PDA

View Full Version : New Ipod Touch - Will they ship with 2.0?

Lostatsea3
Jul 17, 2008, 10:24 AM
So I have an 8gb which I have upgraded to 2.0... but my sister is off to college and got a Mac, so I'm getting a 32gb out of that deal and she gets my old one. Will the new 32gb ship with 2.0? I don't want to have to pay $10 again... also can you put apps on multiple iPods? Like songs... you get 5 uses...

jrock2004
Jul 17, 2008, 10:34 AM
Someone got their touch yesterday and had to update and I am getting mine today and I will probably have to update

dasikes
Jul 17, 2008, 10:37 AM
My prediction (pure opinion, no real facts to base it on) is that Apple will take their time adding the update to their iPods, or they'll charge the difference in price as they did for the January '08 update.

aethelbert
Jul 17, 2008, 11:20 AM
No you won't get it. This has been beaten to death on this forum already... You get 1,1,5 out of the box, 2,0 is an extra cost.

Lostatsea3
Jul 17, 2008, 01:30 PM
Ok. No problem... torrents here I come! (I bought the first one, that's my only charity drop for Apple this month)

SirithX
Jul 17, 2008, 01:57 PM
Really? That doesn't make any sense. I know iPods started coming with the January software update that earlier buyers had to pay for, I don't see why it'd be any different with 2.0. If anything, it's probably just that iPods in stores now or those en route to stores were manufactured before 2.0 was released and thus do not come with it, but after a few weeks when all that stock is exhausted I would think Apple would go ahead and ship them out completely up to date.

aethelbert
Jul 17, 2008, 02:00 PM
Really? That doesn't make any sense. I know iPods started coming with the January software update that earlier buyers had to pay for, I don't see why it'd be any different with 2.0. If anything, it's probably just that iPods in stores now or those en route to stores were manufactured before 2.0 was released and thus do not come with it, but after a few weeks when all that stock is exhausted I would think Apple would go ahead and ship them out completely up to date.
Nope, 2,0 is sold separately. With 1,1,3's release, some iPods had the upgrade and some didn't. It was confusing for both retailers and consumers alike. Prices varied on models that looked the same except for a few apps. People complained that new users got it for free while they were left to pay $20. Now, nobody gets it for free.

*Access to the App Store requires the iPhone 2.0 Software Update for iPod touch, sold separately. Some applications are not available in all areas. Application availability and pricing are subject to change.
The above seems pretty clear to me.

dotcomlarry
Jul 17, 2008, 02:20 PM
I just got a refurb iPod Touch under the assumption that it'd include 2.0. Why did I assume that? On the specs listing, it says "Current Software Release," and I kinda figured that 2.0 was the current software release. What happened when I opened it up? Yup, no 2.0.

Mal
Jul 17, 2008, 02:23 PM
Nope, 2,0 is sold separately. With 1,1,3's release, some iPods had the upgrade and some didn't. It was confusing for both retailers and consumers alike. Prices varied on models that looked the same except for a few apps. People complained that new users got it for free while they were left to pay $20. Now, nobody gets it for free.

Huh? Any new iPod touch purchased today should have 1.1.4 installed and will have the January Software Upgrade installed (the additional apps) as well. I can confirm this as I sell them myself.

While unconfirmed, it is almost certain that new iPods that shiped after the 2.0 update was finalized and delivered to the factories will have 2.0 installed. You don't buy hardware with old software on it, you buy it with the current software. Previous models have to be upgraded, but not any new iPods (of course, not the ones in the stores yet, nor for a little while, but you may see $10 discounts to cover the cost of the upgrade in most cases).

The above seems pretty clear to me.

That's been posted and debunked many times. It's accurate for the current stock, but says nothing about iPods that were manufactured after the update.

jW

dasikes
Jul 17, 2008, 02:24 PM
I just got a refurb iPod Touch under the assumption that it'd include 2.0. Why did I assume that? On the specs listing, it says "Current Software Release," and I kinda figured that 2.0 was the current software release. What happened when I opened it up? Yup, no 2.0.

I have to agree, that is VERY misleading. It meant the January update, but they need to change that label.

dotcomlarry
Jul 17, 2008, 02:28 PM
I have to agree, that is VERY misleading. It meant the January update, but they need to change that label.

Indeed... I'll probably still pay for it instead of complaining to Apple, since the main reason it got it was for the App Store. Like you said, it's very misleading.

vanwas
Jul 17, 2008, 02:34 PM

Are they putting 1.1.5 on them? Didn't :apple: just release that update last week?

I'd much rather see 2.0 on them personally, but I believe from :apple:'s viewpoint that 1.1.5 is the "current" version, where as 2.0 is a purchased upgrade, not standard upgrade.

losiracer3100
Jul 17, 2008, 03:06 PM
Ok. No problem... torrents here I come! (I bought the first one, that's my only charity drop for Apple this month)
If you already bought it you will not need to buy it again you will be allowed to update your new touch at no extra cost.
look here (http://www.macworld.com/article/134502/2008/07/ipodtouch.html)
go to the heading that says buy once use many

aethelbert
Jul 17, 2008, 03:16 PM
Huh? Any new iPod touch purchased today should have 1.1.4 installed and will have the January Software Upgrade installed (the additional apps) as well. I can confirm this as I sell them myself.
Some are still out there without the upgrade. I've seen the pricing differences in the US as recently as Tuesday. When the Macworld upgrade was released, all iPods in stores dropped in price by 20usd. When the new shipments started rolling in (the ones with the new software), those went back up to the regular price. So there were (and in some places, still are) iPods without the January upgrade and ones with it. So for a 16gb model, there are two different prices: $379 and $399.

While unconfirmed, it is almost certain that new iPods that shiped after the 2.0 update was finalized and delivered to the factories will have 2.0 installed. You don't buy hardware with old software on it, you buy it with the current software. Previous models have to be upgraded, but not any new iPods (of course, not the ones in the stores yet, nor for a little while, but you may see $10 discounts to cover the cost of the upgrade in most cases).

People have called AppleCare to be told that new ones are shipping with 1,1,5. The posters in the B&M stores, as well as the online ads, have fine print stating that it's sold separately. I think that they recognize the uproar that they created last time with new purchasers getting the free upgrade while older users had to pay for it. Now, nobody gets it for free. Makes perfect sense.

If $10 discounts were coming, they would be here already. They haven't given the voucher codes for the upgrade out through retail outlets or AppleCare.

jdcrow711
Jul 18, 2008, 07:35 AM
i had a build week of 27 on both a new touch and a new 3g -- 3g had 2.0, touch did not. store told me 2.0 was on there --- but then again they also told me the 3g dock had a usb cable in it.

I have had very bad luck in my apple store trips this last week. (5 of them!)

PMB
Jul 18, 2008, 07:47 AM
no, they will not