Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FuuFuu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
Roselle
maybe this has been discussed on different threads, if yes then please give me the link.

Why don't all macs just have external cd drives? Sure CDs are used to install a program, or import music into the laptop, but it never has to be used at all times. installing and importings from a CD only requires the drive to be there temporarily. videos games would be the only reason not to have an external drive but a macbook is not a video game dedicated laptop, nor is the mbp. If taking out the CD drive will decrease the weight of the laptop and possibly the height, i would definitely consider buying that laptop.

Insulin Junkie

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2008
Mainland Europe
Because enough people still want them integrated, that's the answer.
Not everyone rips their movies before watching them on the go, or wants to take along an external disc drive, I know I wouldn't. When I take my laptop along I don't want to have to think about if I should take the external drive with me or not because I *might* or *might not* be watching a movie or listening to a CD on my computer while I'm away at friends or out in nature.

I'm sure enough people think like me, hence they still come built in. The only reason to leave one out in my opinion is ultra portability, and I'm sure that kind of clientelle isn't gonna get a MB or a MBP to start off with =P

Deschain

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
Needing an external drive just means i need to be tethered to my desk for certain tasks and that requirment really negates the purpose of a laptop.

cMacSW

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2006
I had a power book duo that had no disk drives, that was a pain, I'm happy the MBP has the drive I wouldn't want a laptop without one.

skimboarder

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2007
hey, my macbook internal disc drive is broken (and i cant get it replaced), could anyone recommend a good, slim, and inexpensive optical/super drive?

cya

does anyone kno if i can you the macbook external drive?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.