Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Raphyy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
Miami, FL
I've been wanting to start with the MobileMe service for a while, but come to think of it, I don't really need it. So if any of you guys are MobileMe customers, what are your opinions on it?

I'll either signup for MobileMe or the iPhone developer program...

MacGeek7

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2007
As a Mac and soon to be iPhone owner, I would say that ability to stay synced and connected to everything is well worth it. Try it out for 60 days and see what you think

I really enjoy it - although I know many people are still having trouble with it

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Well, that depends. If you search the MM Forum, it's either the greatest thing since sliced bread or an epic failure (how I hate that term). YMMV.

FWIW, I like it.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
I've been wanting to start with the MobileMe service for a while, but come to think of it, I don't really need it. So if any of you guys are MobileMe customers, what are your opinions on it?

Just give the trial a go.

It's a bit limited, but it should give you an idea of how things work.

Holla

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2008

Nope. I've been a .Mac customer for awhile now. MobileMe was expected to "push" email, contacts, and calendars. As of right now, it only pushes email. Contacts, Calendars, etc are synced 15-20 minutes after changes. It actually took 6 hours for me to sync yesterday wirelessly. It was a lot faster doing manual syncs.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
It has worked quite well for me with a few exceptions. I believe the problems are the fact that it is new and Apple is going thru some startup problems. Since some of us are working with very little problems I would assume that Apple will get this running smoothly relatively soon. If you start a 60 day Free trial then you will know by the end if you should buy.

Also, why did you compare to the iPhone developer program. They are not related unless you are saying you only have $100 for one or the other. If the later then you may want to consider one of the free solutions.

I would recommend Yahoo Push Mail for your email client. It is free and has worked pretty well for me. I also used the Yahoo Address Book for my contacts which I was doing a manual Sync in iTunes. For the Calendar I was using Google (still am but now Auto Sync to Outlook) because I need to share with a number of people. Also, Google Calendar has a really nice browser client for the iPhone.

For me, I am about 99% sure of going with MobileMe because I want OTA Sync of Mail, Contacts and Calendar for the convenience. Also, since my wife and I both have an iPhone I will get the family plan (maybe from Amazon Discount) which I think is an excellent deal even for us Windows Users.

dquattlebum

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2008
Sacramento,CA
I'm still in the trial period, but I have to say I love it.

It keeps my iphone contacts, calendar, and email all synced automatically.

Yes the sync on the mac/pc isn't really "push" just yet, but it doesn't kill me to hit "sync" after I enter something on the mac or when I first get on the mac.

Apple is supposedly "working" on it.

Since the little mixups with apple I have 80 more days of my trial to mess with it... but so far I'm totally happy with it.

messedkid

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2007
Oshawa, ON
Would MM be worth it..for someone who does not own an iPhone, nor an iPod touch?

I do plan on getting an iPhone once I move back to canada ( between march - june 2009 ). Don't feel the need to start a 2 year contract here in Germany right now.

Would it be worth getting now?

macDonalds

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2007
Would MM be worth it..for someone who does not own an iPhone, nor an iPod touch?

I do plan on getting an iPhone once I move back to canada ( between march - june 2009 ). Don't feel the need to start a 2 year contract here in Germany right now.

Would it be worth getting now?

How many Macs do you have? If just one, no, not really worth it.

xA4Hx

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2007
Funny thing is I cant get mail2web to push email,contact,calendar at all. I retry mobileme , I get my email but have yet to receive my contact or calendar.

I restored my phone hoping to fix mail2web but still not working.
Ever, starting to make me think both are being flooded or iphone has a bug in it for push.

-illusion

Scooterman1

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2008
Houston, Tx
Worth it now as a trial...... if you like getting frustrated.
If they ever get it working as advertised, then if you need or like the features..... yes.
If you want it just for the push email, then get another account like Yahoo Mail. It pushes to the iPhone. And believe it or not, Yahoo has it working great.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Funny thing is I cant get mail2web to push email,contact,calendar at all. I retry mobileme , I get my email but have yet to receive my contact or calendar.

I restored my phone hoping to fix mail2web but still not working.
Ever, starting to make me think both are being flooded or iphone has a bug in it for push.

-illusion

If you are using the mail2web (fee based service) I would think you could get support from them. I assume you are using the Exchange Support. From what I hear it is working great.

There should not be a problem with iPhone Push Support. I have been using the Yahoo Push without problems for the past year (the first 3-6 months had problems).

MobileMe is having major overload/startup problems. This could take a while to get resolved.

thunderclap

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2003
I haven't really had any problems with it. The ONLY thing I wish Apple would allow is users of IE 6 to be able to access the site. My wife works at a company that refuses to update their network (their main scheduling software is still DOS-based!) and she's stuck on a Windows 2000 PC. IE 7 won't install on it and they refuse to put Firefox on it. It would be very convenient to be able to share calendars. *sigh*

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
I haven't really had any problems with it. The ONLY thing I wish Apple would allow is users of IE 6 to be able to access the site. My wife works at a company that refuses to update their network (their main scheduling software is still DOS-based!) and she's stuck on a Windows 2000 PC. IE 7 won't install on it and they refuse to put Firefox on it. It would be very convenient to be able to share calendars. *sigh*

Does you wife use Outlook? If so, she would not need the Web Interface at work if she just used Outlook and Synced with MobileMe. I seldom use the Web Interface.

thunderclap

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2003
Does you wife use Outlook? If so, she would not need the Web Interface at work if she just used Outlook and Synced with MobileMe. I seldom use the Web Interface.

She may use Outlook at work... I'm not really sure. How would she sync Outlook to the MobileMe calendar? Is there documentation on this somewhere?

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
She may use Outlook at work... I'm not really sure. How would she sync Outlook to the MobileMe calendar? Is there documentation on this somewhere?

Yes.

http://www.apple.com/mobileme/setup/pc/

MORE:

I guess I should have said what the "blehpunk" said. There are a number of people having problems with MobileMe. In my case I am not having any problems with the Sync of Contacts and Calendar (some problems in the beginning). I use Outlook 2007. As far as Mail, I am not having as many problems as others on this forum. But I do go from time to time when I don't get any mail. But it then starts up again. I would say that I have not been down for more the 4 hours at a time, and that would be rare.

VespR

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2004
I think it will be great when it works, but right now it's pi##ing me off.

When I signed up to it and set it up on Friday, everything worked pretty much as advertised. If I made a new event on my iPhone, in about 10-15 mins it was on my mac and vice versa. For some reason now that's completely stopped working. In fact, the syncing for everything apart from Mail isn't working OTA which is kinda annoying, but it's just one of those things you know they'll fix very soon.

I haven't used the @me yet because I have a gmail account, but I imagine over time I'll use .Me for more serious stuff. Also the filehosting thing sounds nice, but Rapidshare kinda ties me over for that.

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
I agree.

MobileMe in the next few months will eventually turn the corner into a big upgrade for Apple online wise

It is just at the moment, it is not worth any money whatsoever. It isn't worth being given for free

I say let it go for another month or so then sign up

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I have been a .Mac person for 6 years. This fiasco is getting to me so much that I removed my auto-pay for the upcoming renewal.

I hope they get it fixed by then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.