PDA

View Full Version : Totally new to Macs - time to buy a MBP? Read for details.

shane.reid
Jul 18, 2008, 08:11 AM
I'm about to purchased a MBP for business - I need to have it by the middle/end of August for work.

The laptop will be used all day for work, but I play WoW at night (6/9 BT) so I know I need a MBP.

I'm concerned not with the speed increases that may come from a refresh in August, but I am concerned with the Nvidia issue knowing I will game.

I've done the research I can at this point, but I am still very new to the Mac scene - if I buy a MBP now, am I essentially screwed knowing I will tax the GPU playing WoW for 4 hours raids several nights a week?

velocityg4
Jul 18, 2008, 09:26 AM
If you do not need it until the middle of August I would wait and see. With Intel releasing Quad Core CPU's for laptops and recent nVidia/AMD GPU releases. The Macbook Pro could see a very nice update.

Here's hoping for Quad Core and a mobile GTX 200 series or Radeon 4000 series. Though a Radeon 3650 or Geforce 9600 are probably the best to hope for.

showtime
Jul 18, 2008, 06:34 PM
yeah I'd wait it out to see if there are any updates before purchasing if you're in no hurry. Sounds like you might be able to benefit from the update.

savvos
Jul 18, 2008, 08:08 PM
The current MBP GPU will do fine with WoW. But I'm 98% sure there will be an update before the end of August and like the above posters said, there is a good chance the GPU will see an update. There is also a chance some of the MBP will use cooler processors, which would help out if you are running the thing for long stretches at a time.

Muncher
Jul 18, 2008, 08:50 PM
Like the others said, wait and see. I don't think there have been many problems with the MBP nvidia chips, but I could be wrong.

AppleIntelRock
Jul 18, 2008, 10:47 PM
others may not agree with me, but the current mbp design is incredibly long in the tooth. honestly, it hasn't deviated much from the tibook, wayyy back in 2001. don't get me wrong, it's a nice design but it's getting a little boring, and the mbp keyboards aren't nearly as nice as the current macbook/slim keyboards shipped with other apple products. if arn is saying it looks like a refresh is eminent soon, i'd wait. then again, i won't buy a macbook pro until they get new keyboards- whenever that occurs.