Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fake1009

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2008
Before all this I could I could not locate myself using wi-fi.

Okay I am really not sure if it works for other people. What I did was download the google application and determined my location in that app. I think I searched something locally and the google app closed. The maps app opened and after a while it showed me my location with the blue target.

I realized that if it could determine my location via the google app it must be able to do that with the maps app. I tried it on the maps app for a couple of times and it did not work initially. After a couple failed attempts it finally located me but it took some time. Now the maps app locates me within a couple of seconds!

Seems like the google app signed my up with skyhook or something. Or perhaps the map app is communicating with the google app somehow.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
The Maps.app (which is by Google) scans your local vicinity for open Wi-Fi networks and their MAC addresses. It then compares this information to known WiFi networks at Skyhook. YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION IS NOT INCLUDED. You could register your WiFi networks and their location at Skyhook to increase the accuracy, but that is about it.

If the information that Map.app receives for location does not change, then it uses the last cached version of the response it got from Skyhook. This is also true for the iPhone.

TEG

fake1009

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2008
If the information that Map.app receives for location does not change, then it uses the last cached version of the response it got from Skyhook. This is also true for the iPhone.

TEG

The thing is I did change my location. I was a couple miles away from home and located myself. When I came home I did the locate feature and it located me at my house. This did not happen before the google app thing. I also did not register with Skyhook.

Also to clarify I did not register with Skyhook nor did they ever scout out my house. I know this because the map app never was able to locate me before this whole thing.

Also to Pismodude : Why not give my trick a try?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.