PDA

View Full Version : Need some convincing help

alphaod
Jul 22, 2008, 09:12 AM
Back story: I built a desktop a few years ago with Pentium M and stuff so it would be very quiet; my mother is picky about that stuff. I installed Windows XP, and it was working fine until the HDD has issues, so I replaced it and installed Linux; it worked out for a while until 2 weeks ago when she starting having problems here and there; I've fixed some, I think it's time she invested in something better. I'm really sick of fixing problems every day. I didn't know it was even possible to break stuff in Linux without root or Terminal...

Anyways, so I need help convincing her that she needs a new computer; please don't give me crap about new refreshes; she couldn't care less. I need this conversion done ASAP, today if possible. We don't really have stringent finances, but she will not buy stuff she has little to no experience in. In other words, she will buy cars, expensive woman stuff, etc, but $50 on a cell phone or a few hundred on a TV she will be complaining for days. I know she like the MacBook Air as my dad recently got one, but I don't want her to get that either; she wants to use it as a desktop most of the time, so hence the MacBook.

I'll need some convince here; especially help from those who were pleading to get one for school and stuff... (of course minus the buy one for homework ;) )

Regards.

tmelvin
Jul 22, 2008, 09:26 AM
Convincing? WOW...well here goes...

First: It's true that it just works. You buy an MB [I recommend a Refurb. They're as good as s new, and cost a lot less]. You open them up, start it, answer a couple of questions, and you're done. It's on and you're productive.

Second: There are no virus issues. This isn't to say you can get in a pickle, but every install, or anything needing access to certain critical files requires a password. So unless she just disregards the warning there, she'll have no issues at all.

Third: They're so easy to use. Everything is intuitive. Mail, Safari, Chat, etc. You click, and go. No problems. At least I've never encountered any. Plus you get a lot of software pre-installed. iLife is great. You'll need a Word Processor, etc. but you can go the free route with Neo [don't use it, or care for it myself, but others here seem to like it], or you can get iWork '08 for like $50 [works well, and it's easy!!!].

That's a start, and I'm sure others will pipe in with their thoughts. Just do it!!! Oh wait, that's Nike...sorry!

smythcc
Jul 22, 2008, 11:38 AM
I'd say it really depends on how she'll use it. If she's going to be using it exclusively as a desktop, why not get a Mac mini? She can use whatever peripherals she has left over from her current desktop and it will be quite a bit cheaper than a MB as well. I did notice the fact that you stated she'd be *mostly* using it as a desktop, so this may not be an option, and it sounds like you might have already figured out what you want to get her.

One recommendation I'd make is maybe try getting her acclimated to using one, let her toy around with your MBP for a day or two, or take her into an Apple store and show her around OSX. She can get used to the environment, the Dock, the universal menu bar, etc. Since she was able to make the switch from Windows to Linux, making the switch over to Mac shouldn't be terribly difficult for her either, especially since, as tmelvin said, it just works. I just got my first Mac a couple weeks ago (a MB, in fact), and it really is easy to setup and use. I imagine she's not the type that uses keyboard shortcuts often, but that was really the biggest obstacle I've run into in terms of the basics of the jump, and even that isn't too bad.

If she's finicky about using OSX, make a note too that she is able to install Windows on there if she absolutely has to. It's convienient if there's any sort of programs you need that you can't use on OSX, and it's rather easy to switch between the two OSs when you need to.

I don't know if you've looked here already (Link to Apple's Get a Mac page (http://www.apple.com/getamac/)), but that page contains a lot of other information you can use, including an FAQ page about switching.

Hope this all helps, and good luck!

Insulin Junkie
Jul 22, 2008, 12:00 PM
Haha.. that sounds familiar. I recently convinced my mother to go iMac and get rid of her 6 year old PC (and my mother's a hard one to convince, she still has her 7 year old cell phone and refuses to buy a new one) xD

I told her she'd never have to bother about anti-virus software again and explained in an exhaggerated way how dangerous viruses are and how even the best anti virus programs aren't 100% safe... then I also told her a new computer would be infinitely faster and she wouldn't have to wait so long for her mail and internet to open up. She also has the first computer we ever owned at home - the Macintosh Performa 5200 in good memory so I kinda built up on that. Those three did it for her, I think. Though she did say that part of her gave in because she knows I like Mac and wanted to please me xD

FuuFuu
Jul 22, 2008, 12:19 PM
i too had to convince my father to let me buy a macbook. never regretted it. here are the links that helped me and my father understand about leopard and mac.

Guided tour (I would download this to your computer first):
http://www.apple.com/macosx/guidedtour/

OSX various features
http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/

Why a Mac
http://www.apple.com/getamac/whymac/

Consultant
Jul 22, 2008, 12:25 PM
Why a Mac
http://www.apple.com/getamac/whymac/

Ads
http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/

Leopard Guided Tour
http://www.apple.com/macosx/guidedtour/

alphaod
Jul 22, 2008, 09:23 PM
Okay, thanks for the responses. Here are some big problems:
1) My mother doesn't give a crap about viruses, she's never gotten one on the computer; so that argument won't work.
2) There is a language barrier; all those videos are pretty confusing at times.
3) The only things she does so far is go online and read emails. I want to teach her Photoshop and all that stuff, but it's not going to happen in Linux.
4) Unfortunately the computer she is using is already very fast for her needs.
5) She is very stubborn (I'm kind of that too) and so she won't go any way to please you; she does what she thinks is right and that's it. I tell her I like the Mac and she'll tell me that's why [insert problem here].
6) She never buys stuff based on ads; only what she needs and that's it.
7) The largest problem of them all: She hate computers. It was already really hard to get her to use one; and to get to switch is like asking the Pope to become an atheist--not impossible, but damn near it.

I'd really like some arguments for someone who is new to computers, hates said product, and won't listen and agree unless the argument is air tight.

Insulin Junkie
Jul 23, 2008, 12:35 PM
Okay, thanks for the responses. Here are some big problems:
1) My mother doesn't give a crap about viruses, she's never gotten one on the computer; so that argument won't work.
2) There is a language barrier; all those videos are pretty confusing at times.
3) The only things she does so far is go online and read emails. I want to teach her Photoshop and all that stuff, but it's not going to happen in Linux.
4) Unfortunately the computer she is using is already very fast for her needs.
5) She is very stubborn (I'm kind of that too) and so she won't go any way to please you; she does what she thinks is right and that's it. I tell her I like the Mac and she'll tell me that's why [insert problem here].
6) She never buys stuff based on ads; only what she needs and that's it.
7) The largest problem of them all: She hate computers. It was already really hard to get her to use one; and to get to switch is like asking the Pope to become an atheist--not impossible, but damn near it.

I'd really like some arguments for someone who is new to computers, hates said product, and won't listen and agree unless the argument is air tight.

I have to say I was often tempted to hit my mothers old PC up with a home made malignant virus to make her buy a new computer but I'm too soft so I just sorta honey potted her into getting the mac (done the whole *cutesy daughter goes awww mum* thing on her) xD

Why don't you try and say it like it is - you don't feel like repairing something new ever so often, and if she got the mac you'd never have to repair anything. That's the only other argument I can think of. If it wasn't for that I'd side with your mother and say hell.. I really don't think she needs a new computer if that's her attitude :o

Beric
Jul 23, 2008, 12:45 PM
If your mother (or father) is that stubborn, I might suggest not seriously harming your relationship with her just to get your point across. She'll still have you as a son in 10 years. She probably won't still have this Macbook. A little something I've learned from experience. ;)

And anyways, it sure sounds like she is determined to stay with what she's got. I'd take it easy and slow on convincing her, instead of shoving arguments in her face.

alphaod
Jul 23, 2008, 03:08 PM
I have to say I was often tempted to hit my mothers old PC up with a home made malignant virus to make her buy a new computer but I'm too soft so I just sorta honey potted her into getting the mac (done the whole *cutesy daughter goes awww mum* thing on her) xD

If I did that, she's stop using the computer altogether and that would be really bad.

And anyways, it sure sounds like she is determined to stay with what she's got. I'd take it easy and slow on convincing her, instead of shoving arguments in her face.

Okay I guess this will take a few years.