PDA

View Full Version : Geocaching App

Telp
Jul 17, 2008, 01:18 AM
I searched the forums and did not see this already mentioned. I found this very nice application called Geopher Lite that will make geocaching on the iPhone possible. The developer seems to be having a couple issues with Apple at the moment, but you can read up on the status on their blog. It looks really good, and I really hope this app, or one similar comes out soon. Does anyone else know of another caching app in the works? I have not seen one pop up on iTunes yet. Heres the developers blog for Geopher Lite.

http://geopherlite.blogspot.com/

QuietFun
Jul 17, 2008, 01:26 AM
No but I have been anxiously waiting! I used my iPhone 3G the other day to find a cache.. it was very accurate.. looks like a GREAT all-in-one tool if an app comes out that uses common sense.

Telp
Jul 17, 2008, 01:30 AM
I used my iPhone 3G the other day to find a cache.. it was very accurate..

That is excellent to hear. I can't wait to get out with mine. I had been waiting for an app like this to come out, but then again, I am sure a lot of caches by me aren't even that sophisticated.

QuietFun
Jul 17, 2008, 01:34 AM
yea but when your out of town on a cache run it'd be nice..

JBaker122586
Jul 17, 2008, 02:08 AM
Can someone explain to me what geocaching is?

sgibson
Jul 17, 2008, 03:34 AM
Can someone explain to me what geocaching is?

www.geocaching.com

Basically, it's like a global treasure hunt. Someone hides a cache, which can be anything from a camera film tube with paper and pencil to a a large box with items for people to take (preferably leaving something in return) and then posts the location based on GPS. Other people then find the caches using their own GPS (it's a lot harder than it sounds) or, like me, guessing roughly using Google Earth because they don't have GPS (enter iPhone 3G).

You can record the ones you've found and it's a fun way of getting out and about more and finding new places.

A geocaching app was one of the first things I thought about when GPS was confirmed.

EmptyPockets
Jul 17, 2008, 07:36 AM
I would be very interested in an app like this. Let's hope something comes out.

Sonicjay
Jul 17, 2008, 07:41 AM
It would be neat for quick urban caches, but for multi-points or anything that would take more than a few minutes, running GPS and that big screen would be too battery intensive and I'd just use my Garmin.

GreenLightJerky
Jul 17, 2008, 09:31 AM
Sounds like he's having trouble with Apple. News does not look good.
I hope it works out.

dacreativeguy
Jul 17, 2008, 11:48 AM
No but I have been anxiously waiting! I used my iPhone 3G the other day to find a cache.. it was very accurate.. looks like a GREAT all-in-one tool if an app comes out that uses common sense.

What app are you using to input the Lat/Long of the cache?

Telp
Jul 17, 2008, 11:50 AM
What app are you using to input the Lat/Long of the cache?

You can just put the lat/long into google maps.

QuietFun
Jul 17, 2008, 02:13 PM
either that ^ or go to the webpage that describes the cache and touch "view in Google Maps" and it brings up the google maps app which it would normally bring up google maps in your internet browser.

Telp
Jul 17, 2008, 02:38 PM
either that ^ or go to the webpage that describes the cache and touch "view in Google Maps" and it brings up the google maps app which it would normally bring up google maps in your internet browser.

Oh thats good. I will have to try that.

QuietFun
Jul 17, 2008, 02:55 PM
but see it becomes a problem whenever your on Edge and have more than like 4 caches to find.. thats why we need an application that can do what the Geopher guy is talking about in his post today.

genshi
Jul 23, 2008, 02:23 AM
Looks like Geopher Lite (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=285258963&mt=8) was just released.

It's not clear if this app actually uses the iPhone's GPS to get your current location first, then allows you to put in a geocache waymark, or if it is simply a glorified web browser that you have to manually enter everything including your current location, which is what the app description sort of sounds like:

Geopher is a while-you-are-out geocaching application. Quickly check your current location via geocaching.com for geocaches in your area with the search button...

macduke
Jul 23, 2008, 05:33 AM
This all sounds like a waste of gas.

I hope you are all biking to your destinations!!

Yikes.

sirmalloc
Jul 29, 2008, 10:04 PM
I've got a geocaching application in development right now that you guys might be interested in. There are some screenshots up at www.geodeapp.com (http://www.geodeapp.com) and a feature list, and I'm going to be keeping a development blog over at www.nonameindustries.com (http://www.nonameindustries.com). Hit me up, let me know what you think and what features are most important to you and I'll try to incorporate them.

Telp
Jul 29, 2008, 10:14 PM
I've got a geocaching application in development right now that you guys might be interested in. There are some screenshots up at www.geodeapp.com (http://www.geodeapp.com) and a feature list, and I'm going to be keeping a development blog over at www.nonameindustries.com (http://www.nonameindustries.com). Hit me up, let me know what you think and what features are most important to you and I'll try to incorporate them.

This looks fabulous. Just as a little query, how much do you expect this application to go for in the app store?

kwjohns
Jul 29, 2008, 10:18 PM

Wow that looks awesome. Keep up the good work and I hope to see it in the app store soon!

genshi
Jul 29, 2008, 10:19 PM

Now THAT looks nice. Really like the interface. I would definitely pay for that app if it works the way it sounds like it will work. I've just started getting more into the whole geocaching thing so this will be a welcomed utility.

GreenLightJerky
Jul 29, 2008, 11:10 PM
very nice!!!!! I will definitely get this app. Can't wait to download it.I can easily justify my otterbox defender now. Thank you.

billchase2
Jul 30, 2008, 10:36 AM
this will be cool for those with the 3G. i had an app that did this on my old sprint phone... it was pretty cool.

ogdogg
Jul 30, 2008, 11:36 AM
I've never heard of Geocaching before but it sounds cool. As a music producer I get TONS of cd's all the time sent to me. Usually these end up in the trash, but perhaps if I had an app like this I could put boxes of mixtapes and other promo stuff in fields and have you people hunt for it. Sounds like a sweet idea to me.

sgibson
Jul 30, 2008, 12:23 PM

How are your conversations with the folks at Geocaching.com going? They wouldn't let the developer of Geopher use any site data in a commercial application, not even reading of co-ords, so the best he could do was display the Geocaching page in an integrated browser, but you need to copy the co-ords into the app yourself.

sirmalloc
Jul 30, 2008, 12:31 PM
How are your conversations with the folks at Geocaching.com going? They wouldn't let the developer of Geopher use any site data in a commercial application, not even reading of co-ords, so the best he could do was display the Geocaching page in an integrated browser, but you need to copy the co-ords into the app yourself.

Conversations with Geocaching.com aren't going. They never replied to my emails. I'll try again at some point.

I plan on building in browsing functionality that will enable the user to point to the site of their choice, with the option to pass their current location as part of the querystring. I'm also aiming to add coordinate recognition to the browser that I embed in the application so that whatever site the user is browsing, it'll try to recognize coordinates on the page.

If the user chooses to use the browsing functionality to hit Geocaching.com's nearby listing page and then use the coordinate recognition to attempt to auto-populate the coordinates, they can do that. It's up to the user to make sure they aren't violating the TOS of the site they choose to use. I fail to see how the coordinate recognition is any different than Apple's phone number recognition in the browser that auto-links phone numbers to launch a call.

GreenLightJerky
Jul 30, 2008, 12:48 PM
I've never heard of Geocaching before but it sounds cool. As a music producer I get TONS of cd's all the time sent to me. Usually these end up in the trash, but perhaps if I had an app like this I could put boxes of mixtapes and other promo stuff in fields and have you people hunt for it. Sounds like a sweet idea to me.

I totally Agree.
Im getting ready to start a Hunt for the JERKY GeoCache.

slycrel
Jul 30, 2008, 01:24 PM
Conversations with Geocaching.com aren't going. They never replied to my emails. I'll try again at some point.

I plan on building in browsing functionality that will enable the user to point to the site of their choice, with the option to pass their current location as part of the querystring. I'm also aiming to add coordinate recognition to the browser that I embed in the application so that whatever site the user is browsing, it'll try to recognize coordinates on the page.

If the user chooses to use the browsing functionality to hit Geocaching.com's nearby listing page and then use the coordinate recognition to attempt to auto-populate the coordinates, they can do that. It's up to the user to make sure they aren't violating the TOS of the site they choose to use. I fail to see how the coordinate recognition is any different than Apple's phone number recognition in the browser that auto-links phone numbers to launch a call.

Best of luck with that. I talked with groundspeak specifically about entering coordinates and it is considered "scraping" of their website and against their terms of use. An exact quote from them is this:

"... if your application is not scraping the site and users are required to enter the coordinates, then it is perfectly acceptable as is using the embedded web browser."

So if you auto-enter coordinates expect a fight.

I am looking forward to seeing your app in the app store.

jamesarm97
Jul 30, 2008, 01:27 PM

I'll buy! Any idea how much you will charge?

sgibson
Jul 30, 2008, 01:31 PM

I hope you get it working, the app looks wonderful. It would be interesting to see what Groundspeak say on the matter as to who is violating the ToS, in particular:

5. Access and Interference

Much of the information on the Site is updated on a real time basis and is proprietary or is licensed to Groundspeak by our users or third parties. You agree that you will not use any robot, spider, scraper or other automated means to access the Site for any purpose without our express written permission.

Would they say that the user of the site is violating the ToS for using an app to access it, or would they say the developer of the app is in violation.

You could argue that, as the developer, you are not accessing or copying their information for commercial use (unless you copied a cache list into the app itself, which is clearly not your intention), instead the user is accessing it under the terms of the site agreement.

Best of luck getting it up and running, I can't wait to see what apps become available in the future to support my hobby.

sirmalloc
Jul 30, 2008, 01:39 PM
Best of luck with that. I talked with groundspeak specifically about entering coordinates and it is considered "scraping" of their website and against their terms of use. An exact quote from them is this:

"... if your application is not scraping the site and users are required to enter the coordinates, then it is perfectly acceptable as is using the embedded web browser."

So if you auto-enter coordinates expect a fight.

I am looking forward to seeing your app in the app store.

If I implement it as I've planned, I don't see how they could have any issue because:

1) It's a webbrowser like any other that the user can direct anywhere. It'll allow the user to hit any site they want, and it does not even contain a link to Geocaching.com

and

2) Coordinate recognition is a general feature that has applications across many sites other than Geocaching.com. Just because their TOS prohibits it on their site doesn't mean I can't distribute an application with the ability to recognize coordinates on any site.

That'd be equivalent to going after Firefox for it's ability to block images that are sourced from a domain other than the current site (typically ads). Even though a site's TOS may prohibit users from blocking ads, it's ultimately the user's decision if they do it or not, and their liability if they violate any agreement they entered into with the site they are browsing.

Maybe there's a glaring hole in my reasoning that somebody will point out. I'm not advocating that a user makes use of this function to violate GC.com's TOS. It's just a handy feature that will make it easy to grab coordinates off any site.

Anyways, I'm really impressed with the community you've built around Geopher and how quickly you got it to the app store. I can only hope my app can have the same success.

sgibson
Jul 30, 2008, 01:47 PM
Just for reference, I'm not the developer for Geopher (or anything else for that matter), just an interested cacher looking for a nice application for my iPhone (if O2 UK ever get round to stocking the white 3G - still waiting to upgrade at the minute).

I'm happy to support any app that does a good job of helping me go caching without having to buy a dedicated GPS device and think that Groundspeak are a little remiss in blocking apps from accessing their cache info.

I like the idea that you just create an app that recognises co-ordinates in a page without specifically tying it to one particular site. You could then legitimately say that someone can create their own page with co-ords of places they want to go and your app will just point them in the right direction :)

slycrel
Jul 30, 2008, 04:05 PM
I understand and don't necessarily disagree with your ideas about the browser stuff, I'm interested to see how it turns out. I'm more tied to geocaching.com than you are it sounds like. Keep us updated.

You do have some good ideas, I particularly like the rotation compass screen idea, that's a nice touch. I'm also interested in seeing how you do offline mapping. I've not seen a solution out there that would be easily accomplished.

Thanks for the kind words regarding geopher's community. I'm looking forward to trying your app out once it hits the app store. I'm assuming I can't beta test it because of tying devices to the developer accounts, otherwise I'd be happy to. =)

sirmalloc
Jul 30, 2008, 04:12 PM
I understand and don't necessarily disagree with your ideas about the browser stuff, I'm interested to see how it turns out. I'm more tied to geocaching.com than you are it sounds like. Keep us updated.

You do have some good ideas, I particularly like the rotation compass screen idea, that's a nice touch. I'm also interested in seeing how you do offline mapping. I've not seen a solution out there that would be easily accomplished.

Thanks for the kind words regarding geopher's community. I'm looking forward to trying your app out once it hits the app store. I'm assuming I can't beta test it because of tying devices to the developer accounts, otherwise I'd be happy to. =)

I'm not sure if you noticed, but you can provision devices for adhoc deployment in your developer interface at Apple. It'll give you a .mobileprovision file to deploy to your beta testers and you can make a special build of the app for the people you've provisioned. There is a 100 device limit for adhoc deployment, and I'm not sure if you can reclaim after you've allocated a device, but it's a good way to get some testers before you push to the app store. If you are interested in helping me beta when I get to that point send me an email.