Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Hi there,

Just a quick question. Does anybody use a JVC GR-DVX707 mini-DV camcorder with their Mac? It's just a consumer camcorder that is not that old (I don't think).

Currently I have no FireWire cable (4-6 pin) so I can't test the FireWire connection. The camcorder has DV in/out (FireWire) but this claims to be Win 2000/XP only (not Mac!!!). The camera has a digital still mode which can operate via USB. The included software for this runs on Windows and Macs (OS 9 only!!!!) and works fine in classic mode but is a POS. Today, having just got home from uni, I hooked up the camera (which is my dad's) via USB to try to transfer stills across. Couldn't get the PIXELA ImageMixer program to work but it was interuppted by iPhoto automatically launching and this imported the footage automatically. This makes me think that drivers obviously exist on Mac OS X for this camera despite it not being on the iPhoto or iMovie camera/camcorder compatibility lists. Bodes well for native plug-in-and-play FireWire.

However, the FireWire cable is about £20 to buy in the shops so I only want to get it if I know it will work, hence this post.

We have a new Dell Win XP PC but IT HAS NO FIREWIRE PORT!!!!! (I told my parents to get one with FireWire but they don't have a clue what that is). I could get a PCI card probably, because then my brother could use the PC to connect to his iPod when me and my Mac are not around. I managed to connect Panther to my Win XP computer using Ethernet so I could transfer via the PC if I have to go around the houses but I would love it to just work natively.

Hell, I might just buy that cable tomorrow and pray... If not I can try to get my parents to buy it off me. Anyone know if it will work? Final Cut Express is itching for real video to be edited (not my digital camera footage)...

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
hmm doesn't seem to be on the iMovie list of compatible cameras, but that could just mean no device control

umm i wold just buy the cable ... you can never have to many Firewire cables kicking around..

I'll dig around some more to see if i can't find something, hold on

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
It's useless! A google search of GR-DVX707 reveals internet price comparisons but nothing says about compatibility! The JVC website is useless and the PIXELA ImageMixer site only mentions "Does not work with Mac OS X" but does not even list XP on there! I think it's a newish camera bundled with old software. iPhoto recognised the still camera mode, which is something. I'll base my hope around that! I guess I'll take the plunge and just find out! Oh, and thanks for your help Revenuee!

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
One thing i found is that it is PAL ... makes sense since your quoting in Pounds ... LOL

sorry that i could be much help ... but i think if you turn off device control and just try and "Capture now" ... you should be fine ...

thats what i do when i capture from analog sources that pass through my DV cam

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Thanks for your help. So there is a standard FireWire protocol that it should use? I don't care for device control - I just want to be able to get the clips onto my Mac!

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
Well in Final Cut Pro, you can select, Firewire NTSC, Firewire NTSC Basic, Firewire Pal, Firewire Pal Basic, and NON- Controllable device.

I've never used Final Cut Express, but i would guess the similar options are there since it is Final Cut Pro's kid brother.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Yep, those are in FCE as well. I'll brave the cable tomorrow and see. I've got quite a good feeling about it.

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
Originally posted by johnnyjibbs
Yep, those are in FCE as well. I'll brave the cable tomorrow and see. I've got quite a good feeling about it.

i do to ...you should be fine

and if not ... trust me that Firewire cable will come in handy ... particularly since no DV camera that i have come across has them, so if you get a different camera, you'll have one already

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Just an update... SUCCESS!!

The cable was a rip-off but has already paid for itself! Capturing as we speak! It appears that Final Cut Express recognises it but not iMovie (?!) but that doesn't matter. I have device control and everything. Unfortunately, my dad has just realised the full potential and wants me to put all his non-edited holiday footage onto DVD via my PowerBook...zz..z...

Now I can make proper film! :D :) :p

Oh, and happy Christmas!! :D

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
Thats great to hear

with iMovie check if it set to PAL because it defaults to NTSC from what i know

i like to use iMovie to capture because it slices the scene for me for easy transition work

But if it works in FCE then your fine ...

have fun with those DVD burns .. .LOL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.