Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

When the App Store launched, Pandora Radio [App Store] was one of the first applications available that promised streaming internet radio to your iPhone. Unique to Pandora, though, its use of the Music Genome Project to deliver personalized music based on your favorite artists, songs or composers.

Installation and registration for Pandora is quite simple and you'll easily be able to enter the names of artists that you like, and it automatically generates a station to play you music it thinks you will like. You can "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" individual songs to help further refine your music recommendations.

TechCrunch reports that Pandora's iPhone adoption is impressive. A new listener has been added every 2 seconds and 3.3 million tracks were streamed to iPhone listeners this past weekend. The music stream works on EDGE, 3G, and Wi-Fi networks.

Pandora is free and available at the App Store.

Article Link

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
I use this on EDGE and surprisingly, it works great! Sometimes it takes 15-20 seconds to load between songs, but for such a great feature, the small wait is worth it.

aerospace

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
I dont get how something like this survives.

Who pays for their bandwidth? How come they can do this for free, don't the labels charge to use the music?

Klaxons2012

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
I'm very surprised this isn't a paid application. They would've raked in a small fortune for this application because it's amazing.

Klaxons2012

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
I am in love with this app! :D

And for those in the UK, you get BBC iPlayer and we don't in the US. :cool:

I agree! I would LOOOOOVE to have the BBC iPlayer for TV and Radio. I'm stuck streaming radio over RealPlayer. I really wish they'd let us pitiful americans buy a license.

ariza910

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2002
So Cal
I dont get how something like this survives.

Who pays for their bandwidth? How come they can do this for free, don't the labels charge to use the music?

The Pandora app does have a pop up drawer with 'Buy Now from iTunes' so I guess the labels can be happy about that. Maybe there's some sort of kick back from iTunes sales?

Labels could possibly be supporting Pandora as a way to get people to listen to new music?

I agree that Pandora and AOL Radio are killer apps - really surprised to see it in the app store. almost removes the need for Sirius/XM

Now all I need is a SlingBox player for streaming TV!

Tardyon

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2008
I love this app, however...

After playing the first 2 songs all the way through, now all songs that are played only play for about 60 seconds then the next song loads. So is this a sampling site, or a full song streaming site?

midget

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2008
I love the app, been really happy with it I was going to say it deserves to be in the top 5 or 10 and just looked and it's #3, I guess the people have spoken lol

stownsend3

macrumors member
May 9, 2008
I love this app, however...

After playing the first 2 songs all the way through, now all songs that are played only play for about 60 seconds then the next song loads. So is this a sampling site, or a full song streaming site?

I know their website isn't sampling. I haven't had any issues like that streaming on EDGE either. Just the 30-45 second lag between songs. After that they play uninterrupted.

craigverse

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2006
Reno, NV
Just out of curiosity... if I'm streaming a song using Pandora can I still get phone calls? I'm talking edge here. Not 3g or wifi. Would the phone be busy with data?

Shasterball

Suspended
Oct 19, 2007
Just out of curiosity... if I'm streaming a song using Pandora can I still get phone calls? I'm talking edge here. Not 3g or wifi. Would the phone be busy with data?

I would assume that if you are using EDGE data, you cannot get a call.

ElBerserko

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
I would assume that if you are using EDGE data, you cannot get a call.

True, but unlike other live streaming applications, Pandora downloads an entire song at a time as fast as it can. I found the data transfer per average length song for me was about 2 minutes over edge, leaving another 2-3 minutes of music playing without any data transferring.

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007

This just happened to me 10 minutes ago while driving home. Yes, you CAN get a call, but after you're done with your call you must launch Pandora again, pick your station, and wait for a new song to load. That kind of sucks because you lose the song you were listening to.

ross.32

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2007
This app would be much better if they could somehow get Apple to let them run it in the background so you could do other things while listening. Aside from the restrictions set aside by Apple, this is defiantly the best app that is avaible on the iPhone.

autumnsong

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2007
Western North Carolina
Pandora is great

I love this app, and have now started using the streaming radio from their website on my mac a lot. I'd never heard of this service, so thank you app store for introducing me to something great. I am finding new music I like, and will probably end up buying, so I guess that's how they get their money? Kick backs from iTunes store, maybe??

barnettebw

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2008
This app would be much better if they could somehow get Apple to let them run it in the background so you could do other things while listening. Aside from the restrictions set aside by Apple, this is defiantly the best app that is avaible on the iPhone.

My thoughts exactly! I love the app, but it makes it hard to do anything else on the phone because I don't want to lose the song I'm listening to. Also, I'm not sure if it's possible, but integration with the mic button would be nice. I sometimes double click the button trying to skip a track, only to quit the app and actually start playing from the iPod App.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.