PDA

View Full Version : CompUSA Apple Convert

sparkleytone
Oct 28, 2001, 09:27 PM
hey everyone i know this is probably way off any type of topic and opening myself to flame but i thought i'd say hello to the forum. i am a commissioned salesperson at compUSA in NC. before coming to comp about three months ago i knew hardly anything of apple and did not like them and did not want to learn. i can work inside outside backwards forwards and sideways through a PC with winblows and linux. well i am about two weeks away from my beautiful order of an iBook with an iPod and all accessories i want :DDDDD and i couldnt be more excited. if im HALF as happy as i THINK im gonna be i will never again buy PC. wow.

P.S. the much heard of fulltime apple employee in select compUSA's is working WONDERS

DannyZR2
Oct 29, 2001, 05:25 AM
It is good to hear that. I am always disappointed to go into a CompUSA and see the employees be ignorant of Apple computer and how great their products are. I know you will enjoy your new choice! I too can't wait for my iPod. I do believe it is revolutionary.. but also the start of something even better!

Kela
Oct 29, 2001, 09:07 AM
NIce to hear that you woke up and smelt the cofee. Sorry for bieng nasty but im in the mood for forum war. Are my allies still with me? (I.e spikey and co.?)

spikey
Oct 29, 2001, 11:36 AM
sir yes sir
Im getting the same urge, infact its so tempting its almost sexual.

akuma
Oct 29, 2001, 11:44 AM
Kela:

I'll join in on your side. :)

spikey
Oct 29, 2001, 11:50 AM
Im wondering if any of the newcomers know of the last "debate" we had. Hopefully i wont get banned next time.

Anyway, wait for someone stupid to say something about a big subject...... not mentioning any names (john, gpturismo, + all the other zealots out there)

Funny u should mention that though kela, i have been looking to start macwar II for a couple of weeks now.

sparkleytone
Oct 29, 2001, 07:43 PM
omfgz br1ng teh warz!!! i will OWN YOU!! MWAHAHA kthx.

whoa 1337ness j00 die.

ThlayliTheFierce
Oct 29, 2001, 09:28 PM
Hate to be the bringer of the olive branch, but don't you need something to fight ABOUT first? I do miss the you're-such-an-imbecile-how-do-you-even-breathe fights of months past. *sigh*

DannyZR2
Oct 30, 2001, 02:25 AM
I have to say Kela, that reading through the posts in that debate the past month, I could not help to see the ignorance in some of the characters on these forums.

I have been reading here for some time, but just starting to post here. It has been fun.

Here's to CompUSA, even though they have troubles in the Mac area.. thank God for the new Apple Stores!.. I bought my own first brand new Apple from them! I still have and use it to this day... So here's to them...

spikey
Oct 30, 2001, 01:27 PM
That last post re-defined the meaning of ignorance.
Ignorance dannnyZR2??.............i forgot you were such a ******** genious.

..............yes... that is nice sparkleytone.

***** olive branches.

spikey
Oct 30, 2001, 01:30 PM
....and talking about ignorance, where has john123 gone? i aint heard from him in ages.

Kela
Oct 30, 2001, 02:32 PM
So I see. Akuma has joined the forces of Spikey, moi, and few others. Well, be prepared. ThalytheFierce is just one of the few gimps about to say something stupid. However, the war will commence when the Obergimp John123 returns. In answer to your question Spikey, I seriously fear for John123's presence here. I mean, is he/it even still a member?

Anyone thought of a good topic to start some serious bitchin about?

Kela
Oct 30, 2001, 02:36 PM
Whoa whoa whoa...who the flyin **** is DAnnyZr2?? I would like to say that Blakespot and other sysops should upgrade die-hard members like (spikey, moi, John123, pants e.t.c) to a god status....i mean, what differentiates us from the other freaks that enter like every day just to post some junk?

jefhatfield
Oct 30, 2001, 07:27 PM
the last few months have been ripe for forum wars since much of 2000 was like the preacher preaching to the converted...i only saw an occassional pc user

early 2001 brought high hopes and some real life pc users to macrumors who defended their side pretty well...the mac side had fun fighting against them but tired out quickly because the mac vs pc debate wins no converts to either side...like usual, while the macs have the better computers, the pc side has the knowledge of macs a little more than the mac side has of the pc side...this has constantly been the achilles heel of the mac side, not to mention having steve jobs be the ceo of apple (either he really is ignorant of the comments he makes about the pc side or he is a liar and the distortion reality rumors are true) i love and hate steve jobs at the same time and his unmatched knack for sales and presentation coupled with his lack of technical knowledge makes him the most interesting person in silicon valley...he is like the fran tarkenton of computers...break all the records, wow the crowd in the playoffs, and then choke in the super bowl...but hey, steve jobs at least gets into the "super bowl" unlike midwest micro, tiny, or novell

as 2001 matured, apple's net worth stayed frustratingly stagnant and the high hopes seemed to be dashed and the real fun began as the new kings of the macforum, many who came here between spring and summer of 2001, began showing up ready for battle and they turned this site into a real destination for macheads...especially since that "other" major site went down

now, that 2001 is rounding up, there is a new breed of new mac users coupled with a few old time mac users who are bringing a fresh unseen perspective to the struggle which is going to be the next year for apple as they continue to regain lost ground (as we as other companies plan to do in order to survive)

the ratio of ignorant and enlightened remains about the same, give or take ten percent, and the worse things get for apple, the better the forum wars will get but...the better things get for apple, the more boring the wars are since we are all singing in some sort of mac unison

only members of macrumors, pre-2000, if there is any such a creature, will remember the mac heyday here but i came along right before the bubble burst for the world of IT in general, just in time for a pc repairman (mac user at home) like me to step into the landmine we call macrumors

sparkleytone
Oct 30, 2001, 09:38 PM
omg people macpeople are WUSSIES!! WHERES MY F*KIN WAR!!?!?!?!?! YOUR MOTHER USES WINDOWS!

nefarious teh compUSA lackey

ThlayliTheFierce
Oct 31, 2001, 12:42 AM
What the hell did I ever do to you Kela? Gimp? Like you've never typed something that came out of your ass. And I always did favor your side... Anyhow, I go to an engineering school and have a few Machead friends. We know way more about PC's than the other side does about Macs. Basically they say "I hate Macs because they're dumb and you can't do anything on them." I though maybe I'd find some more intelligent debating here.

Kela
Oct 31, 2001, 04:07 AM
Dear ThalytheFierce, I apologize for my snide remarks directed towards you. After serious review of the past "debate", I agree, you did support us. Thankyou and I recall the "gimp" remark. PLease try to forgive me.

- Kela

spikey
Oct 31, 2001, 05:47 AM
thanks for the ******** thesis jef, whatever it was about i dont know but it sounds intelligent.

John123 not a member??? but i miss taking the piss out of him. hes nearly as weird as that guy that left over a remark some1 made of him.... and the bad language used.

jefhatfield
Oct 31, 2001, 09:59 AM
many thanks, spikey

now where is the forum war?

...i am waiting to see how the new members fare...they are more than eager to take you frequent posters on and i am impressed with Mac_User, oldMac, and other new guys since i think they will be the next group of macrumor superpowers and they will unseat you

john123, thayil (i can't get the name right), spikey, kela, monkeybusiness, and other senior members...you guys have something to seriously worry about since i think these new guys will pose a serious threat

i have seen several groups take the helm of the posts since the begining of macrumors and this is nothing new

so there is a topic for a forum war (since i see the new crop coming in with different ideas...but not that i agree or disagree with them any more or any less...this is kind of like survivor with different alliances)

welcome Mac_User, OldMac and the rest of the new people

[Edited by jefhatfield on 10-31-2001 at 12:17 PM]

jefhatfield
Oct 31, 2001, 10:45 AM
i forgot to mention timek and foocha among the new users and there are many more and they are all very cool and i hope ready to battle

and sorry about the misspell, it's thlaylithefierce instead of thayil

i may not know the names very well but i remember the comments better

i notice a lot of the hardware guys don't post on the software side as much or vice versa...maybe there could be a forum war on what is more cool, the hardware or OS X?

i made the comment earlier that there are more pc users knowledgeable about the mac than the pc - that's my observation in the last 20 years in general and here's why:

...since macs are better than pcs, there is little incentive to change over or to even discover what the pc world is about

many pc users are unhappy with windows and they are more than willing to check out something better, like the mac or the world of linux or sun

i don't mind mac users, like the engineering student above, who could make comments that are intellient about pcs

...but since i fix them for a living as a network engineer and pc repairman and i have to know what i am doing in order to get paid...i only charge when i could fix something, nothing gripes me more than ignorant comments about thinking that windows xp is dos, or that all pcs suck because of bad hardware, or comparing speeds of machines based on photoshop and not any other applications

if you are going to make a comment about pcs, know at least something about what you are talking about because it is stupid comments made in the mac world (starting with steve jobs...the world's worst tech*, as opposed to woz, the best tech) which has made many intelligent pc techies marginalize the mac world and consider them toys...it is the toy like charm of the imac which made it a best seller month after month in 1999, but it also made a lot of serious computer engineers think that apple became a toy company

that said, i know better, and having seen both types of computers, of which i have had many, the mac is better all the way around...the pc rules when it comes to "software availability" at the average shopping mall

i don't mind stupid comments about business matters concerning apple because

1) this is a techie and mac user site and

2) business is less of a hard science than computers so almost anything goes...it takes an engineer with a degree to design a motherboard or processor but it does not take a formal college degree to become a business success or millionaire...look at gates, jobs, the woz (who later got a teaching degree/credential), dell, ellison, and fanning!...and this small group is the short list of who's who right now or in the past few years of IT

* steve jobs saved apple and without him, there would be no apple right now...i am convinced of that...it took a master marketing genius like steve jobs then and it will continue to need him as long as he is willing

i just don't like it when reporters ask him a simple question that is technical in nature and he either walks out of a conference or says in his trademark way, "You don't know what you are talking about?" Since a lot of reporters still have him mixed up with the real techie, Steve Wozniak, they back off like idiots

woz says on his site that he was the only engineer among gates, allen, jobs, and himself...and that is true even though that cheap movie, "Pirates of Silicon Valley" made them all look like techies...if you don't believe me, check out http://www.woz.org to get the real scoop on being a real mac techie

[Edited by jefhatfield on 10-31-2001 at 11:47 AM]

ThlayliTheFierce
Oct 31, 2001, 12:36 PM
So here's a debate for you: Woz or Jobs? Who really made Apple? Jobs obviously saved Apple but would there be something to save without Woz?

Kela: s'ok

Kela
Oct 31, 2001, 02:54 PM
Whassup with the essays mr. hatfield?? Save the mabo jambo for the verbal war when John123 returns ready to get bashed.

Conspiracy theory
Oct 31, 2001, 03:57 PM
In the exact same boat. After a couple of co workers convince me to buy a Imac after months after rejecting the idea. I tried the imac it won me over, and now i own a 867 G4. Now all i use my PC is as a CD player, so i can assure you will be happy.

mymemory
Oct 31, 2001, 05:35 PM
Once I entered in a chat room and for my surprice, two people where getting married. One of the guys was the pastor and another couple were the parents of the bride and later on the ex-cyberboyfriend of the girl came because some one told him about the cyber wedding (I guess by e-mail) and there was a big mess and the chat roome fall in to a chaos with both cyber families arguing, etc...

The point is that may be realting as you both do in a forum or any place in the internet can cause some wird adictions bacuse the lack of realism and end up living in an alternative world filled with illusions and fantacies....

It actually sound a kinda of fine if you think we are comming in to the 3rd world war and my country is tunrning in to a dictatorship with a comunist president (at the 21st century)...

Hi Kela! what's up Spikey?

sparkleytone
Oct 31, 2001, 07:32 PM
ummm ya that was the most ridiculously stupid concoction of words i have ever seen. it LOOKS like english but just comes off as some type of falsely metaphorical jumble. and this thread had so much going for it...gj idiot.

jefhatfield
Oct 31, 2001, 11:32 PM
i guess i couldn't start any forum wars today since many are tired from having bashed the poor ipod so much

i don't get attacked like i used to because many know i like macs even though my job is as a pc techie

i will just have to wait like the rest i guess

i don't think a jobs vs. woz argument would go far since this site, like most, seems to favor the woz

[Edited by jefhatfield on 11-01-2001 at 12:34 AM]

ThlayliTheFierce
Nov 1, 2001, 01:37 AM
Ok junior member sparkelytone, those of us who've been posting here for a while know that mymemory is from Venezuela and is not always...shall we say...English proficient. I think if you actually read it it will make sense.

john123
Nov 1, 2001, 02:01 AM
Kela, Spikey, and other cohorts of Larry, Daryl, and Daryl:

Macrumors got really boring for a while, so I took myself over to more "lively" message boards for a while. But let us commence.

First off, Spikey, let me just give you my condolences for getting banned before. Perhaps if you'd think before clicking your fingers on your keyboard, that wouldn't happen.

Now, my friends who chose to call me "ignorant": please stop taking your brains out of your heads and play with them. I regularly shallacked each and every one of you with keen skill and rhetoric. I schooled each and every one of you in the art of debate. Shame on you boys for not keeping up.

Now, if you tottering pieces of flotsam will recall, our "debate" arose out of my statement that the PowerBooks should have a *COMBO DRIVE.* If any of you actually got off macrumors and visited some other boards (e.g., macworld, macnn), you'd find that a LOT of people out there lament the fact that there is STILL no combo drive option. You think it's asinine to want to have CD burning potential on the road. The fact that you can't afford plane fares and thus have no ABILITY to travel from place to place via airplanes (and thus cannot even begin to comprehend what it means to be "portable") is not *MY* fault, now, is it?

I should hope not.

Kela
Nov 1, 2001, 05:24 AM
So umm, are you in with us or out "mymemory"???
- Kela

Kela
Nov 1, 2001, 07:18 AM
The war begins. Obergimp has returned. So tell me, if im not wrong. Did you not say a while ago that to YOU it wasnt a matter of concern wether or not one had a combo drive or not? Funnily enough you now argue that, it is a matter of concern. Also John123, you said that you had no room for a CD burner USB or firewire external. What kind of a lame argument was that?

- Kela

john123
Nov 1, 2001, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Kela
The war begins. Obergimp has returned. So tell me, if im not wrong. Did you not say a while ago that to YOU it wasnt a matter of concern wether or not one had a combo drive or not? Funnily enough you now argue that, it is a matter of concern. Also John123, you said that you had no room for a CD burner USB or firewire external. What kind of a lame argument was that?

- Kela

My naive young friend --

I realize that when a person makes an argument that is sophisticated and nuanced, it may be difficult for the groundlings to follow. Let me spell it out for you once again.

--> My original argument was that a combo drive is important for Apple to put in the PowerBook. There exists demand for the product (as the iBook and number of customers saying "I WANT A COMBO DRIVE ON MY G4" illustrates). People don't like to lug a burner around with them, usually.

--> I also said that I personally probably wouldn't want a combo drive. Do I hate lugging the thing around? YES! But, at the same time, a combo drive will give you 8x CD burning capabilities...when you can buy an external drive that does 20x/10x/40x for around $200. So there is a tradeoff -- compact portability for speed. Many many many people accept that tradeoff. I'm simply not one of them.

Get it?

Obergimp out.

jefhatfield
Nov 1, 2001, 10:46 AM
i must have missed something since i have been on other boards, too...is that a debate?

i like epinions.com because at least you get paid for your opinions and posts...but only a a few cents per day per opinion so it is not enough for a year's coffee but some write SO much that they make a decent living (thousands per month) but i returned to macrumors because it is more fun and less formal

how old are you john123 and is everybody else a kid who debates you?

...i have degrees and certifications and have been in the working world for 21 years, but it is often the uneducated and underexperienced who have the best ideas because they still know how to think outside of the box...especially in this field where, for the first time, a formal education or even targeted trade school, miss the point completely...and this is why young users without 19th century classical training always come out on top(i assume from your comments you are middle aged like me with grad school and a couple of decades of work behind you...am i right?)

gates and jobs did not wait to even finish the equivalent of a community college degree because they were busy changing the world...the third co-founder of apple (a 42 year old executive with extensive business experience) had no time for the venture and he opted out

...so go ahead and teach the young about debate but they may be right sometimes

john123
Nov 1, 2001, 11:42 AM
my feelings. :-)

spikey
Nov 1, 2001, 11:56 AM
It wouldnt matter if a spoon was rammed up ur butt, its still prettier than ur face. ;)
.....just j/k (see i have a heart)

you went away because u thought it was boring??? u had weeks to come out with a better excuse than that, looks like that education has failed on u once more.
And as for the teaching us how to debate, well i dont think picking words with more than 3 syllables out of a dictionary and typing it on these boards really qualifies u as being able to teach us.
I stand by my thoughts on the powerbook.

jefhatfield
Nov 1, 2001, 12:06 PM
to be well educated these days with a master's or PhD, one needs an estimated 200 grand to pull that off...mostly due to living expenses outside the home more than tuition or books...that is why i have to go to night school to finish my grad school studies which i may not ever be able to afford even though i do ok (not to mention keeping up with the expensive, ever retiring IT certifications which go bad like a head of lettuce)

unfortunately, college is becoming more and more a privelidge of the rich and, for tech related fields which pay the best, mostly white and male

when i entered cal poly, before most of the posters were born, 37 percent of all computer science students were female nationwide (KGO ABC-affiliate news), but now that number has fallen to a mere 14 percent!

the university of california system has cut away a lot of the affirmative action programs which would give a lot of poor minorities a chance at Cal Berkeley...one has to remember, many of the minorities can get in but they cannot afford the living costs and they had to rely on the state for that which is being cut by gov. gray davis to appease the right wing of the party

and if someone wants to go to a world class elite private college in california, like stanford or usc, forget it if you are not rich

i actually get more out of junior college refresher courses in the lastest computer technologies like A+, networking, and the ever changing boring office apps which no techie can do without who has to be in business for himself/herself

...you get paid the same to flush out a WAN problem as you do to show your client how to use the right click of a windows mouse button...they won't teach that to you in college

and you are right about the debates, it is a lot of name calling and i suspect a lot of the really hardcore namecallers are kids who actually know each other personally...though i can't prove that but it seems that way sometimes

[Edited by jefhatfield on 11-01-2001 at 01:11 PM]

spikey
Nov 1, 2001, 12:23 PM
u have to realise that name calling is all comparable to background and wealth, john123 hasnt had the same background as i have had. And by his standards he was cursing as much as the rest of us were. I dont understand the big deal about cursing anyway, whats wrong with saying "f*ckhead" as opposed to "u are an unintelligent oaf with a community college education", are you lot prudes or something?
By the way, over here in the uk we have names for johns type........ "ian hislop".

john123
Nov 1, 2001, 02:10 PM
First off, Spikey, no, I never cursed. And, what do you mean I haven't had the same "background" as you have? Don't tell me you are equating salary with "background" -- are you?

And as for my "absence," actually, I've posted here and there. But no one has really said anything interesting in the last month or two. It's been pretty dull..and I wanted RUMORS (that's why I came to this site in the first place) on the new PowerBook. Which I will soon happily own, FYI...

jefhatfield, you are lucky to have access to the UC's.

jefhatfield
Nov 1, 2001, 03:54 PM
in the 70s, a world class, private, elite education (ivies, baby ivies, midwest ivies, and stanford, usc) was do-able with working a regular job even though it was hardly cheap then

my friend put himself through stanford graduate school in 5 years in the 70s being a janitor

...but have you seen the tuition lately at Stanford and USC? there is no way, short of making $75,000 a year, that any student can live in Los Angeles or Palo Alto, pay the $20-25K tuition, and do it while having a "job"

...and even if a "student" made that type of money while going to grad school, why would he need college at that point?

unfortunately, you have to be rich these days...even if the school thinks you are so smart that they will let you attend free...i mean, what are going to eat...air?

my cousin got a free scholarship to stanford since he was black and he got a near perfect score on the SAT...his minority status definitely helped but this kid got straight As all througout school...his family being middle class could not have afforded the living expenses though and would have to be rich...and no, he wasn't a sports star who could have someone sponser his housing (which to my knowledge, they don't do at Stanford)...in the end, he settled for a good, state funded school

what i am saying is, you must have gone to an American private, elite institution on your own hourly wage many years ago because it is not possible that way anymore (at least not at SC and the Farm)...if you don't believe me about the astronomical tuitions, check out their websites and you can see for yourself

...so in california, the working student will have to go a state university or the state funded university of california system college (and college is what you make of it, and if you apply yourself, a UC Berkeley/Davis/Santa Cruz or Cal Poly/Fresno State/Hayward State can give you an education as good as Stanford any day...maybe you won't impress too many people but that doesn't matter years down the line where you will be judged on your professional accomplishments, not your ivy league piece of paper you got when you were a 22 year old kid)

...unfairly, the ivy league, private school thing does give you the first "in" and many privelidges early on, but that doesn't mean jack if you do not also work your tail off and achieve in your life; and some day we will see a president who went to San Jose State, but maybe in the next century when the last vestiges of American "elitism" get tossed out

that's all for now concerning left wing politics, i would rather leave that to steve jobs, the one dollar a year employee

[Edited by jefhatfield on 11-01-2001 at 05:21 PM]

jefhatfield
Nov 1, 2001, 04:07 PM
there is one "free ride" which will help a poor student along in this day and age...but it is the only private, ivy league level university in America...and that is Cooper Union for engineering and the arts

outside of that, in the year 2001, there is nothing else!

...believe me, i looked at Princeton review, U.S. News and World Report, Business Week, Bear's Guide, and in spent at least a hundred hours in search for a private, elite school which i could afford these days with a regular job

my wife did the baby ivy thing which impresses everybody but 19 years later, she is still paying off her student loan and that is no "practical" way to go through an ivy unless you want to be in debt for the rest of your life

and if you want to be in debt for two consecutive lifetimes, pay for any ivy league education with a pile of credit cards at 23% percent interest

john123
Nov 1, 2001, 05:17 PM
I'm actually not in your generation.

DannyZR2
Nov 1, 2001, 05:30 PM
Look everyone, it's "EDUCATIONRUMORS.COM"!!!!

Who the hell cares about what school you went to? JOhn123, it was boring enough without you around, now we have to sit and read page long essays between you and the 'hat guy.

this forum blows..

SPG
Nov 1, 2001, 05:42 PM
Do you ever get those stupid little emails forwarded with the "You know you're a _____ when____"?
I remember one of those that breaks down your day with the end result being that it takes 32 hours to do everything you did that day. That's exactly what your equation reminds me of...Bogus Math! In the real world there are real expenses and real circumstances that prevent those simple numbers from adding up.
If I make $40,000 and my rent and car payments are $9000 then I should have $31,000 in my pocket at the end of the year! Woohoo!

john123
Nov 1, 2001, 08:15 PM
Danny, if it "blows," don't read this thread anymore.
Duh.

SPG, the math is fine. When you're in college, you don't HAVE other expenses. And if you go to an expensive school, then perhaps you need to forget about having a car (and thus forget about car payments).

It's really simple. My only point is that I did it, so it's certainly possible.

jefhatfield
Nov 1, 2001, 08:17 PM
yep. i am the boring "hat guy" and i am waiting for apple to come out with something again

danny, if you think i am boring now, just wait until a new product comes out...i am one of those pathetic, aging, nerdy engineers and i hope you wait until the new stats come out

i can't dance, i am homely and fat, but my wife looks like jennifer love hewitt

i write reviews and actually get paid for it (not much)...i target it for the undateable techs so you will especially find it interesting

without knowing it, you just complimented me and i am truly honored...i get excited when i have to read algorithms and translate everything to binary

and i know this is not education.com but it is also not monkeysperm vs. the bloody english guy vs. the thirteen year old who is really a 40 year old man vs. i hate pcs.com

and john123 (the harvard man), i commend you for pulling off the ivy league thing with 10 or so grand a year...your plan takes real discipline and you are the first i ever heard of to pull off such a feat...it beats my friend the janitor with a stanford PhD in computer science after 5 years grad school and 13 years total after high school

spikey
Nov 2, 2001, 09:32 AM
lol, danny i concur.
John you are a stupid gimp, yet again you missed my points i made. I said we were not from the same background, i did not say i was from a better off one.
I did not say background was comparable to wealth.
And i did not say you cursed, i said that by your standards you were quite rude.
And the final point which im assuming u didnt get because you are stupid, is that there isnt anything wrong with saying "****" as opposed to "you are an uneducated freak".

And if you really have had a better education than me f*ckhead why do you still miss every point i make?

Now lets stop debating this stupid subject that came about and lets just sit down in front of the fire and remember the days when the internet was in black and white.
(btw, i cant remember, where did i get that last part from?)

spikey
Nov 2, 2001, 09:35 AM
But i like jefs essays, they make good points. Im just too lazy to read them. + johns attempts at matching it are poor.
(am i the bloody english guy? and if i am whats wrong with being english?)

jefhatfield
Nov 2, 2001, 10:09 AM
i just meant it like a pet name, like they call me that stupid hat guy with the long essays, and then there is monkey sperm, and the 13 year old (who i think is a middle aged man in real life) and others

there is nothing wrong with being english...you guys are the only ones who ever were able to control afganistan unlike us who may make a bigger mess of it than the russians did

i miss england since i was an exchange student there in the 80s there with Cal Poly at London University and I lived near Glouster road in South Kensington...i had my first beer there and it was great...before that, i hated beer but i was around budweiser and that's probably why

the greatest thing was the cadbury machines in the tube which are not anywhere to be found in california

Kela
Nov 2, 2001, 10:30 AM
I agree with Danny and Spikey.

"My education is in all likelihood better...don't tell me you are equating salary with "background" -- are you? "
- JOhn123

How can you say such a thing? I mean, normally the higher one goes (assuming one has any dignity or class), one actually becomes more and more humble. BUT YOU JOHN ARE THE EQUIVALENT OF Niveau Riche. You just got your masters from an Ivy League so you flont it? Trust me there are people on this planet who would make you look like an educated begger and underachiever since they are probably younger, more educated (with a higher standard) and paid much more than you.

Clearly, Class is something you do not have.

-Kela
I don't rest my case.

jefhatfield
Nov 2, 2001, 10:51 AM
in the world of macs, neither education nor salary mean a damn thing...it is about who owns the latest and greatest apple product

i mean, if we could ship the iPod to those naysayers on macrumors, they would very quickly change their mind about how they suck

...i know this will get me in trouble, but i hated pcs for decades until we bought a used pentium 150! with 32 MB of RAM running windblows 98 and this machine has crashed less than any Mac I have ever used (IIe, mac classic, LC 2 and 3, performa 600, 710, iMac, G3 b and w, rev a iBook , and G4 450...i still like macs better though and OS X may resolve instability issues now that we are on the UNIX page)

john123
Nov 2, 2001, 11:57 AM
(1)
<<John you are a stupid gimp, yet again you missed my points i made. I said we were not from the same background, i did not say i was from a better off one.
I did not say background was comparable to wealth.>>
You implied it.

(2)
<<And i did not say you cursed, i said that by your standards you were quite rude. >>
Actually, no, you said the following:
<<And by his standards he was cursing as much as the rest of us were.>>
Re-read your own posts before you make an ass out of yourself again.

(3)
<<And the final point which im assuming u didnt get because you are stupid, is that there isnt anything wrong with saying "****" as opposed to "you are an uneducated freak".>>
Actually, I ignored this so-called point. It's stupid and and a waste of time to read, never mind write a reply.

(4)
<<And if you really have had a better education than me f*ckhead why do you still miss every point i make?>>
You don't really make points. You just blubber on. You have about zero in the way of argumentation skills.

john123
Nov 2, 2001, 12:07 PM
I agree with Danny and Spikey.

"My education is in all likelihood better...don't tell me you are equating salary with "background" -- are you? "
- JOhn123

How can you say such a thing? I mean, normally the higher one goes (assuming one has any dignity or class), one actually becomes more and more humble. BUT YOU JOHN ARE THE EQUIVALENT OF Niveau Riche. You just got your masters from an Ivy League so you flont it? Trust me there are people on this planet who would make you look like an educated begger and underachiever since they are probably younger, more educated (with a higher standard) and paid much more than you.

Clearly, Class is something you do not have.

-Kela
I don't rest my case.
Kela,

1) I don't know who told you that "normally the higher one goes...[the] more humble [one becomes]" (notice that I fixed your series of grammar errors, the most egregious of which was faulty parallelism). But it's hardly true. Many of the greatest minds and leaders throughout history have had EXCEEDINGLY high levels of arrogance. You just hear more about their greatness than their egos.

2) ) A spelling error: "flont" should be "flaunt." Just FYI....

jefhatfield
Nov 2, 2001, 12:12 PM
john123, spikey, and kela

so this is what you guys do in a forum war?

actually, no one seems "stupid" like the other one accuses him of

i might not have been around during the "last war" but it seems everyone involved seems to be mac fans and thus on the same page

this is why the PC world has 95 percent of the market overall of existing machines, and 90 percent recent sales from '97-'01, because mac users are always fighting among themselves as has been the case for 20 years

i need to bring in some of my die hard pc tech buddies who are stupid enough to think that all macs are toys

akuma
Nov 2, 2001, 12:27 PM
Uhh, I'm gonna agree with Jef. I take back my previous post (Kela, sorry :() but I would rather remain neutral and only interject my comments when I feel it to be necessary. I've never been keen on wars of any kind, they only end up hurting people....

Now arguing, I can handle arguing....hehe :)

spikey
Nov 2, 2001, 02:29 PM
just shut the ***** up john.

1)I didnt meaningly imply anything.
2) i cant help it if ur stupid enough to think im doing something im not. I didnt imply jack ***** to you because i know u wouldnt understand it if i did anyway. And u know i didnt imply anything u just say that because u and ur crumby little education cant take the fact a student has proven u wrong in every point u have made thus far. Dont ********* john, just take the fact u r wrong....yes that is right, u r wrong.
3) "by his standards he was cursing as much as we were"
look f*ckface and read what i wrote u little *****, "by his standards" which doesnt mean i said u were literally cursing, it means that COMPARITIVE to the **** that normally comes out ur mouth u WERE cursing.

Zero in the way of argumentation skills???
thats a hell of alot coming from a guy that talks out his ass.

"And the final point which im assuming u didnt get because you are stupid, is that there isnt anything wrong with saying "*****" as opposed to "you are an uneducated freak".>>
Actually, I ignored this so-called point. It's stupid and and a waste of time to read, never mind write a reply. "

It was stupid to write a reply???.....and yet u did.
lol u dumbf*ck . admitting u r stupid???.....****, ur ignorance is mindblowing. ur not just stupid, u r a little f*ckhole who cant admit when hes ******** wrong. and i know ur not going to listen to me d*ckhead, because guess what, u cant admit ur ******** wrong.

In short (for those hard of thinking...f*ckhead), i have replied to the ******** sack of ***** u call a reply and i proved every ****ing ******* little point of urs wrong. So shut.......the........*****........up.
Ur just a ******** w*nker, stop acting all clever, stop acting like a smug little cumbucket and just shut the ***** up.
So come on then d*ckhead write another ******** reply, ur just ******** digging urself deeper into the ******** sh*thole ur in right now. w*nker.

spikey
Nov 2, 2001, 02:32 PM
Stop acting so ******** clever, n*bhead. U r acting arrogant because u can never ******** admit ur wrong.

ThlayliTheFierce
Nov 2, 2001, 04:30 PM
Jef- You went to Cal Poly (I assume SLO) in the 70's? That's funny because I'm going there right now majoring in computer engineering. It costs me about $11,000 a year for tuition and living expenses. I guess I don't see the point of a Harvard education. If you look at college rankings, Cal Poly is the top or near the top in almost every type of engineering offered. Why pay $35,000 a year for Stanford when I can get an equal (or better) education for $24,000 less? As for getting you a foot in the door, that may work for presidents but the companies I want to work for look at if you actually know how to DO stuff. Cal Poly teaches you how to actually apply your education, unlike many other schools. I was listening to a seminar given by a rep from Adaptec who interviewed and hired for the company. He told us about a computer science student he interviewed from UC Berkeley who didn't know how to use a volt meter!

By the way-who's the 13-year-old?

SPG
Nov 2, 2001, 04:31 PM
Somehow I think that playing Madlibs with Spikey would be pretty boring. Insert adjective...*****, insert verb...*****, insert noun...*****.

john123
Nov 2, 2001, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by SPG
Somehow I think that playing Madlibs with Spikey would be pretty boring. Insert adjective...*****, insert verb...*****, insert noun...*****.

haha, this is funny

john123
Nov 2, 2001, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by ThlayliTheFierce
Jef- You went to Cal Poly (I assume SLO) in the 70's? That's funny because I'm going there right now majoring in computer engineering. It costs me about $11,000 a year for tuition and living expenses. I guess I don't see the point of a Harvard education. If you look at college rankings, Cal Poly is the top or near the top in almost every type of engineering offered. Why pay $35,000 a year for Stanford when I can get an equal (or better) education for $24,000 less? As for getting you a foot in the door, that may work for presidents but the companies I want to work for look at if you actually know how to DO stuff. Cal Poly teaches you how to actually apply your education, unlike many other schools. I was listening to a seminar given by a rep from Adaptec who interviewed and hired for the company. He told us about a computer science student he interviewed from UC Berkeley who didn't know how to use a volt meter!

This is partially correct. In a lot tech fields, you can get a damn fine education from a place that isn't ultra-expensive. Sure, we are talking about a whole other plane when we refer to an engineering degree from MIT or CalTech....but then again, you can get an engineering degree from a number of state schools and do *quite* well for yourself.

jefhatfield
Nov 2, 2001, 10:11 PM
sorry spikey, i know you hate the thread that this has turned into so i am going to direct this to john123 and thaylilthefrierce

i got my degree in business in human resources or personnel as it was known until recently from golden gate university but did most of my undergraduate work at cal poly and i am very proud to be a cal poly mustang...i lived off campus on marsh street near the farmer's market...i miss it so and boo-boo records...spikey i know you are sick by now!

after my HR degree, i went into working for outgoing armed forces personnel for the pentagon west coast and got to see some pretty impressive resumes

to thaylil...cal poly is as good as any engineering school and this i know for a fact...among non PhD engineering schools, cal poly is #1 in the nation (us news and world report)

to john123...human resource officers do not know this about Cal Poly and Cal Tech or MIT grab the eyes and stand out when you and your department have to see 10,000 resumes a month...state schools from any state go by the wayside (the same is true for a big company, some of which are much bigger than the department of defense)

to thaylil...you are saving money and getting the best education dollar for dollar though i could have afforded more, (i am still only middle class though) i slacked in high school and couldn't get into stanford or usc (where the soc's went with "connections")...even if i got accepted to stanford or usc, how would i pay for it? remember, there are also living expenses, too

to john123...when the time comes for the CEO slot, the outgoing ivy league CEO will choose another ivy leaguer...all one has to do is read fortune magazine and see where the business leaders of america went to school in the past, present, and unfortunately the future

so that is this old man's opinion based on experience

i am a liberal and if it was up to me, i would hire on merit and not nepitism (like any government agency, big corporation, or the white house works)

i come from a rich area where all the local harvard and yale kids (mostly snobs - sorry john123) looked at me and said, "you're going to cal poly...isn't that an agriculture school?" and i still get that from those ivy league snobs today, many whom rise up the ranks too fast in the silicon valley because us west coast yahoos still get overly impressed with that type of thing

thaylil, as john123 already knows, we LIVE IN A CASTE SYSTEM...maybe not like India but it is there, just more subtle...i am a minority and growing up near great wealth has proved this time and time again...you should see how billionaires or centimillionaires talk about the middle class at dinner when they forget that i am there...jeez!!!

why do you think they send their kids to harvard and not to cal poly? the rich like to save money, don't they? sending a rich kid to a state school, if they even choose colege at all, is the fastest way to jump down the social ladder

...in california, there are two schools that the rich look at most of the time...stanford and usc...look at where the private school kids send their applications

for an analogy, see the movie "the skulls"

ps- it is good to hear from another fellow mustang and if you leave your e-mail on this thread, if it's ok with you, maybe i can give you a good recommendation in the valley when you graduate

the 14 year old is a kid i know who has already finished high school and is enroute to an MCSE...one of the youngest in the world!!!

jefhatfield
Nov 2, 2001, 10:15 PM
spikey,

i am not making fun of you

you are the most prolific poster i have ever seen on this site and i am the oldest member currently posting on macrumors that i know of...that does not mean i will always take your side against john123 on every issue

jh
the geezer hat man

ThlayliTheFierce
Nov 2, 2001, 11:23 PM
Funny how small the world is getting. Anyhow (Spikey and Kela don't kill me) John123 you are right about the humanities, Cal Poly isn't too strong there, although it does have a good, but small, art program. Business, I have been told, is also quite good. Maybe you posted this before, but what was your degree in?

About the whole caste thing-yeah, I do see it. Still, in a small way, there are benefits. If my family were more well-off, I might have gone to USC or Stanford, and my education would not be as good as the one I'm getting now. I guess having an Ivy league education is really good for getting into top positions-then again, I'm not sure I want one of them. Oh, and Jef there should be a link to email me at the bottom of my post. I'll disable it after you do. I'd like to hear some advice from and "old-timer" Cal Poly grad ;-)

Go Mustangs!

jefhatfield
Nov 3, 2001, 12:02 AM
i sent off an e-mail to you

the caste system sucks and i also wouldn't want any top CEO position either...i once heard an mba/ceo in his fifties say, "do i want to be the youngest man in the graveyard with the inscription, 'and he worked very hard!'"

and education is really what you make of it and most likely when you are 20 years older and you or your friends have teenagers, you will be more concerned how your kid is doing, not if you went to Cal Poly or Harvard

...and sorry spikey for another hat man essay...i will save it for mac issues and hopefully if and when a pc zealot hits this site but i will let you and kela and john123 go in and do the first strike like the mac delta force or something

spikey
Nov 3, 2001, 11:04 AM
keep ur essays going jef ;)
Practically the only intelligent things said on this forum. and quite well written too.

delta force, arrgghhh american special forces are just no good.

after all your errors i pointed out, amazing how u can still be able to laugh john.
If u like humour u should read wil self, hes a great novelist.

[Edited by spikey on 11-03-2001 at 12:07 PM]

jefhatfield
Nov 3, 2001, 11:19 AM
my father was in the us army intelligance in world war 2 and he said the same thing about the americans...he said the best special forces in the world are british and israelies

so, i stand to correct myself

you and kela should be the SAS and john123 could be the delta force and the rest of us will be the boy scouts and girl scouts

...but what about austin powers, was he SAS? i know russell crowe was in his last movie

spikey
Nov 3, 2001, 11:26 AM
Austin powers.........nice idea of camouflage.

btw i have heard rumours of what goes on in the scouts, apparently theres a game called "squirmy wormy", i will leave the details to your imagination.

By the way.
Author: Will self
title: Great Apes

I found it funny

[Edited by spikey on 11-03-2001 at 01:05 PM]

john123
Nov 3, 2001, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by spikey
keep ur essays going jef ;)
Practically the only intelligent things said on this forum. and quite well written too.

delta force, arrgghhh american special forces are just no good.

after all your errors i pointed out, amazing how u can still be able to laugh john.
If u like humour u should read wil self, hes a great novelist.

[Edited by spikey on 11-03-2001 at 12:07 PM]

I haven't made any errors, you tot. Virtually all of my posts are well-composed and well-articulated. The fact that you can't read them because I don't confine myself to monosyllabic words and basic SUBJECT-VERB syntax isn't my problem.

spikey
Nov 3, 2001, 12:21 PM
Yeah sure f*ckhead.
thats why you responded to each error i pointed out to you.
Stop reading words from that dictionary u have next to you.
My posts might be monosyllabic, but they still beat the ***** out of yours.
You still cant take the fact that you are wrong, after all this ******** time.
Stop being so ******** vain.
Shove ur syntax up ur own ass.............. "you tot".

Kela
Nov 3, 2001, 12:25 PM
You see JOhn123. I have 2 points here that im sure everyone following WW2 here will agree upon.

1) Firstly, if your education is "the best of the best" as you have implied, then what have you made of it. I have a feeling you are a burger boy...with a mac at home. I mean, you have way too much time to reply to various posts from various categories. (i don't want to know how many other forums you post your grammatical corrections on). Your essays which lack the analytical depth of those that characterize Jefthafield's are superflous yet you insist on posting and posting. DO YOU NOT HAVE A FULL-TIME JOB??

2) Then there is the point about modesty. You see, the fact that you corrected me in my last post (i.e grammatical flaws) and made me aware of that clearly shows that out of some complex (maybe inferiority)you want to show me proof of your education. Furthermore, you use words like egregious, parallelism and uncessarily verbose language.

john123
Nov 3, 2001, 01:28 PM
You see JOhn123. I have 2 points here that im sure everyone following WW2 here will agree upon.

1) Firstly, if your education is "the best of the best" as you have implied, then what have you made of it. I have a feeling you are a burger boy...with a mac at home. I mean, you have way too much time to reply to various posts from various categories. (i don't want to know how many other forums you post your grammatical corrections on). Your essays which lack the analytical depth of those that characterize Jefthafield's are superflous yet you insist on posting and posting. DO YOU NOT HAVE A FULL-TIME JOB??

2) Then there is the point about modesty. You see, the fact that you corrected me in my last post (i.e grammatical flaws) and made me aware of that clearly shows that out of some complex (maybe inferiority)you want to show me proof of your education. Furthermore, you use words like egregious, parallelism and uncessarily verbose language.

To answer your questions, in order:
1) RE: job: a burger boy? Hmm, no. Now, you ask if I have a full-time job. If by "full-time job" you mean something Monday-Friday, 8-5, then the answer is no. I set my own hours, and all my work is on the computer. So, whenever I feel like taking a break, I'm free to do so.

As for the "analytical depth" of my comments, well, you're certainly entitled to your opinion...misguided as it may be. No offense to the hat man, but I haven't really seen any "deep" comments by anyone. And anyway, my commentary on the distinction between hard sciences and social sciences/humanities with respect to school quality was pretty darn insightful, if I do say so myself.

2) Maybe I have a complex. Okay. :-)

As for the language, actually, it's not "unnecessarily" (you misspelled that, too) verbose. It's called precision. William Faulkner was one of the greatest writers of the last 200 years, and his writing was unbelievably complex. Further, you'll find "big words" in academia, technical journals, etc. etc. The point is that PRECISION in language is important. If it weren't, then those "big words" wouldn't exist in the first place.

jefhatfield
Nov 3, 2001, 08:47 PM
believe it or not, those two last comments are actually pretty deep but don't we need to attack pc zealots?

i have a new idea - let's publish these forum wars and all make a mint, then nobody will have to work with computers or burgers, which after a long life of slaving away, is really the same thing

a job is just a job and a career with a salary is just another way of saying you don't get paid for overtime

cheers

jh

jefhatfield
Nov 3, 2001, 09:04 PM
john123,

it's ok if you don't think i am deep, there is no offense taken

if i were deep, i would be a motivational speaker, not a techie crawling on my back under a rich man's house with cat 5 cable in my teeth seeing spiders stare at me

spikey
Nov 4, 2001, 09:40 AM
Dont listen to him, he talks out his ass.
You are probably the deepest thinking of us, john is just jealous because you sound intelligent.
You see john thinks he can sound intelligent by using words with more than 3 syllables to confuse readers who dont have the same vocabulary as him.
you dont fool us john, well u dont fool me anyway.

jefhatfield
Nov 4, 2001, 09:57 AM
thank you spikey

Kela
Nov 4, 2001, 01:31 PM
JOhn, tell me, so you are in charge of your work hours right. So do you have a job siting at home infront of the computer? Like a work-at-home kinda thing?? Then I'm sure the reason you have chosen this option is that you are either disabled, or have such pathetic interpersonal skills that you are just not socially amiable with others. DOn't tell me that your salary is higher sitting at home... (also do not tell me that GOldman or Morgan Chase employ people from home LOL!!)

also, you havent told me how come you have SO much time to respond to verious posts all the time.

- Kela out

john123
Nov 4, 2001, 02:23 PM
JOhn, tell me, so you are in charge of your work hours right. So do you have a job siting at home infront of the computer? Like a work-at-home kinda thing?? Then I'm sure the reason you have chosen this option is that you are either disabled, or have such pathetic interpersonal skills that you are just not socially amiable with others. DOn't tell me that your salary is higher sitting at home... (also do not tell me that GOldman or Morgan Chase employ people from home LOL!!)

also, you havent told me how come you have SO much time to respond to verious posts all the time.

- Kela out

On the contrary -- I told you that I can take breaks whenever I feel like it. That gives me PLENTY of time. It really doesn't take that long to type out responses on here.

As for my job, the time is split between the office and home. And no, it's not Goldman, Morgan Chase, Solomon, or any of your other financial investment banking firm-type places. My god, do you know anyone who works at those places? If you really do, then you won't really "envy" the jobs. The hours suck, and if you look at how much those folks make their first couple years there *per each hour worked,* it is not that sweet a deal. At all.

john123
Nov 4, 2001, 02:25 PM
Hat man, my friend:

Since Spikey, Kela, and company seem to like to call me names -- yet they respect you and your opinion -- I thought I'd ask you for your blunt impressions of me and my intelligence. Be as forthright as you like -- I just feel like a quasi-neutral third party might be able to help out here.

Thanks!

jefhatfield
Nov 4, 2001, 06:48 PM
it is hard to know who anybody is, as the posters who personally know me can attest...i for one have used macs (or apples) since '82 and been a pc tech for 2 years, but since i do the latter for a living, i know way more about pcs than macs!

here is my guess on you, spikey, and kela...all of whom are very intelligent

john123 - 30 year old male, USA east coast, in the field of investment banking from home, BA from Harvard or Yale, brings in large salary over 100k, but was struggling for many years and is financially in the big bucks now

kela - 21-25 year old male, USA east coast or Great Britain, in the field of IT, works in a medium to large company, and is in second or third professional job with possibility of eventually becoming the CIO or MTO of his company due to his knowledge of cross platform with pcs and networking

spikey - 21 year old male, the youngest of the three, London, Great Britain, in the field of IT, with extensive experience, more than anybody on macrumors, with knowledge of both hardware and software...possibly proficient enough to be a good hacker and may be a security expert someday if not already in that position in his company

i used to have to guess about people because i was in the field of HR for the government, after my BA in the personnel field, and i had to look at a lot of incomplete resumes and had to use this information to be a promoter of these people to future employers...many of these people were leaving the military and we were a small agancy that tried to get these people jobs during the huge cutback of armed forces personnel in the early-90s

so from what info i have from the three of you, this is my guess...and i have not looked at any profiles to my knowledge

i may be way off and all three of you may be 40 year old women or 16 year old boys but if the info posted is correct, these are my guesses from what i have RECENTLY seen on these posts

jefhatfield
Nov 4, 2001, 06:52 PM
jef,

are you a fortune teller or do you think this is the dating game?

get back on topic!

Kela
Nov 5, 2001, 03:22 AM
At the risk of over generalizing, I would like to point out John...that a job from home can never be a high paid job. I ersonally think your salary at the moment is probably less than 50K/an. Correct me if im wrong. Im a student in UK so I don't earn, yet the selfish arrogance and the constant reiteration of your "superior education" John, clearly show to me that if you are a BA from any Ivy League, clearly you have not materialized any potential ideas e.t.c. I mean CUMMON PEOPLE....which mature male in his 30s or atleast in his 20s would keep saying "since my education is the best of the best??" Or things like "I can never be wrong".

JEF, this one is for you. Having many friends in the HR departments of Coca Cola and other multinationals, I would like to say that it doesnt take a genius to realize that the reason JOhn works from home is because of his inability to be socially amiable. I mean, with comments that put him above others like "I never say anything wrong" or "I can teach people how to formulate a clear argument", no damn interviewer/employer would even consider allowing him into some managerial position (i say managerial because any ass from an IVy lEague works at a high level).

- Kela out

jefhatfield
Nov 5, 2001, 08:11 AM
...and HR is a soft science, much like business in general and trying to guess what mac users will want in the future

here is my overgeneralization of your response, Kela

i lived in england when i went to school there and the culture is very different than the united states, especially in the way people earn money and the tax structure

i have two jobs...one away from home and the other from home

according to the visual basic magazine's annual salary survey, people in the IT field in the United States who work from home make more money

also being self employed lets you keep more of that money yourself...so as the years pass, the gap in net worth between self employed IT people and ordinary employees of companies gets bigger and bigger

in the wealthy area where i live, the people are older and led lives either working from home or being self employed...basically corporate employees cannot afford to live here...when i was a kid (early 20s) i worked for a huge corporation, ace hardware, and one of the local rich men walked in and told me, "I like your attitude, and did you know that you can really go somewhere if you work for yourself...you can't achieve your potential if you work for someone else." I never forgot those words. It was the 80s in the Monterey Peninsula and the man was David Packard, co-founder of HP and one of the richest men in the world at the time. He had a summer home here and after he died, he left money and built a multimillion dollar aquarium here.

another interesting source is Kiyosaki's "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" where the author recounts the lesson learned from his poor employee, college educated father and his rich, self employed stepfather (the book is number one on NY Times bestseller list and is a good read)

what you say about self employed workers not having a nice personality may be true, so i am not arguing against your point but rather reinforcing it... but a lot of successful people use that hardheadedness to succeed...it takes an iron will to be a success and the politically correct games people play in corporations do not build leaders and innovators, but sheep

thank god for the IT field that Steve Jobs and the woz built a business from a garage, that Dave and Bill built HP from home, that Dell built a business from his dorm room, that Gates and Allen did the same, and that Shawn Fanning did the same. The US is built from brash, often young, innovators and for the good of our economy, it is fortunate that these people did not just go to work for 20 years in some corporation and expected a gold watch at the end. If that was the case, there would be no silicon valley and you would be writing john123 and me by snail mail

...regular employees are not bad but rather very vital, too - but in life you are either a king or king maker

i am saying this from my own experience and not from a textbook in business administration...if the US business leaders all had business degrees, we would certainly be a third world country

john123
Nov 5, 2001, 11:51 AM
Kela,

Your post has one major and egregious logical problem: it assumes that my online personality is the same as my real life personality. I'll just say this: BAD ASSUMPTION.

You're also wrong on both my salary and the salary of people who work from home. Maybe most jobs from home are not well-paid, but a lot of jobs in many sectors (e.g., academia, financial companies) are so research-oriented that, if you're good, you can do as well if not better from home rather than the office. There are more than a handful of six-figure-income earners in this country who loathe the idea of putting on a suit and going in to an office.

spikey
Nov 5, 2001, 01:14 PM
my my, that is a tasty burger.

Im impressed jef, infact thats worryingly acurate.
but im just a student, i do study in london but i live in friends houses.

[Edited by spikey on 11-05-2001 at 02:24 PM]

jefhatfield
Nov 5, 2001, 01:45 PM
i had to bs a lot and guess a lot when it came to making the outgoing military personnel look good in my HR staffing job to prospective employers who were sometimes prejudice against people in the military

since i had to do a lot of cold calling, that got me out of the HR field right away since i am too shy to be an effective cold call salesman and i couldn't bear the average american's prejudice against ex military personnel...i was treated like i was peddling convicts instead

...so actually, i'm a failed personnel promoter so i became a technician because it is easier for me and now i am not the the shyest person in the field now that my field is computers

don't worry, i am not a hacker

digiyoto
Nov 5, 2001, 03:13 PM
you guys crack me up.

i'm into macs. i started visiting this site a long time ago and feel like i'm somewhat getting to know some of you freaks. (i'm a freak too)
the funny thing is that i started visiting to get the downlow on... RUMORS ABOUT MACS, but instead it's turned into something more like a weird soap opera.

i know it's virtually impossible to get this out of people on the net, but could you guys (jefhat, john123, spikey, kela, mymemory, any other big boys) post real pictures of yourselves - or email me please!! i'm not interested in fakes. if your pic is false, are your posts and bragging cyber-fantasy as well. there is just so much energy bounching around that faces would make it like a real soap opera. also, i was curious if any of you have every met in person?

i've been reading here for a long time and i'm fond of you fellas, so don't dis me too hard.

peace. at least we love macs...

akuma
Nov 5, 2001, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by digiyoto
i know it's virtually impossible to get this out of people on the net, but could you guys (jefhat, john123, spikey, kela, mymemory, any other big boys) post real pictures of yourselves - or email me please!! i'm not interested in fakes. if your pic is false, are your posts and bragging cyber-fantasy as well. there is just so much energy bounching around that faces would make it like a real soap opera. also, i was curious if any of you have every met in person?

i've been reading here for a long time and i'm fond of you fellas, so don't dis me too hard.

peace. at least we love macs...
although, I'm only a newbie here (thus my newly aquired "member" status) I'll go ahead and post my (albeit bad) pic...

http://home.austin.rr.com/akuma/images/jourdanbrad.jpg

I'm the one on the right...:D

britboy
Nov 5, 2001, 04:15 PM
Hey Spike, judging by the language you tend to use, do you by any chance come from the Bermondsay area?

SPG
Nov 5, 2001, 04:48 PM
Oi! Nah! Spikey's from the hood! He'll bust a cap in yo ass fo usin winduhs. u bettah watch wha u says 'bout da Spike!

britboy
Nov 5, 2001, 05:04 PM
'scuse the schpelling, i've been living in germany for too long!

jefhatfield
Nov 5, 2001, 06:21 PM
i have been working on my stupid vanity website and will post it one day

i am a pc tech but mac user only, middle aged from califronia, and i used to collect guitars but now i collect computers only because i can't dump them fast enough

...and no, i don't know anybody on this site other than e-mailing some of them off post for more detailed answers and questions which would really be boring if i posted them here

i am an old timer on macrumors and i am referred to as the hat man with long boring posts and i am a neutral third party in the john123 vs spikey and kela wars

i am also neutral in the monkeybusiness vs spikey forum wars, too

i try to stay out of them because they all know more than i do about macs

[Edited by jefhatfield on 11-05-2001 at 07:24 PM]

SPG
Nov 5, 2001, 10:48 PM
And bachelor number two, what do you do?

...actually it is cool to get to know who people are in here. I would take this opportunity to introduce myself, but I don't think I've been here long enough to warrant the interest.

jefhatfield
Nov 5, 2001, 10:59 PM
spg,

i am in the boring computer business and it could get dull dealing with machines instead of people

so tell us who you are (if you want) because many of us IT geeks need something interesting and macrumors is all the human contact i think some of the posters get...especially if we are sitting here watching defrags and backing up data on client computers or wating for the officious secretary to go home so we can do a virus scan on her precious computer we are not allowed to touch because we are some sort of subhuman computer nerd or something

SPG
Nov 6, 2001, 02:15 AM
Sure, Why not?
I'm 32, live in Seattle and now that my knees are shot from a life of snowboarding I work for a production company where I sit around, edit video and make DVD's. I'm not a trained techie, just a long time Mac user who had to learn a lot when desktop publishing started, and then when DV editing started to become a reality.
My background is in photography, publishing, and film making. I can also say that I am one of the former members of the dotcom movement...anybody want some stock options?
Ahh yes I know this is all very enticing, but ladies refrain...I do have a girlfriend.

akuma
Nov 6, 2001, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by SPG
Sure, Why not?
I'm 32, live in Seattle and now that my knees are shot from a life of snowboarding I work for a production company where I sit around, edit video and make DVD's. I'm not a trained techie, just a long time Mac user who had to learn a lot when desktop publishing started, and then when DV editing started to become a reality.
Ahh, my dream job. I do editing on the side, when I'm not busy screwing with these damn PC's at my job. I love editing and I love working on video/film...in fact I just worked as a Camera Assistant for a day on 'Spy Kids 2' (filming here in Austin) and might be getting on as an assistant editor, :D. Then I can sit in front of an avid all day rather than a Win2000 box. hehe

jefhatfield
Nov 6, 2001, 12:24 PM
john123,

do you mean the above poster is 13, or did you say you are 13?

you're the harvard or yale guy, right? or am i getting everybody mixed up...because isn't Mac_User the 13 year old?

now i am confused

spikey
Nov 6, 2001, 12:30 PM
No i am not from that area.

And no i am not from "the hood" because there is no "hood" if you ever hear that word you will know its from an area filled with teenagers thinking they are so cool and hard. they are in denial of the fact they are weak little scum that just cant defend themselves. They use petty "gangsta" attitudes as a shield for their insecurity.
It p*sses me of.

jefhatfield
Nov 6, 2001, 12:41 PM
then how about bayswater?

i also lived there and there was a lot of 'tude

spikey
Nov 6, 2001, 12:45 PM
i normally stay in stepney.
But im not exactly living there right now. Its not my house.
I dont use language from "the getto", i just swear a bit. Its a bad habit i picked up.

Classic
Nov 6, 2001, 05:47 PM
Positively the most annoying poster in this forum regardless of the petty details of your education, job, inferiority complex, etc...

jefhatfield
Nov 6, 2001, 06:01 PM
classic,

i have worked hard to be the most annoying poster on macrumors with my long hat man essays and all, and you give that honor to that harvard dude? jeez!!!

...and also with me being a pc tech

...and what is wrong with personal details? i would rather someone launch into a point with that than some anonymous ranting with no reference point for the rest of us to grab onto...i rather think john123 is one of the most honest posters i have seen here in 1 1/2 years on macrumors.com!

[Edited by jefhatfield on 11-06-2001 at 07:08 PM]

SPG
Nov 6, 2001, 06:15 PM
123 is just nervous that somebody will use any info against him in the next big debate.
jef, I feel your pain, although I haven't been here long enough yet, I hope to someday hold the title. I plan on earning it by randomly mocking every member on these boards.

jefhatfield
Nov 6, 2001, 06:17 PM
but i like your posts

so you will have to swear and insult like spikey and monkeybusiness!

i don't know macs well enough to insult

[Edited by jefhatfield on 11-06-2001 at 07:21 PM]

Classic
Nov 6, 2001, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by jefhatfield
classic,

i have worked hard to be the most annoying poster on macrumors with my long hat man essays and all, and you give that honor to that harvard dude? jeez!!!

Yes, yes,

Perhaps I was a tad over zealous in my posting. It's just that John123's posting was like a MAD lib (or whatever their called). I just filled in the blank with the first thing that popped into my head. Maybe I gave him too much credit.

Long day at work - couldn't exactly blow up at a Client. So, John123 was the next best thing coincidentally at the right place and right time.

So, I will relinquish the title from Johnny boy. Instead, I will bestow a new award in honor of Mr. Hatfield's long winded posts. He shall forever be known as "Homer" as his lenghty prose are reminiscent of the great Greek poet.

Doh's aside, I'd like to publicly appologize to John 123, as there's no need to get personal. I must admit, though, sometimes it is hilarious to read spikey's ascii art in his censored rantings.

jefhatfield
Nov 6, 2001, 07:37 PM
at least i like greek food

i was also an english major in college long ago but i got washed out really quickly because they made me read esoteric stuff

john123
Nov 6, 2001, 08:39 PM
Classic,

no need to apologize. This is a great place to call people names and stuff. I don't think that Spikey or Kela really hate me, and I don't really hate them. It's all in good fun.

By the way, you're a jackass. ;-)

Classic
Nov 6, 2001, 11:55 PM
Jackass is one of my favorite words!

ThlayliTheFierce
Nov 7, 2001, 12:49 AM
Take a look back for a second to see where this thread has gone. It's really pretty interesting to see the twists and turns, and just how far off topic it is right now. Not that it's a bad thing.

digiyoto
Nov 7, 2001, 07:35 AM
do you guys run into each other on other boards? would you know each other if you ran into each other in the frozen foods section right in front of the frozen pizzas?

spikey
Nov 7, 2001, 07:42 AM
Yes that is interesting.

ascii art???......i havent a clue what that means, but if i had my way i wouldnt have to censor what i write.
Im glad you find it amusing, but i dont find it in the least bit funny.
i do surprise myself over what i write sometimes. Then i watch southpark the movie, and i realise im just not in the same league.

John tries to create a sense of mystery about himself, thats why he doesnt release ******* details.

spikey
Nov 7, 2001, 07:48 AM
Yes, i would recognise john.
He would be the one holding the que up at the supermarket just so he can pay by cheque.

jefhatfield
Nov 7, 2001, 09:30 AM
no one would know me if they saw me...let me explain

i have two small businesses

on one hand i am known as a landscaper and gardener and it is what i have been doing since the 80s and there is no evidence that i would know anything about a computer or anything mechanical since i am an "orgainic" gardener

in my other business, i am a pc computer tech and i instantly fall into nerdhood as soon as i see a cpu...it's just some strange natural reaction and i don't look like someone who would be strong enough to wield a shovel

so you never know, that guy at the supermarket holding up the que could be a CIO or the bagger bagging your groceries could be a newly minted MSEE out looking for a first job after graduate engineering school...i live just south of the silicon valley and the unemployment rate is staggering and the economy where i live NEVER once felt the boom of the 90s

Kela
Nov 7, 2001, 10:51 AM
LOL Spikey! Probably at the local safeway.

spikey
Nov 7, 2001, 02:13 PM
John that was possibly the weakest come-back i have ever witnessed, even by your standards it was bad.

"*******"
JOHN!!! mind your language, im appalled. Its just not like you. you will be walking through red light districts next.

john123
Nov 7, 2001, 04:00 PM
Yikes!

akuma
Nov 7, 2001, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by john123

Yeah, speaking of, tell your mother to keep the change from last night. All I had was a five.

Damn, I haven't heard a comback like that since I was a freshman in high school ;)

ThlayliTheFierce
Nov 8, 2001, 02:02 AM
And the thread deteriorates...new topic anyone?

jefhatfield
Nov 8, 2001, 08:41 AM
it seems like we have evidence that compusa is pretty cool

now i wish they would get some mac types in ciucuit city

also sears was bad because they had knowledgeable stereo and tv guys trying to sell macs...scary

PretendPCuser
Nov 8, 2001, 09:30 AM
You guys are wimps. Admit it! Micro$oft rules the world. How can you not see this? I mean, we have 95% percent of the planet! It won't be long before BG opens his wallet and buys out the rest of you zealots. He'll pay you millions to convert and you'll take it cause you don't make any money on your little toy of a computer. I have a Hot Wheels™ Celeron computer that can kick the crap outta your G4 DP800Mhz machine.

Awwwwww, what's the matter, don't have a 1Ghz machine yet? Can't they make them that fast? Don't give me that Megahertz Myth crap, PCs are faster. Look at our Quake III frame rates. Try and beat that on a Mac.

Photoshop, what? Do a flat comparison on real world filters, not just gaussian blur, unsharp mask and RGB ---> CMYK conversions. Who really uses those anyway?

C'mon, you wanted a war... ; )

sparkleytone
Nov 8, 2001, 10:01 AM
hahahaha riiiiiiiiight. so how about that weather?

omgomg my pc runs at 2,145,736.57 Milesperhour it owns your 1GHZ machine!

jefhatfield
Nov 8, 2001, 10:28 AM
hello i'm jefhatfield, i am microsoft certified, a pc networking instructor, a network engineer, and a former VP of a dot.com in san jose...yet i prefer macs even though i am not a zealot of one side or the other

what you say about bill gates buying the rest of apple out may be true one day...but what you say about him converting mac users is unlikely because there is a built in market for macs and bill gates is, above all, a businessman

i am not saying this talking out of my butt since i have owned a buisness since the 80s and i started another one two years ago, so i have experience - and yes, i also have a university degree in business so even theory tells me, besides experience, that bill gates would be an idiot to "convert" apple

you probably think bill and steve hate each other or something...then you probably watched that fictional movie pirates of silicon valley, too - steve and bill have a good working relationship which benefits both companies

have you ever heard of office:mac?...it is made by microsoft and makes the company a lot of money...microsoft is the second biggest software developer in the world for apple...right behind apple itself...so there is money in that venture

what you say about pcs being 95 percent of the market is also true...but keep your eye on linux and open source and also keep your eyes on the govenment's ridiculous hounding of microsoft

while your celeron is a great machine and the celeron has made greater strides than any other processor in the history of computer hardware...i would still prefer a G4 because its instructions are more suited for multimedia

incidentally, i might buy a celeron for my new pc instead of a pentium 4 because it gets the job done and dollar for dollar the celeron or duron is better than the P4 or athlon

what you say about the MHz myth may be true in some instances...but most of us do not need 1 GHz on the mac side for our needs and pcs going over 1 GHz have suffered some of the most dismal sales growth wise in the history of personal computing (we are talking about a 25 year low - abc news and leo leport on KGO, 810 am)

i may not know your personal background with macs or pcs so i won't attack you like some other posters will because it's not my style and being the internet and annonymous, if you come to the local college where i live, assuming you are of that particular age, it may be me helping you in the A+ basic hardware class or it may be me teaching you the ins and outs of home and business networking at our nationally affiliated PC club...and you would never know that someone so enmeshed in the pc world prefers macs

I only know some employees of apple, but i knew david packard and before our dot.com hit the skids like everybody else, i was the one who was supposed to meet paul allen. In my travels, i have also come in contact with one of the co-founders of sun microsystems and the mentor of our dot.com was one of the co-founders of netscape...so i am no ignoramous in the pc world and i first came in contact with computers as a student in the early 70s, most likely before you were born...yet i still prefer macs

i also have three pcs to my two macs at home and i could take apart a pc in the dark and put it back together and that is a testament to how well pcs are built these days...but nothing is as easy as working on a blue and white G3 or G4 with its easy access swinging panel door, which only some pcs have on the market

i also worked as a warranty tech for dell, compaq, and apple and guess what...no apple repairs and my partner and i covered an area the size of new york state

who knows, i have fixed thousands of pcs and i could have fixed yours if you live in or around the silicon valley

my suggestion is, if you have not already, try a mac for awhile, a new one, get to learn it, and then see what you think

it is not my goal to make you "switch" over but to include the mac in your life and realize, that along with your celeron, they could both be tools in making your life a little easier...and isn't that the goal?

and welcome to macrumors.com!

[Edited by jefhatfield on 11-08-2001 at 11:38 AM]

spikey
Nov 8, 2001, 10:44 AM
john you manage to steep to a new level of ignorance.
That was the worst yet.
That is quite a response coming from someone who hasnt grown pubes yet.
So dont pretend you know what sex or prostitution is.
you are a pathetic immature child, do tell me when you get your first hardon and i will start treating you like a post pubescent f*ckhead.

Go way john, your a little w*nkstain.

john123
Nov 8, 2001, 10:46 AM
hehehehehehe

sparkleytone
Nov 8, 2001, 10:50 AM
hahahaha i love you guys!!!! anyways look at me i am the product of apple selling itself. i started working at compUSA and all it took was being around them everyday. no one "sold" it to me and i didn't even want to go over there because "macs suck" and "they're slow" etc etc. I had to go "over there" because people buy macs and a good deal of money is to be made in the apple section. to make a long story short it took less than 2 months before i was thinking about buying an iBook, and lo and behold less than four months have come and gone in my employment there and i bought an iBook, an iPod, and crazy accessories (mac buyers are known for accessorizing). im out time to go to work.

spikey
Nov 8, 2001, 11:07 AM
lol, oh boy this is a good one Mr PCuser, aka tw*tface.

wow, yeah you own 95% of the world, ******** incredible. So microsoft keeps serving you **** and you keep eating it. well nice to know you suck Micro***** dick.
what a d*ckhead, how long does it take for you to realise your buying a sack of *****? isnt the "fischerprice" GUI a clue? and to think you were looking at it all along.
You have a celeron??? even by PC standards that is b*llocks, every1 knows a duron tears the skin off it......what a f*ckhead. The fact you bought anything intel is stupid in itself, but a celeron... your a f*ckstain.
Ah yes ofcourse, Quake3 the benchmark that shows all. silly me. when you grow up you will realise that there is more to using a machine than Quake3. Get out and get a life t*sser.
What do you need fast frame rates for anyway f*ckface?... so you can see your blue screen of death in more detail??? you ******** blind *****.
I am an art student, and i have worked for a graphics company/ design studio. I was born and raised by computers. I will tell you that the mac is the faster platform in photoshop. full stop.

SPG
Nov 8, 2001, 11:29 AM
Too bad we can't get Luddites on here, that would be a good fight! PC? Mac? No computers! Free yourselves!

akuma
Nov 8, 2001, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by PretendPCuser
C'mon, you wanted a war... ; )

When you can post something of substance you might get a war, but posts like yours make you sound more immature than anything.

*sigh*

john123
Nov 8, 2001, 01:00 PM
The guy is probably a Mac fan like all of us and he just posted that to start a war (like we all said we wanted) -- and then you're all jerks to the poor dude. A "war" does not mean a never-ending "ASCII art" series of ad homs.

SPG
Nov 8, 2001, 01:08 PM
John, I think we all got it, but it still wasn't enough to ge tanybody going over here. Just because it's a joke doesn't mean that it's funny.

jefhatfield
Nov 8, 2001, 01:22 PM
i am the oldest timer that i know of active here on macrumors and i never remember seeing someone hit 300...congrats spikey!!!

pcusers celeron 1 GHz is not realy that bad, but you are right when you say a duron beats it, and we all know, a mac G4 is better than them both...actually, i would even prefer a 700 MHz imac to a celeron machine if i had to only have one machine

...so maybe "pcuser" is a fake but there are pc users who use those same arguments...god, did i have to launch into one of my homerian hat man essays?

think about it for a second...i mean, who cares if bill gates owns apple?...as long as macs are still good and the os is still good, mike dell or larry ellison could own it for all i care...oh yeah, last time i ckecked ellison was on the board of directors for apple and larry being the second richest man in the world can buy apple with a personal check and on a good day, he can buy apple out with the remaining contents of his wallet in his golf trousers

...i just want my mac and i realize this is no longer the company that is owned by the "two steves"...times change

[Edited by jefhatfield on 11-08-2001 at 03:01 PM]

john123
Nov 8, 2001, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by SPG
John, I think we all got it, but it still wasn't enough to ge tanybody going over here. Just because it's a joke doesn't mean that it's funny.

My argument wasn't that it wasn't "funny." My argument was that he was trying to oblige us all by starting a war (albeit a lopsided one). As Mike Myers used to say when something went over people's heads:

SCHWEEEE

SPG
Nov 8, 2001, 06:06 PM
As Homer would say when things hit him on the head...
Doh!

Kela
Nov 9, 2001, 08:52 AM
LOl! Spikey! I like the red light district comment. referrring to some part of Soho?

JOhn123, you still havent answered my last remark/question. From this I can only derive one thing, WE HAVE WON. mUAHAHAHHAaheeeeee

spikey
Nov 9, 2001, 09:23 AM
(sigh) soho, britains captial of sleaze.

I dont care if that guy was a macuser or not, he was talking out his *ss.

sparkleytone
Nov 9, 2001, 10:39 AM
hahahaha i think i should get some type of n00bie award for starting a thread with my first post and going 5 pages :D

whoa damnit...this thread is still very alive and i've already hit my 30 mark...whoa

haha one more edit...i meant SIX pages :P

PretendPCuser
Nov 9, 2001, 01:34 PM
Spikey,

Psssst. Hey, c'mon, mate! Didn't you read the username and signature? I know you hate PCs, do you really have the need to flame like that? Wait, that didn't sound right... (kidding).

Perhaps you didn't catch the subtle flavour of sarcasm?

Anyway, wanted to throw a semi-moving target at you all. I happen to be a Mac-using for my business (design) and travel to my brothers when i want to abuse his PCs for games. No need to buy one at this time.

That said. Here's another one for ya:

They don't even have cool games that come with the Mac operating system (Except Eric's Solitaire sampler). Windoze comes with such classics as Minesweeper and solitaire. I mean, your administrative assistant has to do *something* to look busy.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

jefhatfield
Nov 9, 2001, 05:09 PM
god, you fooled me!

i launched into one of my stupid, autobiographical, senseless hat man essays in defense of the mac

heck, i almost gave out my telephone number so i could plead my case over the phone...just kidding

but it was one of the funniest things since that brittney spears thingy

jh

john123
Nov 9, 2001, 09:51 PM
Restoring this thread it its rightful place among Macrumors' most active.....

sparkleytone
Nov 9, 2001, 10:40 PM
i guess this would be a good time to thank everyone for pretty much just accepting me as a new convert to the wonderful world of Apple.

hehe i thought at most i might get flamed by a few people for not being on the topic of "article discussion". i have a feeling i'll be posting here for a good time to come.

lol i just applied for a job at the apple store that will be opening next yr about 30 minutes away from my college and i really really hope i get considered.

much love.

Alan Brent

john123
Nov 10, 2001, 12:29 AM
Alan -- since you worked at CompUSA, maybe you can answer a question I have...check the thread regarding Kensington cases.

Kela
Nov 10, 2001, 07:54 AM
Kensington my ass

sparkleytone
Nov 10, 2001, 12:46 PM
in order to further illustrate the continuing conversion i am going through to Apple products, i thought i'd post this.

i was browsing through sites on my lunch break looking for iPod reviews because i have been carrying one at work all day. i bump over to zdnet and the front page says "What's Compatible with XP?" as their main article. without even THINKING the words came audibly out of my mouth "who cares?"

hahahaha one small step for ... wait thats a huge thing. i beta tested i hacked i ran it for months and i was the first person i know that had the full version corporate edition no activation. i was happy because it finally didnt suck.

i'm ready for something i can get excited over and say omg every 10 minutes. i'm ready for Apple.

Microsoft - Quality is job 1.1

oh...and call me Brent

spikey
Nov 10, 2001, 01:52 PM
I dont care what the intentions of the post were, it was pointless.
but i wasnt getting p*ssed off at you, maybe at what you said but not you ;)

keep pretending

PretendPCuser
Nov 12, 2001, 01:11 PM
Any post about Windows is pointless. Hats off to John123 for seeing my true intent on *maybe* having a little fun. I hope that hasn't become a crime on the internet these days.

Seriously though, PC, Mac, whatever. To each their own. Trying to convert someone who doesn't want to be converted or educated is wasted breath IMHO.

Welcome to the fold Brent.

spikey
Nov 12, 2001, 01:22 PM
well to some extent yes, but if you want the best for them then it aint so bad.

sparkleytone
Apr 18, 2002, 05:12 PM
haha this thread is so old, i thought it was lost in the macrumors abyss.

Mr. Anderson
Apr 18, 2002, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by sparkleytone
haha this thread is so old, i thought it was lost in the macrumors abyss.

Now why would you go and resurect the thing?

Working on your necromancy?

eyelikeart
Apr 18, 2002, 05:39 PM
my god....November 2001?!

what the hell is it still doing open???

Mr. Anderson
Apr 18, 2002, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
my god....November 2001?!

what the hell is it still doing open???

sparkleytone is raising the undead

Why? You'll have to ask him. Maybe his most witty response occured here and he was feeling nastalgia and hoped we would see it and be in awe....

Mr. Anderson
Apr 18, 2002, 07:52 PM
Ok, I hadn't thought to much about it, but I went and read the thread. Wow, its a totally different macrumors sight - spikey, john123, kela, and the only one still active jefhatfield.

Much more intense level of posting/banter. And sparkleytone resurected it becuase it was his first thread he started. He was nostalgic:)

Forum Wars??? OMG, who would have thought.

I'm still curious as to why. Got an answer to the sparkleytone?

Taft
Apr 18, 2002, 10:31 PM
It was a very different MacRumors. Lots of name-calling and bickering. Yikes!

I don't know if you remember but Kela popped her head in a forum the other day and a lot of people (include me...) jumped all over her. After reading this, I'm surprised she didn't defend herself...to the extreme!!!

It would be cool to have some more wars around here. GoCyrus and spikey kind of wars. We need some more hotheads, ignorant posters, and people willing to swear with asterisks covering their profanity about as well as pasties cover...well...you know...

And where are jefhatfield's rants and essays?? I like your style man.

Matthew

MacAztec
Apr 18, 2002, 10:40 PM
OMG!
Originally posted by jefhatfield
many thanks, spikey

now where is the forum war?

...i am waiting to see how the new members fare...they are more than eager to take you frequent posters on and i am impressed with Mac_User, oldMac, and other new guys since i think they will be the next group of macrumor superpowers and they will unseat you

john123, thayil (i can't get the name right), spikey, kela, monkeybusiness, and other senior members...you guys have something to seriously worry about since i think these new guys will pose a serious threat

i have seen several groups take the helm of the posts since the begining of macrumors and this is nothing new

so there is a topic for a forum war (since i see the new crop coming in with different ideas...but not that i agree or disagree with them any more or any less...this is kind of like survivor with different alliances)

welcome Mac_User, OldMac and the rest of the new people

[Edited by jefhatfield on 10-31-2001 at 12:17 PM]

Hehe, Mac_User is me!!! That is about...maybe when I had reached 100 posts, hehehe.

I do remember Kela! Weeee! Ohh, the good old days!

MacAztec
Apr 18, 2002, 10:41 PM
Hehehe!

7 Pages and counting!

Hey eye, how come I dont remember you from the early days (for me) of the rumor site?

MacAztec
Apr 18, 2002, 10:52 PM
I found my first post!

http://www.macrumors.com/forums/showthread.php3?threadid=513&perpage=25&pagenumber=2

Look at it, its kinda funny. Sorry for calling you hat man jhatfield!

Mr. Anderson
Apr 19, 2002, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by Taft

I don't know if you remember but Kela popped her head in a forum the other day and a lot of people (include me...) jumped all over her. After reading this, I'm surprised she didn't defend herself...to the extreme!!!

It would be cool to have some more wars around here. GoCyrus and spikey kind of wars. We need some more hotheads, ignorant posters, and people willing to swear with asterisks covering their profanity about as well as pasties cover...well...you know...

Kela didn't have any of her friends to back her up. Otherwise things might have been a little different.

And as for ignorant posters, well, there are plenty, just take a look around. A lot of people wouldn't have lasted under the onslaught if we responded half as bad as spikey and crew. The regulars now just try and help or give advice to the ignorant.

It might be better that way, any way, because it makes MacRumors more of a resource for people to use, rather than a message board that requires you to wield a weapon and wear armor.

Mr. Anderson
Apr 19, 2002, 11:35 AM
A little snooping and I came up with this:
http://www.macrumors.com/forums/showthread.php3?threadid=1

First post with the new system. Anyone here know what it was like with the old system?

Taft
Apr 19, 2002, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet

It might be better that way, any way, because it makes MacRumors more of a resource for people to use, rather than a message board that requires you to wield a weapon and wear armor.

First post with the new system. Anyone here know what it was like with the old system?

Agreed. I like being able to express my opinions without being attacked. But it would be nice if some threads got a little heated every once and a while. Its fun to get in on a flame war every now and then.

And about the old system, I obviously wasn't around but I picture something like the current MacCentral comment system. Yuck.

And this marks my 500th post!! Yipee!! You don't know how long I've wanted to hit this mark. When do get to make my Avatar acceptance speech. There are so many people I want to thank...

Matthew

blakespot
Apr 19, 2002, 01:13 PM
Spikey. Cool it.

Behave.

blakespot

Mr. Anderson
Apr 19, 2002, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by blakespot
Spikey. Cool it.

Behave.

blakespot

Is there something going on here? Spikey isn't on the thread, just his ghost, right? Or does Spikey have a new incarnation? What gives, Blakespot?

Nice 'tar, Taft, very formal and dignified. Think you can live up to it?;)

Taft
Apr 19, 2002, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet

Nice 'tar, Taft, very formal and dignified. Think you can live up to it?;)

Not if my forum personality is anything like my real-life personality. Dressing down and having a gutter mouth are my trademarks. :D

But here I'll try to be Mr. Formal. Heh. ;)

Matthew

sparkleytone
May 4, 2002, 10:07 PM
someone mentioned this thread again, i think it was dukestreet. i read thru it again and i have come to a conclusion.

jef used to talk WAY to ********** much.

thank you.

Mr. Anderson
May 4, 2002, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by sparkleytone
someone mentioned this thread again, i think it was dukestreet.

yep that was me, john123 said he was back and this was the only evidence I had seen lately that he even exsisted.

but my question to you sparkleytone, how many times can you resurect a dead thread?

sparkleytone
May 5, 2002, 03:29 PM
don't know yet :p

this one isnt quite resurrected.