Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wardofsky

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 6, 2002
Well, after registering the site a while back I finally got web hosting sorted out.

http://www.another35mm.com

It's almost all graphics except for a few lines, I just wanted to test out my skills in designing with Go Live.

I've got Studio MX on *order* (I know someone that works @ an Apple Reseller) so I'll be using that next time.

I just wanted some feedback on it, ease of use, that whole chesnut...

Enjoy

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
a few suggestions from personal experience:

I know you said that you just made up some images to make the site work, but you should look into using simple CSS to hold all of your content... that border can easily be recreated without using any bandwidth from your host.

Your gallery is nice, but I would like to see you be able to incorporate it into the design of the site. I spen countless hours getting my gallery to work and look nice with movabletype.

Forums are great, and lots of fun to modify templates and be an administrator, but they are really pointless if you run a personal site. no one really has a good reason to join forums just to tell one person that they like the photos. Also, most people don't even know what a forum is and are very hesitant to "register". You may want to look into Movabletype for your site. People will leave a simple comment more often when they needn't register and give out their email address. I use Movabletype, and am very happy with the way everything has turned out on my site.

You've got the right idea down: simple and to the point, but still looks nice. But in order to keep it that way, every page of the site needs to look similar--gallery and forums included.

check out my site and let me know if you have any questions about how I did something with it, Movabletype, or anything else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.