PDA

View Full Version : ipod photo with no battery

scatani
Jul 21, 2008, 07:06 AM
I have an ipod (photo) 60 gb without a battery (don't ask me why its a long story). Anyway it works fine, amazingly, in both my care dock (transpod and by my music dock (altec lansing in motion) but won't connect to the computer. The upshot is I can listen to whats on it but not add anythng new. There is power on the usb port as when i plug it in it gets a small battery on the ipod screen, but does not connect. Interestingly when I use the same cable to attach it to the charger it works.

any ideas, i would love to keepusing it to listen to podcasts in the car.

steve

samwise666
Jul 21, 2008, 01:20 PM
i had this with an ipod mini too

my computer didnt recognise my ipod till i got a new battery

your answer is probably ebay

you can get new bateries reasonably cheaply (some even boast better playing time how true that is is up to you :p) and they come with tools and stuff
though you prbably know if youve taken the battery out anyways...

hope that helps.

scatani
Jul 21, 2008, 05:11 PM
ahh if it were so easy... there is no baterry because the pins on the battery plug boke off (or should I say were off when i opened it up. Guess that why it was always intermitent. Any way I need to trick it like the docks somehow do.

thanks

phairphan
Jul 21, 2008, 06:03 PM
I going out on a limb here, but perhaps it doesn't work because a standard USB port can't provide enough power to operate the 1.8" hard drive in the Photo. Have you tried connecting it to your computer via FireWire? The Photo was the last iPod with a FireWire controller in it and your iPod should have shipped with a FireWire cable. FireWire provides significantly more power than USB.