PDA

View Full Version : Macs and Piracy (Unbiased)

spuncan
May 19, 2002, 01:34 PM
Well here's a Macs and ___ that hasn't been done yet. So how do u guys feel about it? Myself I think it can be broken down into a few categories.
Over Pricing- the item pirated costs too much otherwise (CD's, M$ products)

General Disregard for Hard Work- People want that apps. and don’t care about the programmers (Retards) (Most Apps.)

Testing- truly this is just the same as demos but goes for Apps That don’t have demos or want to check out all the features, songs or the like. (Pretty much anything)

I'd like to point out that I don't know one person that directly or indirectly have pirated something (have u ever tapped something off TV :) )

CD's- myself I Myself I believe that the riaa charges way too much for cd's I mean .25¢ for a cd to be stamped (or less), .10¢ for the artists, $5.00 for markups, shipping, etc. Then $5+ dollars for the record industry WTF I mean if cd were only $10 I'd end my Riaa boycott and start buying CD's again.

Software/Games- I believe that some software costs way to much, $300 for Office V.X ¿?WTF?¿. Other than that I download a few games to check if I want to buy it or not, if not I delete it. (Who really wanted Q3A :) )

Movies- Generally I'll download a movie that I really like before it comes out on DVD (like that Matrix yet I own the VHS and the DVD two DVD set)
So in the end I believe that piracy is wrong when its mis-used or drawn out of proportion and becomes a natural habit.
Open to any comments

MacAztec
May 19, 2002, 01:41 PM
Yes, I am guilty.

I do download most of my apps from a certain program (not carracho or hotline)

[edit: please don't talk about specifics of piracy... this is a public forum.]

But if I really like the program, I usually end up buying it. I think the only one I have bought is Quake, and OS X.

King Cobra
May 19, 2002, 01:43 PM
I tried to download a few movies, but I figured that if I plan to download a 1GB file through 28.8K dial-up, I better get a lot of sleep. :)

Second, I do tape some things of the TV; I already have a tape of about 4 hours of Whose Line Is It Anyway. I keep LMAO every time I watch the ending.

Third, I'll be honest, I have downloaded some programs (that are free) and some programs (that I got for free...). Luckily, I do not mind getting rid of these products, since I do not use them that much. I honestly would recommend buying the software if you are actively going to use it for a central purpose. Otherwise, well, it would be a shame.

And as for downloading audio, I usually download the audio so that in the future, I can buy the CD (I keep the audio since some songs are just impossible to ignore).

I feel that certain P2P applications, however, are needed. Some people are not doing anything wrong, but rather sending simple pictures of cars with a citation or their own made up jokes to be passed around. But there are some people who happen to actually get around the copyright protection on VCDs and other material that allows them to place it on the P2P network, possibly, trying to get people caught. For me, I need P2P.

Any time is a great time for iPod.
Working on 500 post signature...

britboy
May 19, 2002, 01:56 PM
At uni here we have a server with around 500 gigs of movies and mp3's ([edit: please don't talk about specifics of piracy... this is a public forum.]). Kind of puts piracy on a different level... sure, i copy the movies onto CD, and watch them at my leisure. If it a good film, i'll then go out and buy the DVD. It's worth it for the extra quality and extra features.

I agree with King Kobra on software. Good developers deserve support for their sterling efforts.

Does someone know where the whole 'delete the files within 24 hours' thing comes from? If it's illegal to download it, it's illegal to download it, regardless of how long you keep it, ce n'est pas?

jelloshotsrule
May 19, 2002, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by britboy
Does someone know where the whole 'delete the files within 24 hours' thing comes from? If it's illegal to download it, it's illegal to download it, regardless of how long you keep it, ce n'est pas?

c'est vrai.

though i heard that 24 hour thing in reference to music i thought... at least that's how i remember it. either way, doesn't really make sense. just seems like rationalizing in my book.

some stuff's too expensive and has no demo with which to test/learn. and i think younger folks (high school or before) will best be served by using this software early in life and thus cannot always afford it or justify it to parents..

doesn't make it right, but that's some reasoning/rationalizing.

as for music, i think it's a bit different. for me, if i really like the music, i WILL buy the cd. to support the band. to have the better quality and to have the liner notes and such. the music i like is usually indie type stuff so the bands do need the support...

King Cobra
May 19, 2002, 02:37 PM
I would agree on buying the movie, as britboy said. (And FYI, britboy, you may refer to me as King Cobra, with a C, or just KC). Besides, you get much better quality from the DVD than a supermajority of VCD films that are featured on clients at a university, college, unknown CIA labratory.

Now that I have mastered downloading music, I will probably move on to mastering managing patience with my modem, although Mozilla is helping me with this.

britboy
May 19, 2002, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by King Cobra
And FYI, britboy, you may refer to me as King Cobra, with a C, or just KC

Damn it, i need to get out of this country :p :rolleyes: That 'C' which sounds like a 'K' is cilling me.

edesignuk
May 19, 2002, 03:04 PM
Well...I do use Limewire for Mac appz and KaZaA for PC, I like them and am all for them.
That's not to say that I don't buy software either if i feel it's worth it, for example...

However, £99 for OS X is a much more reasonable price for a far better OS, I didn't even bother looking for a pirate version of it, I went straight out to buy it. I think that apple deserved my £99 for all their hard work.

King Cobra
May 19, 2002, 03:04 PM
No big deal. I saw someone else's name misspelled and it just sort of got on my nerves. I think that if anything needs to be spelled right, it is someone's name. I'm not getting on anyone's nerves right now.

BTW, britboy, you said you managed to copy these files from the U onto CDs? I guess that works well when you want to go portable and do want to waste battery power with your portable computer (which I assume you have one...) and you do not want to insert a DVD. That makes a lot of noise and heat.

Does your University have any Macs for use, or are you stuck with, well, PCs? :(

britboy
May 19, 2002, 03:29 PM
PC's? Nooooooo..... I have an ethernet connection to a hub dedicated to 12 flats, which in turn connects to a fiber optic backbone, to a server with all the files. Basically, i get a fast line from my room, where i have (you guessed it) a tibook 500.

It's really good though for when i'm travelling to/from england. A DVD would cane the battery. I love how i seem to often get a crowd behind me :D

spuncan
May 19, 2002, 03:30 PM
It appears my Government Sting Op. is going well JK :D
As for the laws and such Bill Clinton signed a Internet Privacy Act in 95 trhat said people or the ISP can't be forced to give info up on who downloaded illegal stuff from a server. Recently G.W.B. added to that bill that no one could be sued for breaking copywrite laws electronically unless either of those people (receipient or sender tried to charge people for the item itself)
so theoretically u could burn EP2 and sell to eople for the cost of burning it and the CD about 50¢ to a dollar and you would be fine :)
BTW-Britboy can I get access to ur Universities server :)
BTW2- JK means justkidding.

Ensign Paris
May 19, 2002, 03:33 PM
If i use a piece of software regularly I will purchase it (although I haven't paid for PShop 7 yet, i still use beta) recently I have not used much legal software due to using betas that work in OSX. But as soon as I have the time I will pay for the upgrades as I don't like being illegal, even if it is really easy to get away with.

Every though I do use Hotline alot for Movies and MP3s.

Ensign

King Cobra
May 19, 2002, 03:37 PM
I am not at college, yet. That is one reason why I asked. And no PC's? Man, the U I want to go to in ME (more shortcuts!) is sort of half Macs and half PCs. I did notice one guy getting very fustrated with a Dell mouse. So I will defenitely enjoy it in Maine.

The Macs there are one of the first G4 PowerMacs. I know this because it came with the original black Apple keyboard and the hockey puck mouse. I still found the Macs there way cooler.

As for getting a crowd behind you, I am already popular for having an iPod and bringing that to class (Pascack Hills HS) to listen to music while taking notes. It is a shame I am not allowed to do this all the time. Well, at least I will remain popular, at least for another year and a half, for that is when I go to USM, the University of Southern Maine.

I am sure that Piracy issues are not really a problem there.

britboy
May 19, 2002, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by spuncan
BTW-Britboy can I get access to ur Universities server :)

Unfortunately not. I've tried accessing the ftp server from a computer off-campus, but it seems to be firewalled :( Shame that. I guess i'm just going to have to make the most of it for the remaining 6 weeks i have here. What a shame ;)

cleo
May 19, 2002, 03:42 PM
...but I never got into all of this "file-sharing" business. Not seriously, at least. Before I had my Macs I had Morpheus, and I occasionally downloaded songs, but without exception I bought the CD's of every single one that stayed on my hard drive for more than 5 minutes (if I like it enough to listen to, I might as well have it sound decent and not have to go through the trouble of finding high-quality rips of it and all of its album-friends). As far as downloading software... 1) I don't know how, and 2) I'm a bit paranoid (from living in XP hell for a few months) that somehow I will be found out and carted off to jail. Plus, I like the anticipation that goes along with saving up for new (overpriced) software... it just makes it that much more satisfying. That having been said, I ddo search and search to find the cheapest academic versions I can (but I'm still a student, if not a degree-pursuing one, and so that's legal :)).

3rdpath
May 19, 2002, 04:49 PM
i know i'm in the minority on this-it was very obvious after the morpheus thread...but if it's not shareware or a demo and you didn't pay for it-then its stealing.

there are many things in this world that i want that are too expensive for me to purchase --so i save up or i find an alternative product that is within my means....thats life.

don't try to justify theft by saying a product is overpriced--whether its a cd, software, dvd--it just doesn't matter. someone spent a portion of their life creating a product from an abstract idea. its not for you to determine whats a fair market value for this product other than not buying it....which may influence the price in the long run.

i know i'm not going to change anyone's ideas here-once again, thats painfully obvious from the previous thread. but i had to speak my piece.

arn
May 19, 2002, 04:58 PM
Speaking generally about your opinions on piracy is ok...

Talk of specifics is not.

Copying copyrighted software/music over the internet from whatever source is illegal. There's no 24-hour rule that makes it legal. The fact that you don't sell it doesn't make it legal.

It's reckless that people admit to specific applications that they have pirated. This is a public forum and all posts are archived locally, plus at outside sources (Google etc..)... you are opening yourself up to legal difficulties and this site will not go to any extra lengths to protect your identity when it comes down to it. You've been warned.

arn

britboy
May 19, 2002, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by 3rdpath
i know i'm in the minority on this-it was very obvious after the morpheus thread...but if it's not shareware or a demo and you didn't pay for it-then its stealing.

please don't get me wrong, i wasn't advocating stealing digitally-based data at all. Merely pointing out that it's a nice resource for me to have when deciding if i want to buy a certain film or not. Films i really enjoy and/or watch regularly i buy the dvd to. For travelling purposes though it's often more convenient to have them on the hard-drive in divx format.

arn ~ i was fairly certain that the 24 hour rule wasn't an official thing, but have been getting confused after seeing it on roughly half the servers i've been to. Thanks for the head-up.

spuncan
May 19, 2002, 05:11 PM
HeHe one of my threads got a warning from Arn
But truly people when I posted this thread it was a for against or indifferent kind of thing and why not a tell everyone how and what u steal.
Arn is right about the legal difficulty things and (part of the internet privacy act) But I would like to affirm the fact that the gov't. will most likely won't try you in court if u dont try to sell it because of the shear number of people who do this (out of court settlements aren't counted).
So I suggest u edit out all ur specifics and stick with why ur for against or indifferent about piracy
thx

jefhatfield
May 19, 2002, 06:58 PM
what do you all think about a new napster which has shawn fanning aboard again?

did he "sell" out to the record companies with the new royalty site or is this just a progression in the field of music, computers, and the internet?

3rdpath
May 20, 2002, 01:45 AM
napster is, figuratively speaking, dead. bmg may have bought them( or agreed to purchase their assets after they file for bankruptcy protection) but that once again shows how out of touch the major labels are....as we know, the people who want to p2p will find another free source.

the major labels are going to have to create a new business model in order to survive. i'm not quite sure if they're worth saving at this point.

mac15
May 20, 2002, 02:28 AM
I know this is a public forum..........so I will hold back on SWRO
the only thing I don't pay for is music .....and I know all of you don't go out and buy an album for 1 song....you get it off limewire and audiogalaxy
But ripping off SW sucks
I only DL betas....which I think is fair....you only test the SW out and then if it has bugs wait for a better version

edesignuk
May 20, 2002, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by verbose101
Well...I do use Limewire for Mac appz and KaZaA for PC, I like them and am all for them.
That's not to say that I don't buy software either if i feel it's worth it, for example...

However, £99 for OS X is a much more reasonable price for a far better OS, I didn't even bother looking for a pirate version of it, I went straight out to buy it. I think that apple deserved my £99 for all their hard work.
Apologies for this arn, I didn't mean to brake any rules/guidelines. Soz :o

eyelikeart
May 20, 2002, 08:29 AM
well I do use limewire...it's good to find certain items...

as for anything else...I cannot confirm nor dely any allegations...

how's that mcrain?! ;)

mac15
May 21, 2002, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
well I do use limewire...it's good to find certain items...

as for anything else...I cannot confirm nor dely any allegations...

how's that mcrain?! ;)

eye shame on you
I know this is public but who doesn't do it
it's like mastrbating......you say you don't it but I know you do it:D

eyelikeart
May 21, 2002, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by mac15

it's like mastrbating......you say you don't it but I know you do it:D

now there's a topic we haven't covered yet...

"Macs & Masturbation" :D

I'd be willing it wouldn't fly with arn though... :eek: ;)

britboy
May 21, 2002, 07:15 AM
please, don't :( I know you're single, and need.... distraction, but.... :D ;) :p

ha ha ha!!!

no worries man...I'm not about to dive into that one! :D

being single is one thing....

giving in too much information is another...

unless others want to discuss... :eek: :D

britboy
May 21, 2002, 07:42 AM
WTF??? Have you been hacking into my area Eye? ;) That's.... odd. Unless my post was deleted by one of the mods (if so, why?).

Beej
May 21, 2002, 07:43 AM
Damn it, i need to get out of this country :p :rolleyes: That 'C' which sounds like a 'K' is cilling me. OK, it's time for an award.

britboy - to go along with your funky new avatar, I proudly present you with the third ever

"That's damn funny" award

Congratulations!

britboy
May 21, 2002, 07:45 AM
he he he :D That's going in my sig, thanks! Boy, this is an honour.

Mr. Anderson
May 21, 2002, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by Beej
OK, it's time for an award.

britboy - to go along with your funky new avatar, I proudly present you with the third ever

"That's damn funny" award

Congratulations!

So how many of those things do you have to give away? You might need to ration them, or you're trying to get your name on every post.....

:D ;) :) :p

eyelikeart
May 21, 2002, 08:27 AM
WTF??? Have you been hacking into my area Eye? ;) That's.... odd. Unless my post was deleted by one of the mods (if so, why?).

ha ha ha....no I haven't deleted anything...

that is quite odd, though, that the post I quoted is no longer there... :confused: