PDA

View Full Version : AppleTV music grayed out in iTunes

stellarceltic
Jul 16, 2008, 06:12 PM
I have all of my music synched over to my aTV. My iTunes library is stored on an external drive, which is rarely connected to my Macbook. I was hoping that I would be able to play the music on AppleTV in iTunes, but the list is grayed out. Is this not an option?

Thanks.

SilentPanda
Jul 16, 2008, 06:14 PM
Is the music actually on your AppleTV? Or is it just listed there? If it's on the actual device it shouldn't matter where it's stored otherwise since it would be looking at the local copy. Just wanted to double check.

stellarceltic
Jul 16, 2008, 06:16 PM
Is the music actually on your AppleTV? Or is it just listed there? If it's on the actual device it shouldn't matter where it's stored otherwise since it would be looking at the local copy. Just wanted to double check.

My entire iTunes library was synched, so there is a full copy on my external HD and a full copy on the aTV hard drive.

Since the aTV is wireless, I was hoping I could avoid connecting my external drive whenever I wanted to listen to music on the Macbook.

SilentPanda
Jul 16, 2008, 06:18 PM
Can you play your music on the AppleTV when your external HD is connected and your MacBook is on?

stellarceltic
Jul 16, 2008, 06:22 PM
Can you play your music on the AppleTV when your external HD is connected and your MacBook is on?

Yeah. Playing stuff on the aTV is not an issue. The issue is trying to get it to play on the Macbook.

SilentPanda
Jul 16, 2008, 06:24 PM
Ohhh... so you are trying to play the content on your AppleTV from your MacBook?

If so that's a no go.

stellarceltic
Jul 16, 2008, 06:26 PM
Ohhh... so you are trying to play the content on your AppleTV from your MacBook?

If so that's a no go.

Ah balls. Thanks anyway.

I guess what I need to do is hook my external drive up to my router.