PDA

View Full Version : Call of Duty 4 for 13 yr old?

douglas
Jul 16, 2008, 11:48 AM
I'm the parent of a 13 yr old who dearly wants to purchase COD 4, and so am looking for your advice. Is this game appropriate and worthwhile for this age group? Creative, or just mind-numbing violence? Are there other games he should be considering? I'm not big on shooter games in general for kids, but they are hard to avoid. Anything available that taxes the mind and not just the reflexes?

You guys are the experts (and/or the converted?) so we'd appreciate your advice. By the way the games need to play on a G4 Mini 1.5 with 1GB RAM and 64Mb of VRAM, so obviously some graphic limitations there. Thanks.

mikeyPotg
Jul 16, 2008, 12:00 PM
I'm no parent, but I have a younger brother who I really don't mind playing that game. From what I've seen, its really a great game. On top of the graphics being amazing, the game play is on point and the progression of the story is awesome. They have you do so many different types of missions from all types of different perspectives.

I really don't see a problem with the game, & I think you'd also enjoy it... BUT, keep in mind, if you play it online, the experience will change depending on what type of people you play against.

gocardsfan1
Jul 16, 2008, 12:13 PM
It should be fine if your son doesn't play online. But, if he wants to play online (which he probably will) it may not be a good idea. It's not the violence that's a problem, but the type of language you run into when playing online is pretty bad. One solution could be to buy a Bluetooth headset that connects to the game and just keep it on and out of earshot so that all the noise from fellow online players will come from the headset instead of the mac. That way, your son doesn't hear the language but can still play online.

nomar383
Jul 16, 2008, 12:38 PM
I don't think COD4 will run on a mini to begin with, unless I misunderstood you

lancestraz
Jul 16, 2008, 12:57 PM
COD 4 is rated "Mature" for: Intense Violence, Strong Language, Blood and Gore.
Not appropriate for a 13 year old, in my opinion.

I don't think COD4 will run on a mini to begin with, unless I misunderstood you
Yep. System requirements (http://www.aspyr.com/product/game_specs/88).

TSE
Jul 16, 2008, 01:11 PM
I would not get the game. From what I've seen, a lot of the kids at my school come back saying "owned" and swearing out of their minds because of the game. Of course it is the least active and athletic kids playing the game and doing it, but still.

Besides, your Mac Mini cannot even run it. It needs a pretty hefty Intel computer with dedicated graphics to run it.

iTeen
Jul 16, 2008, 01:39 PM
I would not get the game. From what I've seen, a lot of the kids at my school come back saying "owned" and swearing out of their minds because of the game. Of course it is the least active and athletic kids playing the game and doing it, but still.

Besides, your Mac Mini cannot even run it. It needs a pretty hefty Intel computer with dedicated graphics to run it.
I hope you are not serious. You really think they are swearing because of this game?

Jeeze get off the drugs man. :rolleyes:.

douglas
Jul 16, 2008, 01:40 PM

Yep. System requirements (http://www.aspyr.com/product/game_specs/88).

Thanks for the input. Sounds like son's Mini wouldn't handle the game anyway. Any suggestions for great and appropriate games that we should consider (Starcraft, for one, is a hit here)?

chaosbunny
Jul 16, 2008, 01:47 PM
Yes Starcraft will run great, Diablo 2, Warcraft 3 too.
And Call of Duty 1 will run, maybe even CoD 2 on low settings.
There are demos around of all of them.

And I wouldn't worry about your son playing violent games, as long as it's not the only thing he is doing and you still spend as much time as possible with him.

nomar383
Jul 16, 2008, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the input. Sounds like son's Mini wouldn't handle the game anyway. Any suggestions for great and appropriate games that we should consider (Starcraft, for one, is a hit here)?

Starcraft, warcraft, and maybe even wow would probably work well

Mackilroy
Jul 16, 2008, 02:12 PM
Sim City 4 is a fun game and entirely nonviolent. You could also try the Spore Creature Creator (not really a game, but it's fun nonetheless), and for simpler, less complex games that the Mini could run easily, try DEFCON, Redline, and Sketchfighter from Ambrosia Software.

spyker3292
Jul 16, 2008, 03:35 PM
Oh... G4. That limits some stuff. Go check out Ambrosia. Amazing games :).

Xander562
Jul 16, 2008, 05:01 PM
Hmm, yeah, 13 may be a little young for that kind of a game... Then again, it depends on the child. If he is mature and responsible, I would see no problem with that. However if you have reason to concern his morality-o-meter still has some developing to do, then I would wait a while. I would just tell him it won't run on his computer though. As for fun and age-appropriate games. I've played The Sims well before that age, also the SimCity series is fun. Starcraft is also great, but WoW I've never really gotten into. Tried it, didn't like it all that much. There aren't many mac choices as far as games I'm afraid.

ShadowXOR
Jul 16, 2008, 05:11 PM
Perfectly fine for him IMO.

kmkl
Jul 16, 2008, 06:50 PM
IMO, its totally fine, if he understands what it is he is doing.
Make sure he is well behaved and then let him play.
If he is a overall calm kid, it won't really change him.
If he has frequent tantrums, probably not the best for him.

So, I guess it would be totally fine, unless he is that specific example.

StealthRider
Jul 16, 2008, 07:48 PM
Besides the fact that your computer won't run the game...I honestly don't think that the violence in the game is the problem for younger kids. The intensity of the action was even enough to make me need to take "breather" breaks throughout, and I'm an adult with (limited) combat training. I don't think that the intensity level is appropriate for anyone under 16 or so.

douglas
Jul 19, 2008, 01:23 AM
Besides the fact that your computer won't run the game...I honestly don't think that the violence in the game is the problem for younger kids. The intensity of the action was even enough to make me need to take "breather" breaks throughout, and I'm an adult with (limited) combat training. I don't think that the intensity level is appropriate for anyone under 16 or so.

Thanks for the thoughtful advice. I suspected (incorrectly) that readers of this forum would have been blind gaming converts. My error.

dukebound85
Jul 19, 2008, 01:29 AM
Starcraft, warcraft, and maybe even wow would probably work well

i would not get a 13year old playing wow. talk about wasting your life away

as far as cod4, my 13y/o brother plays it as well as halo1/2/3, ghost recon and such. maybe its because he has brothers who are 19, 21 and 23 but yea lol. when i was that age, my parents wouldnt let me watch ninja turtles. anything is ok in moderation i believe

but seriously, dont let him get hooked on wow

Dagless
Jul 19, 2008, 03:18 AM

For that reason alone I say it's not a good idea.

But that said I was playing Duke3D when I was 10 and Mortal Kombat even earlier and I'm far from a violent, cuss happy young adult. :)

muldul
Jul 19, 2008, 09:40 AM
It really depends on what your child is like. But i know many parents who own this game and let their 12, 13 and 14 year olds play it. It is very violent, but not entirely mindless violence, there is some story to it. I would say that you buy the game, and let your child play it, under your supervision.

skye12
Jul 19, 2008, 10:52 AM
Simple-NO. Kids play way too much-should limit to one hour a day.

maccam
Jul 19, 2008, 11:49 AM
I hope you are not serious. You really think they are swearing because of this game?

Jeeze get off the drugs man. :rolleyes:.

People do swear because of the influence of the game.

In my mind NO ONE should play these kind of games, if they didn't the world wouldn't be as bad as it is! :(

nomar383
Jul 19, 2008, 11:55 AM

In my mind NO ONE should play these kind of games, if they didn't the world wouldn't be as bad as it is! :(

Whoa there cowboy! lol, what people need to understand is the difference between right and wrong and the ability to make the right choice. A video game may have a negative influence, but it is still the individual's choice to swear or be violent. Video games aren't ruining the world, improper parenting is! It starts with the parents letting the child know what is acceptable. The video game isn't teaching violence, the parents just aren't teaching non-violence to begin with.

I hope that makes sense, I am trying to word it correctly

maccam
Jul 19, 2008, 11:58 AM
Whoa there cowboy! lol, what people need to understand is the difference between right and wrong and the ability to make the right choice. A video game may have a negative influence, but it is still the individual's choice to swear or be violent. Video games aren't ruining the world, improper parenting is! It starts with the parents letting the child know what is acceptable. The video game isn't teaching violence, the parents just aren't teaching non-violence to begin with.

I hope that makes sense, I am trying to word it correctly

Video games ARE teaching violence!
And what I'm saying is there's nothing good about this game.

kahine
Jul 19, 2008, 01:32 PM
Video games ARE teaching violence!
And what I'm saying is there's nothing good about this game.

No kidding ,

Damn that rock and roll also it's causing all kinds of lewd behavior

And those comic books need to go too - terrible influence

Probably need to censor TV down to just the Lawrence Welk show also - too much violence and sex on there -

Next up will be burning all books deemed "bad"

nomar383
Jul 19, 2008, 02:15 PM
No kidding ,

Probably need to censor TV down to just the Lawrence Welk show also - too much violence and sex on there -

This is basically what I meant (kahine is just a little more blunt lol) :)

maccam
Jul 19, 2008, 02:39 PM
No kidding ,

Thats exactly right Kahine, it would be great if none of that existed.
And FYI me and my family have none of the above you listed.

Like I said the world would be better off without stuff like that.
In fact I know a guy who killed people from the influence of a horrible book he read. If you need proof I'll be happy to post it. :)

JNB
Jul 19, 2008, 03:39 PM

In fact I know a guy who killed people from the influence of a horrible book he read. If you need proof I'll be happy to post it. :)]

I think your sarcasm switch isn't working right...

Dagless
Jul 19, 2008, 03:47 PM

Whooaaaa hold up there nelly!

As I said before, I played Duke 3D, Doom, Quake, Mortal Kombat 1-3, Street Fighter etc. All way before I was 11 years old. But I had good parents who taught me the difference between games and real life. I grew up pacifist, I don't swear much, I don't drink and have never done drugs and I've been going out with a nice catholic girl for the last 6 years.
Yet there I was. Pressing space bar on the pole dancers in Duke Nukem :D

Of course you get nutters who read books and go killing people, it's the same as when people watch a film and feel sad, uplifted or empowered. It just takes good, real role models to follow.

kahine
Jul 19, 2008, 04:17 PM

In fact I know a guy who killed people from the influence of a horrible book he read. If you need proof I'll be happy to post it. :)

Then the guy had his own issues - was his problem not the book's

Explain to me how in the hell you think we shouldn't have video games or books that are "bad" but you use the internet ? Shouldnt we ban the internet also ?

maccam
Jul 19, 2008, 04:25 PM
Then the guy had his own issues - was his problem not the book's

Explain to me how in the hell you think we shouldn't have video games or books that are "bad" but you use the internet ? Shouldnt we ban the internet also ?

Yes, all the bad internet sites should be removed... Macrumors is not one of them. :cool: (And we will be getting rid of the internet soon).

JNB
Jul 19, 2008, 04:36 PM
Yes, all the bad internet sites should be removed... Macrumors is not one of them. :cool: (And we will be getting rid of the internet soon).

Regardless of your personal beliefs regarding what the rest of us should or shouldn't be allowed to see or do, the thread is starting to move into PRSI territory (now there's an MR Forum I think you might have issues with) if it isn't already there. Broad-brush statements of a social nature are not destined to gather rational commentary. No good can come from continuing in this vein.

muldul
Jul 19, 2008, 04:44 PM
I'm sorry, WHAT!?:eek:
No way in hell are we going to get rid of the internet soon. The use of the internet is just beginning (digital distribution of media (itunes)). I do agree that some games should be censored because of their content, and guess what, they are!

maccam
Jul 19, 2008, 05:18 PM
I do agree that some games should be censored because of their content, and guess what, they are!

Guess what, they aren't!!!

And I meant MY family will be getting rid of the net.

dukebound85
Jul 19, 2008, 05:23 PM

a lot of games are or they have ratings such as MA on them and such. same with music. wal-mart even offers censored versions of albums:eek:

however, when people start telling me what i can and can not watch or let my children watch, that is what i take issues with as they have no right.

as far as you getting rid of the internet, good for you:cool:

muldul
Jul 19, 2008, 05:37 PM

sorry, i thought you meant something else. Why would you get rid of the internet though, if it is the content on it that you are worried about why not add extensive blockers to stop yourself being exposed to it. That way you get the best of both worlds.

Dagless
Jul 19, 2008, 06:04 PM
sorry, i thought you meant something else. Why would you get rid of the internet though, if it is the content on it that you are worried about why not add extensive blockers to stop yourself being exposed to it. That way you get the best of both worlds.

That's not nearly as radical enough.

SkyBell
Jul 19, 2008, 06:38 PM
Back OT...:rolleyes:

Halo is a good game that will run well on your mini. (It runs well on my 1.3 GHz iBook G4 with 512 MB of RAM) It's probably one of the modern classics, I'm sure your son will enjoy it.

muldul
Jul 19, 2008, 06:43 PM
That's not nearly as radical enough.

true:rolleyes:

Where can you buy a cop of halo for the mac from? They don't seem to sell it on the apple website any more and i don't live anywhere near an apple store. And how well will it work on a 2.4 macbook (black)

Mose9634
Jul 19, 2008, 07:29 PM
I'm a huge fan of COD4. I think it's one of the better games to come out in many years. That said, I don't know that it's appropriate for a 13 year old. COD4 is a war game. It follows a couple of different allies (British and US if I remember correctly, been a while) in a terrorist hunting type situation. Through the course of the story, many (good and bad) things happen. Some of the situations that you're placed in are incredibly intense - not from an action perspective, but from a storytelling perspective. That's what sets COD4 off from many (most?) other FPS's - the story is very engaging and INTENSE.

Mindless over-the-top violence is one thing - very realistic violence against characters that you've encountered for several hours during the story is another.

It's been a long time since I've been or even been around 13 year olds, but if I remember that age accurately, 13 year olds would be on the border of the age group that could handle COD4. I'd say play through it yourself. You're the only one that knows your kid well enough, and all kids are different. Plus, you'd be playing one of the best games to come out in recent times.

Also, if your kid wants to play online, you'll run into the usual online immature trash talk. Not saying it's bad, but just go in eyes open - anyone playing COD4 online will be hit with language that could be considered to be far more profane than anything you'd hear in any movie anywhere (think locker room talk++++ with some racism and sexism mixed in). Nothing anyone that plays online hasn't heard many times before, but a newbie might be a little shocked :)

bmb012
Jul 20, 2008, 01:29 AM
Well, I don't think a single person here can tell you what to let your kids play. It really depends on what you think they can handle and understand (or go right over their head, heh).

I completely respect that you're trying to find out more information about a game before letting the kid play it, though. Without ragging too much on the people who think that any kid shouldn't be playing certain games (though I would say GTAIV is the closest to being an absolute on that one...).

So, I'd say the best thing for us to do is inform the OP about the content of the game... YouTube is a great source for in game footage, I think that this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO4caTLqqoM) was one of the original gameplay trailers, so it should be pretty representative of a typical gameplay experience, if anything, with a bias towards more action.

As for online multiplayer, when I play online on 360, very rarely does anyone actually talk in CoD4, but I would definitely recommend muting everyone, however you can do that. Some of the stuff I've heard during Halo matches would straight up eat your sanity alive...

reberto
Jul 20, 2008, 02:23 AM
I played Quake 1 and both Doom 1 and 2 when I was 6-7 years old, and yet for some reason at nearly the age of 17 I am completely normal! Why? Because my parents told me the difference between what was real and what was fake. I knew from a very young age that killing people on the computer was perfectly ok, and that doing that stuff in real life was wrong. You don't see people jumping on other peoples heads hoping coins come out after playing Mario now do you? As long as parents burn it into their kids heads that doing the same things in games like GTA is wrong in the real world but perfectly ok in the virtual world, there is nothing to worry about.

patmort02
Jul 20, 2008, 10:56 AM
Personally, I have been playing the most violent video games since I got my super nintendo way back when. I'm 20 now and I can honestly say that I am one of the least violent people you will ever meet. I have two brothers, both of whom I have never even punched. I also rarely swear or cuss.

All in all I think it has a lot to do with parenting. My mother brought me up well so it didn't matter what kind of video games I played.

Ornryactor
Jul 20, 2008, 12:38 PM
i would not get a 13year old playing wow. talk about wasting your life away
but seriously, dont let him get hooked on wow
Yes, yes, yes, and yes! I played WOW for 3 years, and was addicted for more than 2 of those. (I'm a college student.) Yeah, it CAN be a fun game, depending on who's playing it, but it is quite addicting, to the point that homework and sleep usually fall by the wayside. On top of that, it was incredibly annoying having the 13-year olds running around asking stupid questions and spamming the chat boxes... But yes, absolutely do not allow your child to play WOW. It's for gameplay addiction reasons, to say absolutely nothing of paying $15 a month on top of purchasing the game.

Dan.Dare
Jul 22, 2008, 09:03 AM
Douglas

If you permit your 13year old to watch a film like Black Hawk Down then there is really no issue here. However, the subject matter of CoD4 is not really aimed at a young teenager. The game is intense and violent.

My view is that video games do not cause problems but could act as the catalyst for latent problems in some kids. It's quite easy to understand that some adults live in a fantasy world because they do not have sufficient contact with real people beyond their internet connection. I think if you allow your child to play CoD4 then just restrict it to short bursts (no pun intended).

I would also echo the comments about the multiplayer swearing. Yes it's there, yes it's not pleasant to hear and it is not just kids being unpleasant either.

morespce54
Jul 22, 2008, 10:08 AM

agreed. my nephew (13 y/o) was playing (local) the other day and he asked me to do parts of some levels. Not because it was hard, not even because it was violent but mainly because it was nerves wrecking...

CJM
Jul 22, 2008, 10:31 AM
Hmm, yeah, 13 may be a little young for that kind of a game... Then again, it depends on the child. If he is mature and responsible, I would see no problem with that. However if you have reason to concern his morality-o-meter still has some developing to do, then I would wait a while. I would just tell him it won't run on his computer though. As for fun and age-appropriate games. I've played The Sims well before that age, also the SimCity series is fun. Starcraft is also great, but WoW I've never really gotten into. Tried it, didn't like it all that much. There aren't many mac choices as far as games I'm afraid.

Thank you! Christ almighty, someone who sees some sense. Don't judge whether a game is right for your child based on the rating, but more on your own assessment of his maturity.

I tell you, if someone told me what content I could and could not consume at 13 I'd've gone up the flippin' wall ;P

On another note, CoD4 is awesome yes, but probably won't run on your Mac Mini. I have to tone it down for my iMac as it is.

Starcraft, WoW, Warcraft, various Ambrosia games and even Lugaru should run fine and are good entertainment (at a fairly reasonable price these days)

For a future purchase, I couldn't recommend Spore any more; it's set to be a great Sim game.

savar
Jul 22, 2008, 11:23 AM
13 seems young for call of duty 4, but I can remember when I was in 6th grade and my mom got me street fighter 2 for christmas. She had the same reservations at the time about that game, but obviously it didn't warp my mind. I'm 25 now, and obviously I swear, but I learned that from my parents and not from any video game. COD doesn't even have bad language in it that I can remember.

We did have fun fighting like street fighters, but we never tried to hurt each other, and we obviously never threw weapons at each other -- I mean we kids but we weren't idiots. Most people don't give kids credit for how smart they are... assuming that you're raising them right.

COD is much more realistic that SF2 ever was, but I don't know if that matters.

In some ways it is educational. It teaches you that war is extremely unfair: you can play perfect strategy and still get killed just because the situation goes against you. Of course, it also glosses over things like when are you morally justified in killing somebody.

I think the bottom line is that it's case by case. I'd be more worried about the addictive qualities of the game than the violent qualities, since most 13 year olds have seen violent movies, but few are aware of the dangers of addiction. The game is highly addictive, and I don't necessarily mean that in a good way, even though it is one of my favorite games ever made.

CJM
Jul 22, 2008, 11:52 AM
On the hardest mode, you could also vaguely argue that it teaches combat technique... So if they ever wanna be a soldier ... :D

When I first played it, I found it really fun to be one of the guys doing a breach, or sneaking around knifing people from behind.

It's hella fun :)

jaikob
Jul 22, 2008, 12:01 PM
I'm the parent of a 13 yr old who dearly wants to purchase COD 4, and so am looking for your advice. Is this game appropriate and worthwhile for this age group? Creative, or just mind-numbing violence? Are there other games he should be considering? I'm not big on shooter games in general for kids, but they are hard to avoid. Anything available that taxes the mind and not just the reflexes?

You guys are the experts (and/or the converted?) so we'd appreciate your advice. By the way the games need to play on a G4 Mini 1.5 with 1GB RAM and 64Mb of VRAM, so obviously some graphic limitations there. Thanks.

Its a good history lesson. Really it is. The Chernobyl re-creation on that game was so friggen realistic and true to the actual site.

Other games like grand theft auto shooters are the ones to avoid.

Spikeanator6982
Jul 22, 2008, 12:17 PM
it depends on the child. If he is mature and responsible, I would see no problem with that.

Age isnt the main concern here, its what the child is ready for/can handle without negative results. You kinda have to use what you have seen you child do in the past to judge what he is responsible with now.

bobber205
Jul 22, 2008, 07:38 PM

Funniest, most ignorant, biased post evaaaar. :cool:

bobber205
Jul 22, 2008, 07:40 PM

The net will be better off with less people like you. Sorry. It's the truth.
(I apologize for the double post)

xparaparafreakx
Jul 22, 2008, 10:10 PM
Age isnt the main concern here, its what the child is ready for/can handle without negative results. You kinda have to use what you have seen you child do in the past to judge what he is responsible with now.

I played UT 1999 when I was 10 and I think I turned out okay. Age is a number that should be considered but you as a parent "should" know if he is ready to play it.

StealthRider
Jul 22, 2008, 11:41 PM
I played UT 1999 when I was 10 and I think I turned out okay. Age is a number that should be considered but you as a parent "should" know if he is ready to play it.

How intense was UT back then? Was it just run and gun, or was it a more personal experience? This all makes a difference.

However, he also might be too young to be affected by some things; such as the nuclear detonation - it shocked the hell out of me, but he might not "get it".

spyker3292
Jul 22, 2008, 11:58 PM
I actually thought about this for a bit longer. I think maybe you should just wait until he's in high school before letting him get M games. It isn't age 17. But it makes sense.

^And ya, that nuke was pretty creepy.

stainlessliquid
Jul 23, 2008, 12:28 AM
I think most FPS's are fine for 13 year olds. There are a few that would probably be inappropriate, like Doom 3.

A large majority of FPS's do not glorify violence, they are just fun games that take more skill to play than other genres, similar to sports since they take practice to get good at. COD4 is fine, same with games like Half Life.

Online games can be bad for kids though. Any kind of online game. Not because it causes them to be serial killers, but because they are very addictive and they WILL interfere with school. If a kid is competitive by nature they can totally control their lives. World of Warcraft would be a very poor decision to give to a kid who is in school, that game is addictive enough to adults.

But kids can get addicted to anything. When I was a kid I got addicted to skateboarding and it ran my life which caused me to fail classes, before that I was addicted to the arcade which caused me to steal money from my moms purse when I ran out of quarters. It was more of an addiction to competition though, since I wanted to be the best at those things since there were people to compete with at the arcade and out skateboarding. Parents need to watch out for video game addiction more than violence in video games.

ChrisN
Jul 23, 2008, 10:21 PM
I think it would be fine for him but like someone else said about a bluetooth headset that wouldnt work because its all text and you would need teamspeex or ventrilo server which costs money..

COD 1, 2, UO are also good games which can run i think.

ChrisN

czarny
Jul 25, 2008, 12:05 PM

There was a report on the news a few weeks ago which cited studies that showed that people who play FPS games are less likely to be violent than those who play no video games at all. I found it funny because everybody blames video games for violence. The biggest problem with video games is that they are such a waste of time (trust me, I know, I currently have 7 gaming systems hooked up to my tv, plus 2 computers, some handhelds and an iPod Touch with a couple new games). I think that if a 13 year old is mature enough to handle the game then they can be allowed to play it. My biggest gripe isn't the violence, it is the swearing. For example, I love UT3 on the PS3, but the way they cuss for no reason drives me insane. All games should come with an option to block out the swearing. It wouldn't be that hard, just add in some alternate texts.
As far as starcraft or warcraft go, those will have the kid sitting in front of the computer for hours on end. You can throw the Civ. series games in there as well, I know I wasted many days of my life on Civ II and Civ III and starcraft.

northy124
Jul 25, 2008, 12:12 PM
Didn't read thread but yhup I'd say that it is fine in UK it is rated 15/16 (If EU rated it, don't have box in front of me to say) seems not as violent or anything as some other war games I've played, My dad got it for my younger brother (10) and he hasn't been affected by playing it in anyway.

ZOMG
Jul 26, 2008, 12:14 AM
CoD4 is a really good game. 13 year olds should be able to buy what they want to buy with their own money if it isn't harmful to them.:mad:

CoD4 coming out on mac on august 25th:D

RamonPouw
Jul 26, 2008, 02:50 AM
Maybe you don't believe me..

But yesterday I spook to a 8 year old kid on the XBOX LIVE on Call of Duty..

And a 9 year also..

drewsof07
Jul 26, 2008, 08:59 AM
Yes, I think it is fine for a 13 year old. There are just a few scenes with a little bit of language, but nothing too coarse. And like any war game, it is slightly bloody. COD4 is probably the most realistic game I've played in a long time. I was also excited that they strayed from the standard WWII plot line, it was a nice change :)
Now GTA4 on the other hand... hahaha

true:rolleyes:

Where can you buy a cop of halo for the mac from? They don't seem to sell it on the apple website any more and i don't live anywhere near an apple store. And how well will it work on a 2.4 macbook (black)

I think Amazon has it in stock still. Performance was weird, I had the PPC version and it ran great on my old time 1ghz tibook, but installed on my MBP and ran VERY slow, so make sure you buy the universal version and turn the frame rate & detail down, I think you'll be okay. Also, don't try to play with a mighty mouse, you will become frustrated very quickly :rolleyes: lol

ZOMG
Jul 26, 2008, 10:53 PM
You should just let your son get a ps3:cool:

awsomer7
Jul 9, 2010, 02:16 PM
I am a 13 year old who believes there are to many violent video games out there that being said i suggest halo 2 or 1 it has a very interesting storyline they have books about them the only problem wood be the flood minimal violence even though its rated M a lot less than cod 4. Still though if u get cod 4 make sure not to allow him to get COD WaW its a violent game and in the first seen u see a guys throat slit sadly though halo 3 is for the Xbox and if like me he gets emerged in the halo plot he might get obsessive over getting an Xbox 360 also everyone at my school plays cod its a source of peer pressure to play video games i also agree with other posts make sure he doesnt get addicted

Dmac77
Jul 9, 2010, 02:34 PM
I'm 16, and I've been playing M rated games since I was 10 or 11. Teen rated games since I was 7ish. I personally feel that not age, but maturity level should dictate if a child/teen gets to play a video game that has violence in it.

I wouldn't let my little cousin who's 12 play modern warfare, because he honestly acts like he's 5 still. He goes out and reenacts everything he sees in video games (Harry Potter taught me that).

Ratings are just another baby sitting mechanism for parents who don't have time for their own children, IMO. If your son is mature (i.e., he realizes that it's a game, he understands that he shouldn't go and try to play modern warfare in the backyard with his friends, he won't get nightmares from scenes in the game, etc.) then I would get it for him. Also, I would let him play online under most circumstances, but that can be iffy for some parents, which I understand.

I got the first Modern Warfare when I was 13 and for me, it was just another video game. It didn't bother me in anyway. I've also been playing GTA for a few years, which isn't as evil of a game as everyone makes it out to be.

-Don

leandroc76
Jul 9, 2010, 02:41 PM
I play Modern Warfare 2 regularly. I wait to play until my daughter goes to sleep. She is two years old and it is a violent game, but not horrible. The game is fun especially online. You can choose mute players that talk a lot. Most of the time the kids that I do hear, are either complaining or talking ****.

The game is awesome. I enjoy it. I have only been playing for 4 months. I would let my nephews who are 12 and 14 play.

Schtumple
Jul 9, 2010, 02:54 PM
I am a 13 year old who believes there are to many violent video games out there that being said i suggest halo 2 or 1 it has a very interesting storyline they have books about them the only problem wood be the flood minimal violence even though its rated M a lot less than cod 4. Still though if u get cod 4 make sure not to allow him to get COD WaW its a violent game and in the first seen u see a guys throat slit sadly though halo 3 is for the Xbox and if like me he gets emerged in the halo plot he might get obsessive over getting an Xbox 360 also everyone at my school plays cod its a source of peer pressure to play video games i also agree with other posts make sure he doesnt get addicted

Holy thread revival batman!