Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Siriosys

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2007
New Zealand
I'm thinking long and hard about getting an iPod touch or 2 (my wife would KILL me if I got one and she didn't). I live in NZ and am travelling to Hong Kong next month on a biz trip so am hoping to pick one up there. Is this worth it from a price perspective? I would love to get an iPhone for my wife but the prices are too prohibitive and for myself, I've got a work supplied Blackberry Curve.

I've got poor eyesight as well and was wondering if the web browsing fonts can be zoomed or the default fonts enlarged so I can possibly read eBooks or even do Sudoku if a decent Sudoku App exists.

With the Wifi, is it possible to have multiple networks set up? in NZ there's no such thing as free wireless and hot-spots are few and far between, however at home and work it's all possible, but obviously each network is very different.

Has anybody got their iPod Touch to work as a remote for SlimServer? and if so, what were your results like with regards to performance?

I saw somewhere that there's an app being released that will make it possible to use the iPod as an external HD of sorts (Datacase) and I'm aware they don't natively support disk mode. Are there any other apps around that enable me to use the iPod as a USB drive as such?

Apologies if some of these have been asked before.

Regards

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
I've got poor eyesight as well and was wondering if the web browsing fonts can be zoomed or the default fonts enlarged so I can possibly read eBooks or even do Sudoku if a decent Sudoku App exists.

Yep, with Safari you can double tap on a section of a page to zoom in or, to be more precise, you can place your thumb and index finger on part of the screen and move them apart, which also zooms.

With the Wifi, is it possible to have multiple networks set up? in NZ there's no such thing as free wireless and hot-spots are few and far between, however at home and work it's all possible, but obviously each network is very different.

Indeed it is possibly, go into "Settings", select "Wi Fi" and you will be presented with a list of networks that the iPod has within range. If the network is unprotected (there will be no padlock icon next to the network name), it's as simple as selecting a network and it should connect within a matter of seconds (almost immediately). If it's protected (shows a padlock next to the name), you will have to type in a password/code (if you're trying to access that network then obviously you'd know what it is). So yes, you can connect to different Wi Fi networks in different locations.

scotty96LSC

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I'll answer the ones I can.
•Yes you can zoom in and out using the "pinch" method of makings things larger or smaller on the screen.
•You can have access to multiple wireless networks. And once you connect it can remember that site for future use.
•Look at the Apple Store for refurbished iPod touches. They are running a sale right now.
Good luck

vlinkz

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2006
Pacific Northwest
I'm thinking long and hard about getting an iPod touch or 2 (my wife would KILL me if I got one and she didn't). I live in NZ and am travelling to Hong Kong next month on a biz trip so am hoping to pick one up there. Is this worth it from a price perspective?

iPod Touches are going here for (an official price) of $2400HK for the 8GB, $3200HK for the 16GB and $4000HK for the 32GB. In NZD that's roughly $404, $538, and $673 respectively. I say "official" because you can bargain with the people in stores and get them to lower the price. Just make sure they don't go over the official prices above which can be found on Apple's HK store.

If those prices are good compared to the regular NZ price, I'd recommend doing it.

Mason1

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2008
The only question I can really answer for you is if it is worth it...

I just got a 8gb touch about two days ago and it is worth it for sure, I wasnt sure it would be when I bought it but that I have one and I know what I do about it I would pay more for it. :)

I would say get them for you and your wife you both will love it.

Siriosys

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2007
New Zealand
Thanks everybody, that's wicked feedback and very helpful. The zoom thing is quite important to me so very assuring to know it's obviously well supported.

Any recommendations on places in Hong Kong to get one from?

Also, does the iPod continue to play music while other apps are running? I know this may get into the whole area of 'multi-tasking', but I wondered if the iPod's music playing functionality was any different from the iPhone in so far as music and other apps goes?

Having a poke around the Apps store I can see this thing's going to be a rather damned fine PDA for me. If it happens to play music, I'll be even happier!:D

One last question relating to the post about refurbished units. Is it possible to purchase a refurbished iPod Touch from ANY Apple online store or does it have to be within your own country/region?

Regards

Rob

vlinkz

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Take a look at downtown Mong Kok on Fa Yuen Street. There are a number of electronics stores there (as well as sports shoes...), but you should be able to find iPods all over the place. Just make sure you look for the Apple logo because sometimes there are imitation music players and they look a lot like the real thing. I have not seen this with the iPod Touch, but there are some lookalike iPod nanos and shuffles out there.

I would expect that like the new products on Apple's store, you would need to live in the same country to get the refurbs. It will ask you for your local address and will not give you the option of selecting a country.

Siriosys

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2007
New Zealand
Thanks heaps Vlinkz, Funny, but I usually go to Singapore for this particular conference and I know where all the good little places are including Queensway for sports shoes etc, but in Hong Kong, I'm gonna be like every other tourist.

You've been really helpful.

Cheers

aaquib

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Also, does the iPod continue to play music while other apps are running? I know this may get into the whole area of 'multi-tasking', but I wondered if the iPod's music playing functionality was any different from the iPhone in so far as music and other apps goes?

Yes, double tap the "home" button to bring up music controls. It's applicable with everything in the iPod Touch - Even Safari and any App Store applications.

One last question relating to the post about refurbished units. Is it possible to purchase a refurbished iPod Touch from ANY Apple online store or does it have to be within your own country/region?

Apple will only ship to your specific country, not internationally. If you want one shipped to Honk Kong, it needs to be ordered from that Apple online store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.