Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cherbert

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2007
Hello,

I have just ordered a 40gb Apple TV from the Apple UK Store. I am very interested in getting the latest Patchstick software (when a 2.1 compatible version is released!).

Can someone direct me to a suitable USB stick that is known to be fully compatible with the Apple TV?

Thank you!

chas0001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
Alicante, SPAIN
I used my 1GB first generation iPod shuffle. Worked a treat. First check that the patchstick method you use is compatible with the latest version of the AppleTV software, which is currently 2.1 (not many are but should be very soon)

Check out these websites they may help select the correct USB drive in their forums:

PAID FOR : www.atvflash.com
DIY : iClarified
PAID FOR : www.atvmod.com
PAID FOR : http://www.atvpatch.com/ -- Currently not available because of a developer bust up over money.

tom1971

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
There is not really a "positive" list, but it is known that "Data Traveller" from Kingston and in general "Sandisk" USB drives have issues being recognized by aTV.
The ones that we use are only available in North America.
I would suggest, you start with a size between 512 MB and 1 GB, never more than 2 GB.
PM me if you need more info.

chas0001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
Alicante, SPAIN
Some people have reported a SD/MMC Card working in a USB SD/MMC reader. As Tom1971 stated, there is not really a definitive list. I would however recommend using a stick/memory card of at least 512MB.

ayale99

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2007
I would steer clear of 1gb SanDisk drives. I didn't have any luck with the first one I used. I believe 512mb is recommended. I ended up buying a generic 512 at my local drug store and got it to work just fine.

Good luck.

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
London, UK
I used a 2GB Kingston one and it worked fine. Remember to hook up your AppleTV to t'internet with a cable rather than wifi when it's patching - mine got stuck half way until I did this.

By the way, if you're hoping to use Couch Surfer to watch BBC iplayer on your TV, then don't get too excited. It works, but only in the small window within the iPlayer page. If you try to go full screen, couch surfer crashes.

tom1971

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
I used a 2GB Kingston one and it worked fine. Remember to hook up your AppleTV to t'internet with a cable rather than wifi when it's patching - mine got stuck half way until I did this.

That is only necessary for some patchsticks. Others work without Internet access during the Patching process.

crotalus99

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2007
I got a sony 1Gb at Target on sale a while back for $10 and it has worked well for 2 updates with atvflash.

gatorback

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2011
Error: Could not write to the USB device (Code: 87)! The parameter is incorrect.

Here are some that do NOT work (87 Error):

* 2GB Sandisk Cruzer (WalMart)
* 8GB Centon Datastick Pro (CompUSA)
* 256MB USB Drive of unknown brand and pedigree
* 2GB USB Drive issued at a job fair (unknown brand and pedigree)

My ATV arrives tomorrow. So I am hoping to have this squared away before then.

I am assuming that I am trying to write a ~240 MB .dmg file to the USB drive. Any guidance or suggestions are appreciated.

UPDATE: I restored a (715MB) .hfs (2.hfs) file to the 8GB Centon USB memory stick. No errors. Is there a test procedure that can be performed to verify that this will patch my ATV and zorch it?

UPDATE: The .hfs image can be read from my friend's Intel Mac. The image label is 'OSBOOT'. I reimaged the drive with the 'SSH_Launcher.img' file, whose label is 'PATCHSTICK', when plugged into the Mac.

UPDATE: ATV arrived today!!! Unfortunately I need to get cables to hook it up to the projector. Fortunately, i found a youtube video that depicts an ATV unit undergoing the patchstick process. Now I know what a success will be.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.