Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JRYAN34

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2008
I know how to install the new hard drive into my macbook but I was wondering is there anything else that I need to do after the install?

SpoonSport

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2008
Just Install the new hdd and re-install OS X that's right ???

not gonna format the new hdd first ???

Thank you

Neil321

macrumors 68040
Boot from disk ( hold c key down while booting ) go into disk utility in the menu bar, highlight the drive in the left pane, make sure your using the GUID partition table, format the drive HFS+ ( Mac OS extended journaled ) then carry on with the install

Tmog

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2006
Copenhagen, Denmark
If you want to make the upgrade really easy, then buy an external 2,5" casing. Then boot up from the external drive and copy it to the new one (I have used Superduper which is excellent to backup/restore and entire harddrive).

JRYAN34

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2008
Cant I just right click and copy everything on my laptop hard drive to my external one, and then when i install my new one just paste everything in there

Neil321

macrumors 68040
Cant I just right click and copy everything on my laptop hard drive to my external one, and then when i install my new one just paste everything in there

No you cant copy & paste an OS, either get an enclosure, put the new drive in the enclose clone your internal to the new drive in the enclosure using either ccc or superduper boot from the new drive if ok do the swap or follow my post a few threads above if you don't have an enclosure

or do you mean you have a external drive already? if thats the case you can clone the internal to it then once you have the new drive installed clone the OS back

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.