PDA

View Full Version : Will the iPhone SDK run on a G5?

jchildress
Jul 21, 2008, 07:40 PM
I know that the requirments state an intel Mac for running the SDK. But if a G5 Mac can run OSx, why can't it run the iPhone SDK? Does xCode not work on a G5?

If this is an obvious answer, I apologize as I'm completely new to Macs.

TEG
Jul 21, 2008, 07:46 PM
It has to do with the endianness of the iPhone and Intel Macs being the same. The SDK only works with these systems. So while a G5 can run XCode, the SDK is not a universal app, and will only run on an Intel Mac.

TEG

DaveGee
Jul 21, 2008, 07:46 PM
I know that the requirments state an intel Mac for running the SDK. But if a G5 Mac can run OSx, why can't it run the iPhone SDK? Does xCode not work on a G5?

If this is an obvious answer, I apologize as I'm completely new to Macs.

If I'm not mistaken the SDK isn't really the issue so much as the Aspen Simulator (iPhone Simulator) that is used to run/test/debug the application you are writing... now if you already have paid the $99 and are accepted into the developer program so you can test/debug on the iPhone or iPod directly then I guess you might be able to get away with it... I do remember reading (early on - back during the 1st release of the SDK) that people were getting around 'Intel-Only' requirement using pacifist.... can't say if that is still an option tho.

I'd google search on iPhone SDK Install G5 pacifist and see what turns up!

Dave