Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Harry K.

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2003
North Carolina
I recently ordered a powerbook from the Apple Store to get here in time for Christmas. I ordered it on the 20th and with 2-3 day shipping. Now I check back on it, and it's in Taiwan and expected to arrive on the 29th. I just can't understand why they ship from Taiwan. My brother ordered a 12" on the same day and his arrived today. Please, could you tell me what's up with that, and why they ship from Taiwan?

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Originally posted by patrick0brien
-Harry

Was yours BTO in some regard?

That might explain why. Also, Apple might not have any in the US in stock for their online store. It's easier to ship straight from Taiwan off the assembly line then ship them to a warehouse in the US, especially if it's a newer product. It just depends on what Apple has, and where.

If there was any part of it that was BTO, though, it would most definitely come from where it's being built.

pivo6

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2002
Minnesota
Originally posted by G4scott
If there was any part of it that was BTO, though, it would most definitely come from where it's being built.

Even something as simple as additional memory. I ordered my iMac last year, and the only addiional item I added was memory. It shipped from Taiwan to Anchorage, to Minneapolis.

Macpoops

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2002
PA
A buddy of mine said he ordered a 12 inch from an apple store but he won't get it til april or march cause of a "superdrive shortage" i think he's full of it. I've been telling him to cancel the order and just get it through the online store but he claims there is the shortage and it doesn't matter.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I ordered a new PB15 built to order on Dec 23 it shipped from taiwan this morning and is going to arrive around the 30th or hopefully sooner. Because i got it BTO it is shipping from Taiwan. I dont think that if there is a shortage means they are gonna release new models but that the xmas rush has emptyed current stock. If updates were comming than apple would stop building current models so close to a revision. The fact that apple is still mass producing current models leads me to believe that Apple wont be updateing Powerbooks any time soon

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
Welcome to the world of outsourcing.

It's much cheaper to have the warehousing done in Taiwan. Apple probably doesn't even handle the order taking itself. I don't know who their freight forwarder is for the US, FedEx probably if they're routing through Anchorage. If it is then they probably handle the entire process from pickup at factory to delivery to customer's door. According to a recent thread about slow deliveries in Europe, TNT handles the entire process for Europe. I doubt that Apple has any warehouses of its own in the US and the Apple Brick and Mortar stores along with the online store are probably supplied the same way, that way there are fewer handling issues. Of course all one's eggs or in the case of the burning FedEx plane, iPods, are in one basket and it can be disastrous.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.