Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
A few new items in The MacRumors Store. Frosted and Steel Travel Mugs. These new mugs are cheaper than the Official Macrumors 2001-2002, but do not provide you with any of the benefits (DemiGod status, Private forum, respect of your peers). Bribe--er.. donations accepted for the benefits, but no mug.

Some Macrumors members are organizing a gathering in New Orleans. Contact eyelikeart if interested in attending.

Meanwhile, some members are participating in the Macrumors Folding at Home team. Currently ranked 623.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Wow! This place is really turning into a full-blown community. I wish I could get over to New Orleans for the gathering, bit far from Melbourne, though. :(

Sweet new mugs, too, Arn!

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: Re: Mugs, Gatherings, and Folding

Originally posted by teabgs

623 of how many?

we're # 618 now... :)

3604 teams, apparently.

arn

puffmarvin

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2001
NY
lets get rolling

good... i got tired of seti @ home anyways. plus... im a bio dork so this works out just fine. lets get up to number 1. i know theres enough people here to do it!

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Re: lets get rolling

Originally posted by puffmarvin
good... i got tired of seti @ home anyways. plus... im a bio dork so this works out just fine. lets get up to number 1. i know theres enough people here to do it!
I've just started folding. I've got them both running now (making my computer work twice as hard!)

Dr. Distortion

macrumors regular
May 2, 2002
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Re: Re: lets get rolling

Originally posted by Beej
I've just started folding. I've got them both running now (making my computer work twice as hard!)

Don't forget to install Folding Control: get it from http://macaddict4life.dhs.org

it will automatically set up the command line version of Folding, lets it run from the crontab in the background, and provides an easy way to manage it (turning on/off, changing user name/team etc.). It's also very useful for dual-processor macs, because it will set up 2 directories for 2 f@h cores. (1 core can only take 1 cpu's processing power)

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
let's go folding let's go! let's go folding let's go!

i use folding control and folding@home at once on my dp machine... this is probably not ideal. but hey, it seems to work decently....

also, i like the new items. i think i'd like to pay the regular 35 bucks for a new item and get the benefits of the old mug... is that possible?

once i get a job

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
Originally posted by Beej
I wish I could get over to New Orleans for the gathering, bit far from Melbourne, though. :(

same... :(

Just a question about Folding@Home. On the Team Details page you can see that user 'y' has processed one work unit only, yet has a score of 5. I've also processed one unit but have a score of 0.5 -- does anyone know how the scores are determined?

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Originally posted by j763
Just a question about Folding@Home. On the Team Details page you can see that user 'y' has processed one work unit only, yet has a score of 5. I've also processed one unit but have a score of 0.5 -- does anyone know how the scores are determined?

check out this thread

basically, macs get .5 points per work unit.... however, i recently noticed i have gotten some that are more than .5, yet have done everything on a mac. nothing close to 5 though... the top guys seem to be using pc's... traitors? haha.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I like the mugs arn, pretty cool. I might have to get one soon, but I was wondering if you're going to get pints anytime in the near future?

So I guess the big question is, should I switch to folding in stead of seti, seems like it might be more useful, anyway.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by dukestreet
I like the mugs arn, pretty cool. I might have to get one soon, but I was wondering if you're going to get pints anytime in the near future?

depends on the company we use... not that I know of. I'll look into pints from an alternative source though....

So I guess the big question is, should I switch to folding in stead of seti, seems like it might be more useful, anyway.

Personal choice... some people prefer one or the other... both teams are still "active"

arn

spuncan

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2001
Detroit
Cool mugs i should buy a contrib mug just haven't gotten round to it.
Still think SF would be better and we could do it round MWSF but anyways I probably can't make Orleans seeing Im 14 too lazy to pay for it and would be there for just that. Wish I could do folding@home just X runs so slowly on my 233 G3. :(

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
keep folding everyone, we're #578 now!!!

jelloshotsrule -- They're probably not PC Traitors, just work for a company with lots of PCs free for use :D

well, i've given up at seti, so now my fah wu's should go twice as fast now. I'm starting to try and crunch through some wu's now on my iBook... i guess I could get my AMD duron doing something but it's almost three times as slow as my ibook and it's a 450MHz comp... So maybe this mhz myth crap is actually correct...:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.