Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chance9888

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2008
Louisiana
Hi all. I've been surfing the internet, and i came up with this. I don't know if it's true or not, but it would sure be cool. What are your reviews on it?

imac-dock2.jpg

medium_2162322558_628ab1fba1_o.jpg

apple-patents-keyboard-imac.jpg

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
That's old news. I remember it on MacRumors here.

Apple just doesn't use all of its patents, plain and simple. Just because they research into and patent something, doesn't mean they'll ever produce it.

creator2456

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago
If they ever do anything like that, it WILL NOT be an iMac. It will be a special ACD for this purpose.

Plus, it will need to be able to hold the 17" MBP while the other sizes will need adapters to fit into it properly.

Cool idea with some practicality for a small number, but not worth the cost at the moment.

TheNightPhoenix

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2005
"Filed June 3, 2006"

How old is the aluminium design for the iMacs?

The Aluminum images are just someone idea of how it would look, not part of the patent. Apples patent images are always hand drawn and child like, much like in the patent we see here. (the lower images)

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
So essentially you are buying a ACD with a built in dock? I would totally buy one even if it means an extra $100-200, but as long as I can also use it as a regular external monitor. All those docks for Thinkpads and Dells are like $100-200, so having an integrated one on a monitor, I like.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Bu!!$h!t consumerist view of technology if you ask me.

Makes no sense and will never work. People who think it will have never seen the inside of an iMac (old or new) nor the ACD. It's tight as is and making a working dock unit out of the iMac that allows a 1" thin MacBook to fit would be REALLY THICK.

Not to mention having an Apple flamebook running inside or an enclosed space next to a bright and HOT H-IPS panel wouldn't work to well either.

No way it'd be $100-$200. More like $700 for the 20" fat version and $1200 for the 24" ultra fat, heavy, useless model.

And yes, just hooking up a monitor is a lot easier and simpler. Stick it in the pile of garbage along with the iTablet (big @$$ iPhone) and MBP with square keys.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Bu!!$h!t consumerist view of technology if you ask me.

Makes no sense and will never work. People who think it will have never seen the inside of an iMac (old or new) nor the ACD. It's tight as is and making a working dock unit out of the iMac that allows a 1" thin MacBook to fit would be REALLY THICK.

Not to mention having an Apple flamebook running inside or an enclosed space next to a bright and HOT H-IPS panel wouldn't work to well either.

No way it'd be $100-$200. More like $700 for the 20" fat version and $1200 for the 24" ultra fat, heavy, useless model.

It may be hot, but then you can put a cooling fan to extract the heat.

And I didn't say $100-200 for the monitor; I said $100-$200 extra ;)

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
It may be hot, but then you can put a cooling fan to extract the heat.

But that would just make it thicker and louder. And as it stands, the iMac "Macbook dock" is still very undefined.

Is it a monitor with ports and cooling inside, but no CPU/GPU/RAM/HDD? Or is is a monitor with ports and nothing else, basically making it an iMac with the laptops parts stuffed into a real laptop?

And I didn't say $100-200 for the monitor; I said $100-$200 extra ;)

Oh, sorry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.