PDA

View Full Version : Mac Pro BTO Question

dbam987
Jul 21, 2008, 03:41 PM
Hey all, I got another question here, this time about the build-to-order options for a Mac Pro. I'm wondering on if I choose to get 2 of the Radeon 2600 XT, would they automajikly operate in Crossfire mode in Windows? Or would I have to tinker around with the guts of the Mac Pro to get Crossfire enabled?

matt321
Jul 22, 2008, 01:41 PM
It's very simple. All you have to do is install the latest Catalyst Drivers in Windows and there will be a "Enable Crossfire" box in the drivers. You don't need to tinker with the inside of your Mac Pro at all (Since the 2600 XT does NOT use a Crossfire Cable.)

dbam987
Jul 22, 2008, 02:34 PM
Sweet, thanks for the info matt321.

How about if I choose to get dual-3870's? or 4870's?

matt321
Jul 22, 2008, 02:42 PM
Dual 3870's will work both Mac and PC (If you get the Mac and PC version of course ;)) The 4870's will only work through bootcamp...

Both setups will require a Crossfire cable. The cable should be included in the packaging (According to this thread, it is: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=511360 )

Siron
Jul 22, 2008, 04:03 PM
It's very simple. All you have to do is install the latest Catalyst Drivers in Windows and there will be a "Enable Crossfire" box in the drivers. You don't need to tinker with the inside of your Mac Pro at all (Since the 2600 XT does NOT use a Crossfire Cable.)

How can two cards work in Crossfire mode without the cable?????? I don't think so. You need the cable.

matt321
Jul 22, 2008, 07:19 PM
@Siron:

I stand corrected! I guess the mac version does require a crossfire cable. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=440870

I hadn't looked at a 2600 XT for a Mac Pro but I know that on other 2600 XT's there is no place for a crossfire cable. It uses the PCI-Express bandwidth on the main board instead of a dedicated cable.

dbam987
Jul 22, 2008, 07:51 PM
As much as it pains me to delay the procurment of a shiny new computer, I'm thinking of holding off getting a Mac Pro until at least the first half of next year. My current desktop is holding up well (for my job), and my MBP works fine for all my OSX related tasks (light to medium graphics work).

Thanks to all who answered my questions in this thread as well as the other threads I started about the Mac Pro. My next machine WILL definitely be a Mac Pro for sure. :apple: