Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rath

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Hello and thank you for trying to help me with my problem.

I hadn't used my macbook in a while due to a move that separated me from it, and last night I was asked to update a rather large software and security update. It went about it's way for a while and I believe got mostly if not fully complete with the update but then it came up with something in the update, I believe security related, failed. The updated asked for a restart and I did. Since then, when I turn it on it will show the logo with chime and then in a few seconds the loading circle will appear underneath and start to move. Then it just keeps doing that. At first I thought it was just taking a while, but I let it sit for an hour and it still hadn't changed.

Poking around the web for people with similar problems I found a few solutions (And this forum, actually) that I tried. Resetting the PRAM, resetting the SMC, and I was going to go into single user mode to check the hard drive but it freezes mid way through loading that as well. I'm looking for the install disc but I haven't located it yet, but does anyone have any other ideas? The only Mac Store in the state is about 3 hours away. Thanks!

Rath

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Thank you, I'll have to try that tomorrow when I've got access to a friend's macbook.

Is there anything I should try in the meantime?

showtime

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2007
I've interrupted my update before and that was the only solution I could find. I'm not sure there's any other option other than that. Fortunately it's quick and painless process and worked perfectly for me.

Rath

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Nevermind, I didn't look at the tutorial completely. Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.