Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petersonwork

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
Hey, when i plugged my external in I got a message saying that I took it out wrong and some information might have been lost. Now whenever I plug it in it does not show up and nothing happens and I have all of my work and all of my files.
Please Help,
-Ken

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You need to unmount/eject the drive before you unplug it. To do that, drag the drive icon from your desktop to your trash can.

petersonwork

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
When I went to Disk Utility it did not show up there so I could not repair or whatever.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
When I went to Disk Utility it did not show up there so I could not repair or whatever.

Disconnect from computer, turn off the drive completely, then turn it back on and plug it back in? It gives absolutely no messages anymore?

Also, check system.log in Console (also in the utilities folder) to see if there are any errors...

petersonwork

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
Jul 22 14:28:15 new-host-2 Disk Utility[195]: **********
Jul 22 14:28:15 new-host-2 Disk Utility[195]: Disk Utility started.
Jul 22 14:28:51 new-host-2 Disk Utility[202]: **********
Jul 22 14:28:51 new-host-2 Disk Utility[202]: Disk Utility started.

Like nothing comes up at all....no messages or anything. I plug in and nothign happens at all. Not even like loading or anything popping up.
-Ken

jmacatac2002

macrumors member
May 13, 2008
I had a problem like that too, well not exactly like that but similar. It might have something to do with formatting issues. . . Mac tends to do things like that. . . like it all of a sudden realizes after using it for a while, that "oh, this drive isn't formatted correctly so I'm going to stop allowing it to work." If there is a PC around try plugging it into that, to see if it works on a PC, that will let you know if the External is damaged or the Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.