Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Bummer news - I used to watch that show with my parents way back in the day. I was surprised to read that she was only 84 - 'Sophia' looked 84 back in the 80's!

DarkHeraldMage

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Bummer news - I used to watch that show with my parents way back in the day. I was surprised to read that she was only 84 - 'Sophia' looked 84 back in the 80's!

Yeah, it was a great show. I watched with my mom when I was younger and then recently pulled all 7 seasons off DVD and onto my Apple TV to rewatch, only to find I'd never missed an episode. :)

But yes, I believe Estelle Getty was actually younger than all or most of the other women on the show even though she played the part of the oldest. She was great.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Actually, she was 2 years younger than Bea Arthur, who played her daughter.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Oh, this is sad news.... I well remember her and she was so funny! Good actress!
Sad news. She was funny. RIP.

But yes, I believe Estelle Getty was actually younger than all or most of the other women on the show even though she played the part of the oldest. She was great.
I enjoyed watching the Golden Girls. Fun show.

Here are their birthdays (According to Wikipedia):
- Bea Arthur --> May 13, 1922
- Betty White --> Jan 17, 1922
- Estelle Getty --> July 25, 1923
- Rue McClanahan --> Feb 21, 1934

What I found most interesting, is that she played the roll of Maude's mother, but was about a year younger, yet she looked old enough to be her mother. Many years ago, when this was pointed out to me, I could hardly believe it. Estelle Getty always looked older than she was.

Actually, she was 2 years younger than Bea Arthur, who played her daughter.
See above.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.