Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marlin

macrumors member
Original poster
May 29, 2008
I'v completed capturing a a few DV tapes to FCP and is a time consuming task, since most tapes have so many time code breaks and I have many more to go. I don't want to sit thru dubbing all this to new tape and then capture. My question is?

The format is now SD not DV can I output to tape and use the new tape as my new archived tape.

Thanks so much.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
I'v completed capturing a a few DV tapes to FCP and is a time consuming task, since most tapes have so many time code breaks and I have many more to go. I don't want to sit thru dubbing all this to new tape and then capture. My question is?

The format is now SD not DV can I output to tape and use the new tape as my new archived tape.

Thanks so much.
As long as you are using firewire there is no generation loss between copies. So, if you captured your DV tapes into FCP via FW and then took those captured clips and recorded them back to new DV tapes via FW both tapes will have the same image quality.

Lethal

Marlin

macrumors member
Original poster
May 29, 2008
Yes, all are FW but why is it that everywhere I look everyone says the only archive tape should be the original or you must dub to new tapes in order to preserve the old media, I'm not sure but if I try to recapture the new tape (the one I output to tape in FCP) what format settings would I use for capture?

-DH

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2006
Nashville Tennessee
The format is now SD not DV

Huh? SD isn't a video format or codec. If you originally recorded DV footage to a DV tape, then you have DV. If you capture that in FCP as DV (NTSC or PAL), you'll still have DV. If you capture DV footage in iMovie, you'll still have DV, albeit a slightly different DV codec than what FCE or FCP uses.

By the way, DV is just one of many SD (standard definition) video formats.

-DH

macosxman

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2005
UTC -6
If your time code breaks are causing problems, you could

1) Use FCP's "Capture Now" to import the whole tape, trim the ends, and re-export, or

2) If you only want a second set of tapes, you could use a 4pin-to-4pin FireWire cable to remove timecode errors. Simply play back on one dcek/camera and record on another, effecting a lossless digital transfer. You can use an adapter to change a 4-to-6 into a 4-to-4. This avoids any sort of import/export labor or computer usage, and you might not have to mess with any settings (though I've never actually done this; make sure to verify the results of your process).

Marlin

macrumors member
Original poster
May 29, 2008
yes . thanks I was thinking that the DV 720-480 was changed to 640 480 on capture but was wrong. just keep getting messages audio not syncing to video when doing capture now but all looks OK. The reason I was worried. I wanted to be absolutely sure I didn't overlook any thing before I do all this outputting to new tape.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.