Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2001
Just a heads up to developers who have been pouring their heart and soul into their iPhone applications and have been stuck being able to only test it using the Aspen Simulator... I might have some bad news for you...

If you've been successfully using NSXMLDocument and have come to rely on it working just like it does in the simulator get ready for a huge let down when you discover your beloved application refuses to compile under the "iPhone" build style (as opposed to the "Aspen Simulator" build style)...

The really frustrating part is you can't even use the 'iPhone Device' build style (and discover your program fails to compile) until you pay your 99 bucks (and ADC approves you -- and you do all the 'stuff' needed to build and test your app on the iPhone/iPod)

Anyway, all is not a total loss.... NSXMLParser **is** included in the simulator *and* the iPhone/iPod hardware... It's not quite as simple as just stuffing your xml data into an NSXMLDocument and using all kinds of cool search methods that come along with NSXML* but its pretty much all we have to fall back on at this point... Unless you wanna try and figure out how to use libxml2 all by its lonesome.... I have a hard enough time with cocoa thank you very much and after looking at libxml2 and the kind of hoops you have to jump thu NSXMLParser was really a breeze!

Hope this helps!

Dave

stadidas

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2006
Kent, United Kingdom
As I understand it, they removed NSXMLDocument for being too heavyweight for the iPhone. This is rather annoying as I was planning to make rather heavy use of it. XML Parser is ok for reading, but if you need to write XML then that's a no go. I guess anyone wanting to utilise a SOAP service is up the creek now.
If you do just need to read XML, there's always this: http://code.google.com/p/touchcode/wiki/TouchXML

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2001
As I understand it, they removed NSXMLDocument for being too heavyweight for the iPhone. This is rather annoying as I was planning to make rather heavy use of it. XML Parser is ok for reading, but if you need to write XML then that's a no go. I guess anyone wanting to utilise a SOAP service is up the creek now.
If you do just need to read XML, there's always this: http://code.google.com/p/touchcode/wiki/TouchXML

I don't have any problem with 'hand rolling' a SOAP request... It's really nothing more than a HTTP request with a set of commands wrapped up in an xml string. I simply use NSURLConnect and build my body (xml) by hand. Yea its messy but for the stuff I'm using it for it works okay.

Dave

sujithkrishnan

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2008
Bangalore
I don't have any problem with 'hand rolling' a SOAP request... It's really nothing more than a HTTP request with a set of commands wrapped up in an xml string. I simply use NSURLConnect and build my body (xml) by hand. Yea its messy but for the stuff I'm using it for it works okay.

Dave

Dave, newbie here...

In my app i am parsing an XML from a URL by directly giving the parserObject the URL...

But i think its better to break the statement, say...connect to URL, get Data...Parse the Data..

So my question is how to make aHTTPConnection in the most native style, rather than NSHTTPConnection's sendSynchronousRequest (As the INSTRUMENTS showing leak in this line)

Moreover i want to discover where the problem occurs on network failure...(whether because of connection , data miss, or..like that...

Thanks

phxbbrown

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I found TouchXML's CXMLDocument to be a perfectly suitable replacement for NSXMLDocument, but I only needed the object to be readable.

Bill

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.