Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paolo30

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Has anyone updated to 10.3.2 and noticed an effect on the backlight on the 15" PowerBook?

(This is of course assuming that you were experiencing the uneven backlighting problem...)

I'm wondering whether this is a hardware problem or a firmware problem with the Ambient Light Sensor.

Comments? Suggestions?

justinf77

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2003
I did not notice the backlight problem before 10.3.2. Now I notice it. I do not think it is related though, just coincidence, because of the many posts on the topic at Apple Discussions.

Gallows Pole

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2004
Hi Paolo,

Here's some info.
I bought my PowerBook Alu 15" on January 2 or 3.
It shipped about 20 days later.
So I got it on January 25.
It came installed with MacOsX 10.2.X.
I updated to MacOSX 10.3 thanks to the CD that came with the PowerBook.
Then, I updated the OS with all available updates; including MacOs X 10.3.2.
Well, I can't tell how the screen was before, but after using it for a while I can tell for sure that as soon as the LCD display isn't illuminated to the max, the illumination is uneven. About all the right half of the screen is less illuminated as the left half…
At first, I thought I might be "thinking" there was a problem when there was none. So I asked some friends of mine if they could see it too. And they did. So I tried to search over the Internet to see if others experienced the problem too. And I noticed I'm not alone.
And obviously, there's no real fix to this as no one seems to be able to tell exactly what causes this uneven illumination…

Gallows Pole

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2004
Hi Bandit,

As you do , I assume it IS a hardware problem.
I'm not a tech. But I don't think the LCD itself is involved. Obviously, some had it replaced without luck. And if the LCD would be at fault, I guess the problem would still be to be seen at max brightness.
So what hardware is involved, I can't tell…
But I'd be more than glad to see an official fix to this problem !

Paolo30

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Hey Gallows, welcome to the club...
Official fix? Officially there's no problem at all. My number three machine (fourth screen) says different.

I'd like to give Apple Computer Co. a little tip- Don't attempt to use your customers as beta testers.

It's time I got me a refund.

Gallows Pole

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2004
Hey Paolo,

Yep, if nothing works for me this is too bad. For me a refund isn't really an option. Why ? Because a 12" POwerBook is too small, a 17" PowerBook is too expensive.
An iBook G4 ? No go. Screen too small, not as easy to carry as the PB and did you see how they look like when they're heavily used for more than 4 months ?
So to make some statements :
- misconception in PowerBooks
- bad quality in materials used for iBook construction
- repeated problems with white spots on PowerBook displays
- fuse burning in PowerMac G5
- loads of deficient memory modules found in PowerMac G5

I'd say it's time for Apple to :
1°) cease the frenetic will to release a new machine every 6 months
2°) improve quality checks before they release a new machine
3°) go out and choos e the best available components to justifiy the high selling price of their computers

If they can't match to points 1°), 2°, and 3°), then here are some advice on what they should do : concentrate on iPods and software, and ask somebody else to build MacOs compatible computers. Why not choose Dell to make them ?

One last question : my PowerBooks can't let it to emit a little whistle every 3 seconds or so at regular intervals. Not really loud, but still to be heard in quiet places like a library where PowerBooks might be used…
Anyone else with this problem ?

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by Gallows Pole
One last question : my PowerBooks can't let it to emit a little whistle every 3 seconds or so at regular intervals. Not really loud, but still to be heard in quiet places like a library where PowerBooks might be used…
Anyone else with this problem ?

Mine lets out a chirp everyone so often some times 5-10secs sometimes shorter or longer. If it's kind of a chirp it's a power management feature of the hard drive set at the manufacturer not by apple. It's the hard drive head parking and unparking itself.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by Paolo30
Hey Gallows, welcome to the club...
Official fix? Officially there's no problem at all. My number three machine (fourth screen) says different.

I'd like to give Apple Computer Co. a little tip- Don't attempt to use your customers as beta testers.

It's time I got me a refund.

As I've mentioned to you before it's definitely time for a lemon law action on this. I think the whole machine just needs replaced.

I still think these backlighting issues are related to a control chip on the mother board.

Paolo30

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
I heartily concur with your assessment on that, Gallows. I would also like to add the following recommendation:
Apple, get some decent Customer Assistance and stop treating your customers like something you stood in.

Actually, refund for me means no more Apple. The amount of money I have lost because of this machine does demand that I sever ties with the company and cease using or recommending their products. I'm going with a better specced HP notebook, that, I might add, is $1000 AUD cheaper.

Great OS, though. If they made it work on Pentium based machines they'd be serious competition for Microsoft. The machines are another matter - fashionable baubles that don't stack up to the competition in terms of the needs of professional usage.

Sayonara, Apple.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
I heartily concur with your assessment on that, Gallows. I would also like to add the following recommendation:
Apple, get some decent Customer Assistance and stop treating your customers like something you stood in.

Actually, refund for me means no more Apple. The amount of money I have lost because of this machine does demand that I sever ties with the company and cease using or recommending their products. I'm going with a better specced HP notebook, that, I might add, is $1000 AUD cheaper.

Great OS, though. If they made it work on Pentium based machines they'd be serious competition for Microsoft. The machines are another matter - fashionable baubles that don't stack up to the competition in terms of the needs of professional usage.

Sayonara, Apple.

Sorry to hear that. As I've told you before my experiences have been nothing but good even with exact same machine it's just unfortunate that there are some true lemons out there. Please don't talk a bunch of crap about Apple though based on your experience as quite a few people have had quite the opposite experience to yours.

Paolo30

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
This "bunch of crap" is my opinion based on three months of using the machine and dealing with Apple. I will say whatever I like based on my experience.
It has to be said - The Apple G4 Powerbook Alu is in my opinion a LEMON. No amount of religious devotion to the company will change that fact. Apple's customer service in Australia is terrible, and I have had enough of making excuses for this company.

I know that a lot of people will disagree, but this is based on my direct experience , which is all I can comment on. I have no doubt that there are people who are more than happy with the machine and they will no doubt flame my shiny butt for expressing my opinion on this, but when you've lost 3 grand because of the repeated failures of a machine that lays claim to being the best available solution one tends not to care.

This thing is like a Porsche made by Lada.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
This "bunch of crap" is my opinion based on three months of using the machine and dealing with Apple. I will say whatever I like based on my experience.
It has to be said - The Apple G4 Powerbook Alu is in my opinion a LEMON. No amount of religious devotion to the company will change that fact. Apple's customer service in Australia is terrible, and I have had enough of making excuses for this company.

I know that a lot of people will disagree, but this is based on my direct experience , which is all I can comment on. I have no doubt that there are people who are more than happy with the machine and they will no doubt flame my shiny butt for expressing my opinion on this, but when you've lost 3 grand because of the repeated failures of a machine that lays claim to being the best available solution one tends not to care.

This thing is like a Porsche made by Lada.

I didn't mean to cause you to go into a frenzy I thought I would just ask you nicely to consider the fact that the vast majority of these machines are working fine. You are on the other hand entitled to you're own opinion so speak what ever is on your mind it's not my place to tell you otherwise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.