Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andyk47

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Hi all...
I just bought a mac and want to play dota on it.
I downloaded the map but the main problem occurs when joining games.
When I join, I always return to the main menu. Also, what is the number right next to my name when i join a game?
I am new to both mac and warcraft 3 world so i need help.
Step-by-step instruction would be generous :D

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
I encourage you to do a search to learn more about DOTA on a mac. It is very unstable at the moment and prone to crashing.

But, I believe that the number next to your name, it should be counting up to 100, is the percentage done when you are downloading a custom map.

brodeur

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2008
really..? because i play DotA all the time on my macbook pro and it has never crashed once.

i think there could be a correlation between the "number beside your name when you join a game" and being booted... since having that number there means you don't have the map installed, and most hosts will kick you on sight for that. perhaps you don't have the latest version, or haven't put it in the right folder?

Rocksaurus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2003
California
i think there could be a correlation between the "number beside your name when you join a game" and being booted... since having that number there means you don't have the map installed, and most hosts will kick you on sight for that. perhaps you don't have the latest version, or haven't put it in the right folder?

This is exactly correct. I went through a brief DotA phase, and literally was unable to play it - until I downloaded the map from a website. Once I had the map (and put it in the correct folder - I think it's just titled "Maps") I was able to play and not get booted.

Google around and find the map that everyone's playing (make sure it's the right version!) and you'll stop getting booted. People who play DotA are pretty serious, and don't like "noobs".

Calipso

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2006
Actually it doesn't have to be in the Download folder. War3/OS X is clever and it finds the map on your hard drive. Because I have joined a game where someone was hosting an RPG, and loads of people where downloading it infront of me, so I did a search on google, while I was waiting for them to download, and found the map, it downloaded, then my 0 beside my name (waiting to download) disappeared, and the map was on my Desktop still.

Pretty neat, huh? :)

Edit: Hey imassents - It's me Chewits =] Didn't realise you posted here ^^

imassents

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
Didn't realise you posted here ^^
I knew I recognised the name. That's the one you use on the DotA forums isn't it (I post there in tech support too - not hard to see who I am there lol)?

I just joined to spread the Diablo 2/Starcraft 256 colour fix and help people get it running. But I figured I could help out in other areas too :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.