PDA

View Full Version : Simply browsing the internet, Northbridge is at 80 degrees Celsius!

jshbckr
Jul 19, 2008, 01:50 AM
The only app I have open is Safari. My fans are going, but my computer is HOT HOT HOT.

I have 5GB total, 4x1GB and 2x512MB. The two 512's are Apple stock, and the other 4 are third-party, but have the big heat sinks.

What is going on!?

Mr.PS
Jul 19, 2008, 01:52 AM
Unless you're having visible performance issues, do yourself a favor, close the application reporting the temperatures, and uninstall it. Mac's are not over-clocked gaming PC's. They won't burn up or explode. They may run a little hot at first glance, but these are normal temperatures that have been tested throughly. If your fans are running and it's not 105 degrees in your room, then you're safe.

jshbckr
Jul 19, 2008, 01:59 AM
First of all, no, I won't be removing iStat Pro, but thanks for the recommendation.

Secondly, from what I've seen, this is a less than desirable temperature for a computer that is BARELY doing anything. I'm afraid to see what would happen if I start rendering a scene in Cinema 4D!

And finally, I understand these aren't over-clocked gaming PCs, but once I find out that perhaps my computer was running just a HAIR too hot and then POOF one of my components is fried, don't you think I'll be wishing I had asked some friendly people if they have some suggestions for cooling it?

Mr.PS
Jul 19, 2008, 02:05 AM
It wasn't my intention to seem offensive or unfriendly - sorry if it looked that way. I too had iStat when I got my Mac Pro and the temps seemed abnormal. It was all fine. If you still have your warranty try to render something. You will never know until you find out. Very few Mac's, especially desktops, have cooling issues.

jshbckr
Jul 19, 2008, 02:09 AM
Yeah, sorry if my response also seemed snappy :)

I just installed this program called Fan Control (not SMC fan control)

I like this one better. It can be found at

http://www.lobotomo.com/products/FanControl/

It's only been running about a minute or so and my Northbridge is already down to 55! :eek: