Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

voxnj

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
My iTunes library includes over 5000 songs recorded as wav files at 1536 kbps. With cheap storage, the 250+ GB is manageable on my desk top. The high quality works well with my Duet converter and M-Audio speakers.

I'd like to port a large number of files to my iPhone. Due to the limited storage, I need to downgrade to 256 kbps. (By the way the Ultimate Ears headset is a pretty good compromise for good audio quality on the iPhone).

So can someone tell me how to duplicate and convert my play lists to the smaller file size? I don't want to lose the original big files. Ideally, I'd like to manage both sets (1536 kbps and 256 kbps) with iTunes.

(I searched and couldn't find any solutions. If there is one out there, please point me in the right direction)

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
All you have to do is set iTunes to AAC 256Kbps and then highlight the songs to convert. Right click and convert. It will leave the originals and make 256Kbps copies. Also why not convert your WAV to Apple Lossless and save about 50% space? You can easily convert them back again if you ever need to.

Also I use UE 11Pro's and love them.

voxnj

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
All you have to do is set iTunes to AAC 256Kbps and then highlight the songs to convert. Right click and convert. It will leave the originals and make 256Kbps copies. Also why not convert your WAV to Apple Lossless and save about 50% space? You can easily convert them back again if you ever need to.

Also I use UE 11Pro's and love them.

THANKS VERY MUCH.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Just as a sugestion. I keep all my music in Apple Lossless and use that on my iPhone. You can get almost 600 songs (that's almost 40 hours) on a 16GB iPhone. I have a playlist on iTunes that contains all the music I like or want to listen to on my iPhone. I sort it by date played so the older ones are always on the top and the just listen to ones are on the bottom. This way I just copy the top 500 or so to my iPhone and I never have to use lossy music.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.