Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
ThinkSecret cites "reliable sources" that MacWorld San Francisco will bring new low-end 'mini iPods' and a major update to Apple's iLife package.

According to the rumor site, the new "pocket-size" iPods will come in various capacities and colors (including stripes). Prices will reportedly start at a mere $100.

The "music centric" Keynote is also said to bring updates to Apple's various iApps. Updates are reportedly inline for iPhoto, iMovie (to 3.5), iDVD (to 4.0) and iTunes along with possible updates to Final Cut Express (to 2.0). eMagic related announcements are also possible, according to ThinkSecret.

Finally, major Xserve announcements are also predicted for the January expo, but ThinkSecret claims that there will be no new CPU announcements (either desktop or laptop) during the event -- contrary to circulating rumors from Appleinsider.

Previous MacRumors sources reported on iApp updates as well as the possible introduction of a new Application at the Expo. Meanwhile, mini iPod rumors began a few weeks ago with subsequent corroboration.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Makes...

Makes sense for Apple to push a new iPod models with the upcoming Pepsi iTMS giveaway program about to start.

Looking forward to the new iPod models -- both mini and regular! :D

Sushi

iAdam

macrumors member
May 4, 2003
MiddleOfNowhere, Iowa
I would love the annoucment of mini/cheaper iPods, but i'm just afraid of the them looking cheesey with colors and stripes. I think the cell phones with switchable faceplats look cheep.

DGFan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2003
I could understand it if they don't bump the powermacs at MWSF. Some people who were waiting for a speed bump will run out and buy one and Apple will have squeezed out a few more of the older systems before the new G5s arrive a few weeks later.

VicMacs

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2003
Dominican Republic
fixes cant be headlines

i dont think they can go out and say "we made a fix in 15 inch pbs and now they dont have spots!" you can be sure that new pbs from apple dont become spotty.

as for the ipods, welcome the be! if they offer a 100 dollar 5gb version its gonna be H-U-G-E! i for one am getting one! and a grey one would be so cool! or black!

i dont think a new imac is in the production line, it would be too big too soon, gotta sell those g5s first people, you cant detour peoples attention to another thing than the g5s, so we wil get the new 20, 23, 25+ studio g5 displays to complete the set, now is a good time to WAIT on ebay to get a used 17-20 inch display hehe

xserves do well on g4s i believe, just a little longer on those... maybe till june..

apple is thinking on the music revolution they started, iPods are the hook and pc people are the fish, every kid is going to want a new ipod, and for 100 dollars theyre gonna get their way...

and what a good way it is

Codemonkey

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2002
Edmonton
To be honest, I'm really looking forward to either a) winning the lottery or b) 'low-end' iPods.

$454 CDN for the 10 GIG iPod is highway robbery. That's something I won't be able to afford anytime soon.

Unfortunately, imho the likelihood of 'low-end' iPods is about the same as me winning the lottery, so I won't hold my breath.

James.Paul

macrumors regular
May 19, 2002
Northallerton, England
Remember the start of 2003. Every Tuesday something good was happening. Not everything has to be released at Macworld Expo. Speed bumping Power Macs, while great news, is not as good as releasing something new. Power macs could wait till the week after or so. When you look at most Apple products, they are due for an update if you go on the basis of a major upgrade every 12 months ish.

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Re: Mini iPods, iLife Updates, No New CPUs at MacWorld Expo?

Originally posted by Macrumors
Finally, major Xserve announcements are also predicted for the January expo, but ThinkSecret claims that there will be no new CPU announcements (either desktop or laptop) during the event -- contrary to circulating rumors from Appleinsider.
A little disappointing but not surprising. Steve likes to keep the MWSF consumer focussed. I'd expect the Power Mac announcements sometime later in January. Never fear.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Originally posted by James.Paul
Remember the start of 2003. Every Tuesday something good was happening. Not everything has to be released at Macworld Expo. Speed bumping Power Macs, while great news, is not as good as releasing something new. Power macs could wait till the week after or so. When you look at most Apple products, they are due for an update if you go on the basis of a major upgrade every 12 months ish.

I was just about to comment on this myself. I remember last year and how it seemed like every Tuesday, something new and amazing was announced! So, perhaps MWSF will solely be focused on software and music (the mini-iPods), and the hardware updates that are due, such as PM speed bumps, G5 xServes, and LCDs, will come out the following weeks of January into February. If there is an announcement regarding the xServes at MWSF, perhaps it will be just that - an announcement that "they're coming!", and thena couple weeks later they will be released, shipping immediately.

Only time will tell! I'll be watching that QuickTime feed like a hawk, that's for sure!

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
Seems to me that if apple was going to release smaller colorful iPods, then it would have been smarter to have marketed them for the holidays, oh well. I have my 20GB iPod and love it.

Thank again, lots of people get money for the holidays... so if this is true then they have something to blow it on :D

KLFloyd

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2002
Gainesville, FL
Low end iPods are a great thing. I'm not in the market to upgrade anytime soon since I just bought a refurb original 10GB model about 6 months ago but I think a $99 iPod would fly off the shelf. This would do great things to help Apple's market share in the digital music market. Saturate the market with iPods. I might even be talked into buying one for my kid brother as a joint graduation/18th birthday gift.

As far as software updates, the only real update I'd like to see is the ability for iDVD to support 3rd party external burners. I don't know if that's going to happen, but I'd gladly pay the money for the software if it had this ability. It's the only thing holding me back from buying an external burner.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
This reminds me so much of last year. It seemed that there was a lock for iMac and eMac updates at MWSF, just as many were expecting Power Mac updates this year....and then ThinkSecret comes out and says no.

Apple knows what it is doing with the mini-iPods. Faceplates (assuming that is how they do the colors and strips) can be a powerful force driving sales, as teenagers and young adults could personalize their own iPod to make it more unique.

2 weeks.....

neilw

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2003
New Jersey
This sounds plausible to me. The feeling I get is that the 90 nm G5's will be available sometime in the Feb-March timeframe, so it would make sense to hold the announcement until they are closer to being available, so as not to hurt the current very healthy PowerMac sales.

Other CPU upgrades may be dependent on those chips as well, so they could just hold off everything until then.

The iMac could use a shot in the arm, to be sure, but having just brought out the 20" they may try to hold out until the new stuff is really ready. We'll see!

ccuilla

Cancelled
Dec 19, 2003
I'm a little nervous about the rumor of stripes. Colors? Okay. Stripes? Not so sure.

I also hope that white remains in the lineup.

Finally, I hope they don't lobotomize the low end too much.

Pricing is surprising. I would think $149 and $199 for 2/4G would have been a very winnable price point.

We shall all see soon I guess.

ipiloot

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2001
Stockholders. Get ready to short AAPL

If they don't introduce new processors at Macworld, the stock price will possibly head down. Because new processors are highly anticipated.
Besides, it's down already. If that happens, I'll buy for all my money. Last chance like that was after the big slump of 2000/2001, when the price eventually hit 14.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Originally posted by Le Big Mac
so, how much for the iLife updates? Free? Free with Panther upgrade? $49 for the batch? (iDVD excepted).

iLife updates have always been free, so I see no reason why these upgrades would be any different.

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Originally posted by James.Paul
Right. I can wait... I'll be in the Caribbean shortly after so no need to buy a PM immediately.:cool:

rt_brained

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2002
Creativille
Re: Stockholders. Get ready to short AAPL

Originally posted by ipiloot
If they don't introduce new processors at Macworld, the stock price will possibly head down. Because new processors are highly anticipated.

Anticipated by whom? They already seem to have adopted a virtual zero launch policy for MWSF.

If they make an upgrade announcement, great. If they don't, then expect something within a month or two.

And as soon as that becomes a regular thing, expect them to change it again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.