PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars or Star Trek?

mc68k
May 18, 2002, 07:36 PM
The question: Which do you like better, SW or ST?

This is all things considered. For Star Wars: Books and all Episodes. Star Trek: All series and books.

Personally, I love both. But I like the Star Wars universe better, since it's not based off Earth directly.

AlphaTech
May 18, 2002, 07:52 PM
For Star Trek, the newest series (Enterprise) is my favorite. I liked Voyager before that since it wasn't the typical ST.

For Star Wars, I like the first three movies (E1 blew chunks) as well as the newer books (new jedi).

If I had to choose between the two, I would have to say I like Star Wars better (sans episode 1), since it is generally a bit darker.

mc68k
May 18, 2002, 08:04 PM
Did you see Eposide II yet, Alpha? It might make SW all that much better for you. :)

Episode I did little for the overall storyline as a start of a trilogy, whereas A New Hope could've been a movie all by itself. Lucas recovered from horrible I with II though IMO.

AlphaTech
May 18, 2002, 08:13 PM
I might be going to see E2 either next weekend or after Memorial Day. I will be the only tech at work for all of this coming week. I am taking the week of Memorial Day off, so I will have some free time.

When A New Hope came out, it was strong enough to stand on it's own. I certainly hope that E2 is better then E1 (couldn't be any worse). I feel ripped off by E1, since I bought the tape, and then the dvd came out. I hadn't watched the tape, so I got the dvd... waste of my money. GL is being a rat bastard about releasing the first three movies on dvd, they should be available already, so that people can get the entire experince from the dvd, since it is better then tape.

mc68k
May 18, 2002, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by AlphaTech
GL is being a rat bastard about releasing the first three movies on dvd, they should be available already, so that people can get the entire experince from the dvd, since it is better then tape.
I heard about this "rat bastard-ness" not only with SW but with Indiana Jones as well. I forgot his reasoning though. Obviously the DVD is better, so maybe pirating issues?

You mentioned the books, Alpha Do you read them?

AlphaTech
May 18, 2002, 08:44 PM
I'm reading the new jedi order series now (on the 7th book in that series)... It's set 25 years after A New Hope, and is rather good.

Mr. Anderson
May 18, 2002, 08:49 PM
I voted for Star Wars because its an epic, not watered down like Star Trek. I've watched every Star Trek show on tv, the latest isn't really any different from NG, V, or even DS9, its all the same formula. What's great about Star Wars is that we've only seen 5 episodes (true there are a bunch of books but that doesn't count) and the story is not complete.

With Star Trek there are inconsistancies running throughout the whole series of shows and movies. Don't get me wrong, I look forward to the next Star Trek movie, but it shouldn't come as a total surprise that all the ST movies have been released in the Fall, not as summer block busters.

mc68k
May 18, 2002, 08:51 PM
I'm reading the new jedi order series now (on the 7th book in that series)... It's set 25 years after A New Hope, and is rather good.
Nice glad you like it. I haven't read anything in that series yet. I hear Chewy dies, Luke has a kid, and Anakin Solo dies.

E2 has sparked my interest again in the books. It helps the connections a whole lot more and makes the old movies have even more depth.

Due to school, which is now out, I've had to put everything on hold. So this summer's reading will probably be SW/C++. :)

AlphaTech
May 18, 2002, 08:57 PM
Chewy does die (early in the series), Luke has a kid in the book I am reading now, I hope Anakin lives (he's not in trouble yet).

You should read it, to get the full effect. I will probably go back and get more of the books, to get more history of what has happened up to this series.

Oh, and Han gives the Falcon a paint job (black anodizing finish) since it was being recognized way too much (by the beings they are fighting as well as many others).

mc68k
May 18, 2002, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet
With Star Trek there are inconsistancies running throughout the whole series of shows and movies. Don't get me wrong, I look forward to the next Star Trek movie, but it shouldn't come as a total surprise that all the ST movies have been released in the Fall, not as summer block busters.
Star Trek is done in episodes and movies whereas Star Wars has the advantage of just movies. While you can screw up a movie (E1), it's vastly easier to come up with bad material for a 1 hr episode as has been demonstarted many times with ST.

You know anything more about future ST movies? The last one (Insurrection?) was really bad. Hope Frakes and Co. can do better.

Funny inconsitency: TOS Klingons vs. TNG Klingons— LOL

mc68k
May 18, 2002, 09:09 PM
Chewy does die (early in the series), Luke has a kid in the book I am reading now, I hope Anakin lives (he's not in trouble yet).

You should read it, to get the full effect. I will probably go back and get more of the books, to get more history of what has happened up to this series.

Oh, and Han gives the Falcon a paint job (black anodizing finish) since it was being recognized way too much (by the beings they are fighting as well as many others).
Hehehe, Falcon. They make the Falcon so cool in the books. It's like the ulimate smuggler's ship "on steroids". They do a great job w/Slave 1 in the new movie.

Yeah you should definitely read some of the older books. I guess it depends on the authors you like and the characters/time period, but I would recommend both Solo Trilogies, Rogue Squadron, and I, Jedi. I just got Shadows that takes place between V and VI.

How are the twins/Anakin? They should be as strong as Luke's son, since the Force gets stronger through generations.

Yoda->Dooku->Qui-Gon->Obi-Wan->
Anakin->Luke->etc.

This series is really starting to be complete. There are Episodes 7,8,9 on audio tape from a radio show that they were selling at SW: The Magic of Myth. Just so much damn material and so little time!!

AlphaTech
May 18, 2002, 09:31 PM
The Solo twins and Anakin are good through this book. I need to find the next one in the series, since it wasn't at the bookstore the last time I went. Anakin actually has to remake his saber, but you need to read why and how. :D

mac15
May 18, 2002, 10:44 PM
I like starwars better....startrek is slow and boring...to me anyway:D

mc68k
May 18, 2002, 10:45 PM
We got three ST votes, but no explanation. Let's have it!!

Mr. Anderson
May 18, 2002, 11:15 PM
Ok, now this is one of my favorite movies, a wonderful spoof of the original Kirk,Spock,Bones,Scotty era ST. 'Never Give Up, Never Surrender!'

Ha, if you haven't seen it I highly recommend watching it, you'll be laughing your ass off, LYAO!

jelloshotsrule
May 18, 2002, 11:17 PM
haha. tim allen is great. i should see that maybe.

mc68k
May 18, 2002, 11:57 PM
It wasn't even a good spoof, really. 'Cept for the portrayl of the brainwashed trekkies. :)

I guess Allen's humor is lost on me. I only watched Home Improvement for Heidi.

Mr. Anderson
May 19, 2002, 12:03 AM
Oh, come on, there were so many shots at Star Trek.

'Come on, lets get out of here before something kills Guy!'

That was a classic, Guy, Crewman #6, gets killed off in his one episode in the original 'Galaxy Quest' series. Every time Kirk, Spock and Bones transport down to a planet, the guy (Guy) in the red shirt gets killed. He's lucky to even have a name or get to speak.

The whole movie is loaded with this sort of thing, I loved it. I hope they make a sequel.

mc68k
May 19, 2002, 12:11 AM
Alright, that's funny. I'll admit, that guy with the weird headpiece was midly amusing. And those aliens that acted logical were funny. It was better than Ice Age for a kids movie. Even if you look back on the original series, it's just funny becuase of the time period. I mean please, crewman in miniskirts??? Not that I'm complainng or anything. :)

That had to be the most politically correct crew of all time.