Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

billabong

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2004
Are new users to mobile me able to use a @mac.com address? I have tried for my account and it doesn't seem to go through. I would really prefer @mac than @me... Anyone have any info?

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
From this point on it's "Me" for new users. Existing .Mac customers only have the option to use both.

nutella69

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2008
I signed up to MobileMe as a new user and my @mac.com address works fine.

Me too !!! But......

Code:
This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

myname@mac.com

Technical details of permanent failure:
PERM_FAILURE: Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 550 550 5.1.1 unknown or illegal alias: myname@mac.com (state 14).

:mad:

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Only "ME" for new customers.

Here's the info from Apple's website.

If you are a new MobileMe member

When you now compose a new message in Mail application, in the "From" drop-down you should see your membername@me.com as well as any aliases you set up on me.com/mail. If you were not an active .Mac member at the time MobileMe became available, you will not see @mac.com email address.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2296

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
From this point on it's "Me" for new users. Existing .Mac customers only have the option to use both.

Do you know if we will still be able to use it even after we renew next year? God I hope it lasts forever, I would hate to have an @me.com email address. :(

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
I would think a lot of people would rather have mac.com. I guess they want to build up the "me" brand name though.

ibmman69

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2008
They should let you use either one even if you are a new customer. mac.com is a lot than me.com. It just sounds very juvenile to me (no pun intended).

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
I'm wondering if @me.com is on some spam blacklist pages. I sent my work address an email and it never came through. Best guess is it got punted out by my spamhaus RBL.

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
I really hate that address "@me.com" So Windows like. As a Mac user I want to keep @mac.com. Why on earth did Apple remove that option for Mac users? :mad:

ibmman69

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2008
I really hate that address "@me.com" So Windows like. As a Mac user I want to keep @mac.com. Why on earth did Apple remove that option for Mac users? :mad:

Yeah, it sucks. I was going to buy a Family pack this weekend, but I'm not now. I have a .mac address but the people I planned to share with do not, and they do not want the .me address. I understood it initially that you could use either one regardless of when you signed up, but I reread the site and that is not the case. No good!

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
I needed the iDisk feature to share files over a distance. So, I had been planning to get .Mac already (had just been using the trial).

When I heard that the new e-mail addresses would be "me.com" I made it a priority to get it before the switch.

me.com just sounds to.... um.... childish???

It is a name that brings YouTube, FaceBook, and other teen sites to mind. It's a name that makes me think of a bunch of kids in a social network.

It is not something I would want on my outgoing messages to friends, family, or worse... Business acquaintances.

I don't actually plan to send messages from my MobileMe account. But, knowing that I could change my mind later, I wanted to have a more professional sounding domain attached to it. Though .mac is limited in appropriateness (only to a very minor degree), I cannot think of any instance where I would want a me.com address.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
me.com just sounds to.... um.... childish???

It is a name that brings YouTube, FaceBook, and other teen sites to mind. It's a name that makes me think of a bunch of kids in a social network.

It is not something I would want on my outgoing messages to friends, family, or worse... Business acquaintances.

I think you hit the nail on the head. That's the business Apple is going after. The social networking sites are where all the business is. Even big companies and politicians advertise on MySpace. That's where the money is. You may not like this but the money is not where the old-foggie-stoggies are, the money comes from the 18-25 sector and you might FEEL that Apple should be different than the rest but they are going where the business is and that's what a smart company does. :)

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
I should clarify, I can get e-mail sent to:

myname@me.com
AND
myname@mac.com

I can also send e-mail from both those options.

I signed up on the 10th for MobileMe as soon as it launched (literally, the first time it launched).

The name was never used on .mac

Could be that they are going to unofficially support / offer both. Or, it could just be that the system isn't fully in-place yet to prevent .Mac from being offered as an option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.