandle
Dec 22, 2003, 01:15 PM
I've heard lots of rumors about:

1) New iMac
2) Tablet Mac
3) New Cube

Kicking these around in my head, I thought of something that combined all three.

Imagine a new iMac much like the current model, only with a squarish base. Oh, and you can unhook the screen from its swivel arm and walk around your house with it wirelessly. Maybe even go remote with a briefcase-sized PDA.

I'm pretty sure this is a complete load of hooey, but it DOES take into account a number of rumors. Plus, it would be a hugely cool.

I don't have a clue what I need a tablet based monitor for, but it sounds super cool, don't it?

~Shard~
Dec 22, 2003, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by jesuscandle
I've heard lots of rumors about:

1) New iMac
2) Tablet Mac
3) New Cube

Kicking these around in my head, I thought of something that combined all three.

Imagine a new iMac much like the current model, only with a squarish base. Oh, and you can unhook the screen from its swivel arm and walk around your house with it wirelessly. Maybe even go remote with a briefcase-sized PDA.

I'm pretty sure this is a complete load of hooey, but it DOES take into account a number of rumors. Plus, it would be a hugely cool.

I don't have a clue what I need a tablet based monitor for, but it sounds super cool, don't it?

These types of products already exist - we have tablet PCs in our R&D lab at work which allow you to remove the monitor, walk around the office with it, use a stylus (or just your finger) on it, etc. I'm sure if Apple released something like this though they would improve on it and add in a lot of other cool features as well though. :)

MacsRgr8
Dec 22, 2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Doctor Q
My only prediction is that I will enjoy the keynote show as always. Steve Jobs is a great performer. Even if they sent him out there with nothing to announce but a new version of Stickies and a new Apple-branded mousepad, he'd somehow make them look cool and exciting.

Exactly!

jesuscandle
Dec 22, 2003, 01:37 PM
These types of products already exist - we have tablet PCs in our R&D lab at work which allow you to remove the monitor, walk around the office with it, use a stylus (or just your finger) on it, etc. I'm sure if Apple released something like this though they would improve on it and add in a lot of other cool features as well though. :)

Well, perhaps you can enlighten us. What exactly do I need a detachable monitor for?

iomar
Dec 22, 2003, 01:39 PM
Wow, this sounds really good. I think there will be a lot of interesting announcements. I think will see a drop on LCD monitors! I can't wait to get one of them!

bb0ys
Dec 22, 2003, 01:47 PM
during the keynote the g5 powermac will be upgraded to 2.6 or 3.0ghz top end. g5 iMac running at current (12/22/03) clock speeds will be announced at the end of the keynote as a "by the way"

~Shard~
Dec 22, 2003, 02:14 PM
Well, perhaps you can enlighten us. What exactly do I need a detachable monitor for?

Don't know, what do you need one for? Our R&D has one to play with. :cool: We have it, along with other toys, for future applications, and well, because it's an R&D lab! We have IP fridges, IP lamps, all sorts of satellite toys, and a lot of other useless stuff too. ;)

~Shard~
Dec 22, 2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by bb0ys
during the keynote the g5 powermac will be upgraded to 2.6 or 3.0ghz top end. g5 iMac running at current (12/22/03) clock speeds will be announced at the end of the keynote as a "by the way"

Highly doubtful. Speed bumps will definitely be announced for the PowerMacs, however not up to 3 GHz quite yet. Jobs initially mentioned we would see 3 GHz machines later next year (to paraphrase) so I'd be looking for them more likely in the summer timeframe, shipping in the fall, or announced early fall and shipping immediately. 3 GHz iss too much of a speed bump from the current 1.6, 1.8, 2.0 lineup. I agree with the other posters and other rumors that 2.2, 2.4 and 2.6 would be more likey, and perhaps a 2.6 won't even be released, as the low end PM will become a single 2.0.

As for G5 iMacs, Apple will not release a G5 iMac:

a) so soon (relatively) after the brand new G5 chip has been released (only 6 months ago) - how long did it take before the iMac received a G4 after the G4 introduction in the PM?

b) before a G5 xServe comes out, and G5 PowerBooks are close to being completed. A consumer-level model will not receive a brand new chip before pro machines like xServe and PBs.

c) in general before other things are updated, i.e. the aforementioned PM speed boosts, G5 xServes, and also LCDs, plus new iApps.

Just how many major announcements do you think Jobs will make at MWSF? ;)

Phobophobia
Dec 22, 2003, 02:54 PM
Just how many major announcements do you think Jobs will make at MWSF? ;) [/B]

Enough to warrant having a live stream...

Rustus Maximus
Dec 22, 2003, 03:20 PM
Highly doubtful. Speed bumps will definitely be announced for the PowerMacs, however not up to 3 GHz quite yet. Jobs initially mentioned we would see 3 GHz machines later next year (to paraphrase) so I'd be looking for them more likely in the summer timeframe, shipping in the fall, or announced early fall and shipping immediately. 3 GHz iss too much of a speed bump from the current 1.6, 1.8, 2.0 lineup. I agree with the other posters and other rumors that 2.2, 2.4 and 2.6 would be more likey, and perhaps a 2.6 won't even be released, as the low end PM will become a single 2.0.

As for G5 iMacs, Apple will not release a G5 iMac:

a) so soon (relatively) after the brand new G5 chip has been released (only 6 months ago) - how long did it take before the iMac received a G4 after the G4 introduction in the PM?

b) before a G5 xServe comes out, and G5 PowerBooks are close to being completed. A consumer-level model will not receive a brand new chip before pro machines like xServe and PBs.

c) in general before other things are updated, i.e. the aforementioned PM speed boosts, G5 xServes, and also LCDs, plus new iApps.

Just how many major announcements do you think Jobs will make at MWSF? ;)

I think the most important thing to remember about all those a's, b's and c's you just mentioned are that you are still using Motorola thinking in regards to what can or can't be done or what should or should not be achievable in such a short period of time.

It's going to be an interesting keynote at any rate and whatever he introduces I'm sure it will be beyond what any of us Apple faithful have been used to seeing before the shift to IBM.

Hawthorne
Dec 22, 2003, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Phobophobia
Enough to warrant having a live stream...
Bingo!
Something fairly major is coming. Does anyone have a breakdown of which recent Stevenotes have been live, and what was announced? That might give us more clues as to the significance of what's coming.

kenaustus
Dec 22, 2003, 03:53 PM
I'm holdong off buying an iMac until Steve has finished talking simply because I think there is a chance for a G5 iMac. My reasoning is that IBM is performing and the price is giong down - especially with the 90 nm production ramping up. I think IBM might be delivering at a rate and at a price that will make it financially attractive to shift the iMacs to G5s.

With speed increases in the hands of IBM (and not Moto) we are going to be in a new world of advancements moving ahead at a very fast clip. I think the PM case was designed for rapid advancements and believe a new iMac will move to the same level of adaptability.

Gonna continue to be a hell of a year for Apple.

sjk
Dec 22, 2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by wms121
5. Solaris 9 for Mac (cause McNealy loves Steve so much...; )Nope, Solaris X. :D

x86isslow
Dec 22, 2003, 05:18 PM
steve-note

since apple seems to be going back to companies that saved its hide in the past-
pepsi gave us sculley, who got the financial house in order
ibm gave us g3 after the long wait for 604e,
adobe saved the original macintosh line by releasing desktop publishing apps,
maybe steve standing up there with a xerox rep, and talking about a new line of products that were jointly developed. (i know its impossible, just playin' ;) )

seriously though, aren't there IBM 970 bladeservers in the pipeline for a spring release? we're probably going to see one last shift up the chain in portables.
pb: 15, 17 to 1.42, 12 to 1.33
ib: 14 to 1.25, 1, and 12i to 933.
then in the spring, we'll see new xServes, powerbooks from 1.42g4->1.6g5, and updated ibooks at 1.33 (12i), 1.33(14) 1.42(14 ultimate)

for the stevenote, i'd expect low-end ipods(for pepsi's low-end consumers) and updated pm's, perhaps with a revision B case, supporting multiple optical drives, and since all the reviews seem to harp on the handles cutting into their skin, maybe apple will fix that?

Nermal
Dec 22, 2003, 05:24 PM
I'm not sure whether I can will myself to get up at 6 am. I might just watch it delayed, although I'll have to make sure I go DIRECTLY to the keynote stream when I wake up, and not read MacBytes first. Don't want to ruin it for myself.

Sir_Giggles
Dec 22, 2003, 06:03 PM
Christmas for me isn't December 25th, its next year on January 6th. :D

Santa Jobs is gonna bring us lil' kids the goodies! :)

~Shard~
Dec 22, 2003, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Rustus Maximus
I think the most important thing to remember about all those a's, b's and c's you just mentioned are that you are still using Motorola thinking in regards to what can or can't be done or what should or should not be achievable in such a short period of time.

It's going to be an interesting keynote at any rate and whatever he introduces I'm sure it will be beyond what any of us Apple faithful have been used to seeing before the shift to IBM.

Very true - the Mac community is rather used to the "Motorola way of thinking", and now that Apple is with IBM, I think more frequesnt updates and advancements will definitely occur. I just don't see the logical progression of updates involving an iMac right away with so many other updates due. But who knows, maybe Steve will completely blow us away and announce 17 updates at MWSF!

rdowns
Dec 22, 2003, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Mr.Hey
I love this time a year.

Have a happy Steve-note everyone :D.

p.s..oh....and a happy Xmas :D :).

Steve-note?

iNote? sNote?

Happy Festivus!!!

rdowns
Dec 22, 2003, 06:51 PM

There is plenty of diffrentiation if a fast G5 is put in an iMac.

No dual processor
No 8 GB RAM
No upgradeable video, no doubt an iMac would have a lower end video card
No PCI-X slots

sjk
Dec 22, 2003, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Nermal
I might just watch it delayed, ...IIRC the delayed rebroadcast is higher bandwidth than the live broadcast, but maybe not until the next day?

rdowns
Dec 22, 2003, 06:58 PM

Well I've always wanted to read MacRumors in the crapper.

sjk
Dec 22, 2003, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by rdowns
No upgradeable video, no doubt an iMac would have a lower end video card
And the iMac (and iBook) are only capable of video mirroring to external displays.

Rustus Maximus
Dec 23, 2003, 07:14 AM
But who knows, maybe Steve will completely blow us away and announce 17 updates at MWSF!

What?? Only 17?? That's it...I'm switching to Intel and ridin' the range with Longhoooorrrrnnnnnn!! Yeeeha!! :D

szark
Dec 23, 2003, 09:11 AM
But who knows, maybe Steve will completely blow us away and announce 17 updates at MWSF!

He'll actually announce 20 new products & updates -- one to celebrate each year of the Macintosh! :D

ph_555_shag
Dec 23, 2003, 09:25 AM
WOOOOHOOOOOO 20 ANNOUNCEMENTS.................. WICKED :D

iChan
Dec 23, 2003, 10:27 AM
I can barely contain myself with the excitment.

wdlove
Dec 23, 2003, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by szark
He'll actually announce 20 new products & updates -- one to celebrate each year of the Macintosh! :D

That sounds real cool szark, thank you for the celebration. Will the 20th Anniversary Mac be announced as #1 or #20? Maybe a nice buildup to an awesome cresendo.

the future
Jan 1, 2004, 08:09 AM
Maybe it's just me, but the site where the webcast will supposedly be has been down for several days now, hasn't it? I'm such a nerd to get nervous about something like this...

ph_555_shag
Jan 3, 2004, 07:30 AM
yep the site is down.......ARRRG......

ph_555_shag
Jan 3, 2004, 09:12 AM
wicked I'm a macrumors member now haven't noticed that before ... kool

pkradd
Jan 3, 2004, 10:27 AM
Don't worry. Site will be back up on Sunday or Monday. Apple is just playing games. This has happened before. Satellite coordinates were given a few weeks ago as well. (Sorry don't have them).

jero
Jan 3, 2004, 11:16 AM
cube steve, thanks.

squirrellydw
Jan 3, 2004, 03:22 PM
I'm going with xserves and new G5 iMacs with a new form factor. I think new iMacs are not out of the question. It to early for G5 PB because of the heat issue expect them in July. Just my guess.

Mr. Anderson
Jan 3, 2004, 03:37 PM
I'll probably try and get the web cast, but most likely end up reloading pages at MR for the updates.....Apple's track record for streaming these things is pretty spotty.

D

wdlove
Jan 3, 2004, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
I'll probably try and get the web cast, but most likely end up reloading pages at MR for the updates.....Apple's track record for streaming these things is pretty spotty.

D

That has sadly been my experience also Mr. Anderson. It's the reason that my wife requested Tuesday as a day off from work. We are planning on going to the CambridgeSide Galleria Apple Store.