PDA

View Full Version : a truly independent iTunes story

morlium
Dec 23, 2003, 01:47 PM
As a long-time MacRumors reader, I wanted to relay the following success story of my small label making it to iTunes:

Collar and Carapace Press (CCP) is my own publishing company. Initially it was to be limited to printed works, but when my friend and I decided to record an album as a companion to the book of poetry I was writing/designing, CCP branched off to include music.

As it stands, we have three releases: The Backed-Up Brake Lights EP; and Failed Attempt in both book and CD format.

As far as distribution, I've gone to local record shops and signed consignments, and I've sold the bulk of them at shows. Sometime in August, I hooked up with CDBaby.com for a temporary Web presence, and they were responsible for sending my CD to iTunes. Once it reached Apple's hands, it went through a tremendous screening process, and lo and behold, I made it through.

Thank you all for your support and interest in Chomper & Morlium, and Collar and Carapace Press (and, of course, my own work on Spymac.com).

Listen (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=4134948)to Failed Attempt

ITR 81
Dec 23, 2003, 03:26 PM
Wow thats good to hear!

I hope more labels like yours will make it to iTunes.

Stories like this is what I think make iTunes Music Store a success.

ITR 81
Dec 23, 2003, 03:30 PM
Question1:

Is CDBaby.com pushing all it's music to iTunes Music Store now?

Question2:

How much of a profit do you actually see compared to others under the RIAA?
No real figure necessary but est. would be nice.

StarmanDeluxe
Dec 23, 2003, 04:47 PM
I like the music and bought Turnaround, but I sure wish you could buy the album as a whole. By song, the whole thing is a tad expensive.

JohnHummel
Dec 23, 2003, 06:00 PM
I'd have to agree with a previous poster - I'm a "whole album" kind of guy. With 18 tracks, that's a tad on the "pricey" side - though I could stand paying $11.99 or some such - or let me know where I can check out the "meatspace" version.

But congrats on getting in - and best of luck!

morlium
Dec 23, 2003, 08:10 PM
i agree, and i'm trying to figure out why it's not offered as an album for $9.99.

however, it is on sale through CD Baby for $9.99. www.cdbaby.com/chomper

thanks for the support everyone!

iJon
Dec 23, 2003, 10:33 PM
oh yeah, i got this off kazaa like a week ago, or was it bittorrent :D

congrats on getting on there.

iJon

iJon
Dec 23, 2003, 10:48 PM
ok, wtf is up with song 2, you made some crazy s*** man. this music puts me in the mood of downing all my pain pills real quick and then taking some shots.

iJon

spiraliv
Dec 23, 2003, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by iJon
ok, wtf is up with song 2, you made some crazy s*** man. this music puts me in the mood of downing all my pain pills real quick and then taking some shots.

Now I shall listen. :)

iJon
Dec 23, 2003, 11:07 PM
haha , im not about bashing music, cause everyone's taste is different and if you dont like it dont listen ,i was just commenting on how bizarre some of these, but still cool.

iJon

morlium
Dec 23, 2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by iJon

:D

um... thanks! )honestly, you're description isn't far off...)

thanks for listening!

(did you really download it off Kazaa? thass coooool!)

iJon
Dec 23, 2003, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by morlium
:D

um... thanks! )honestly, you're description isn't far off...)

thanks for listening!

(did you really download it off Kazaa? thass coooool!)
haha no i didnt download it off kazaa, i just say that to people trying to make it in the music world. like at our local mall we have these black guys selling their rap albums, and we always told them we got it on kazaa.

iJon

u2fan00
Dec 31, 2003, 10:38 AM
Just yesterday, it popped up!

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=4391221

These guys have no record label, this is done by truly independant artists! The band is the author.

Their only complaint...they can't change the price to let people buy the entire album for $9.99. You can only buy by song only.

But otherwise it is great! Check it out if you have a moment.

u2fan00
Dec 31, 2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by ITR 81
Question1:

Is CDBaby.com pushing all it's music to iTunes Music Store now?

CDBaby told my friend's band they submitted 6,000 albums to iTMS. Apple still has the right to refuse to anyone they don't enjoy.

Originally posted by ITR 81
Question2:

How much of a profit do you actually see compared to others under the RIAA?
No real figure necessary but est. would be nice.

Independant musicians signed up at Apple through CD Baby get about 60 cents per track sold. Incredible deal for such wide distribution. I don't know how much "signed" artists would get.