Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
So I was getting out of a taxi while my headphones were on, and I guess my hand knocked the long cord, and the earplugs went flying out of my ears and straight into some nasty water in the gutter. I instantly yanked them up so fast, they couldn't have been in there for more than half a second. I cleaned them up, the best I could -- and cleaned them even more once I got to work with a damp towel. They seem fine, but...I just can't forget that they were in nasty gutter water. :(

Worse of all, they're brand new iPhone headphones that I JUST got replaced! Do you think they're ok, or should I not even let something that was in that kind of water anywhere near my ear? :p

ElecEagle

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2008
*shrug* I'd probably go ahead and use them if they aren't damaged.

'Gutter' water is usually just water and whatever vegetation, oil, and misc substances that are washed off the road ...it's hardly 'sewer' water, but then again, it depends on the neighborhood :p.

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
*shrug* I'd probably go ahead and use them if they aren't damaged.

'Gutter' water is usually just water and whatever vegetation, oil, and misc substances that are washed off the road ...it's hardly 'sewer' water, but then again, it depends on the neighborhood :p.

It's Midtown, NYC -- so who KNOWS what's in that water!!! :p

I know it's probably no big deal, and totally a psychological thing -- but if you could have seen that water, you might have a hard time putting them in your ears afterwards too...

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Oh please. You probably eat hot dogs that have been cooking in dirtier water than that.

BTW, I wouldn't use those ear phones in your ear. :D

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Yeah, that's really gross. It's only a cheap pair of headphones, it's worth using them when they were in water that's pretty much a mix of all of the grossest **** you can think of. Now you have an excuse to get a good pair ;). Pretty much any decent in-ear earphones wouldn't have fell.

dubbedout

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2008
those headphones are pretty durable, I washed my original iPhone earphones like twice and they still worked fine!

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
Well they WORK -- I can hear sound coming out of them. But I have yet to put them back in my ears!

Ugh, I can get another pair, I guess -- it's just $30. :mad:

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
You're concerned about them being dirty so... wash them. Contrary to popular belief, you can wash electronics as long as they're not powered.

Earphones don't have a battery or a capacitor so you're good to give them a nice soapy wash. Allow them to dry thoroughly (at least over night) before plugging them back in.

The best way to insure that they're really dry is to put them in a small sealed jar with a bag or two of silica gel (those little bags that come with electronics) over night. If you don't have silica, a small bunch of rice will work too as somebody mentioned above.

They'll be as good as new. ;)

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Don't spend $30 on a ****** Apple pair of headphones. Get a decent pair for at least $50, you definitely won't regret it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.