PDA

View Full Version : Start up not reliable & occasional system freeze; ... please help.

cpkarch
Jul 22, 2008, 05:31 PM
My Mac stats: Mac G5 DT/1.8 GHz / OS 10.5.4 / 2.0 GB SDRAM with all current system downloads; I bought this Mac new from Mac connection approximately three years ago.

The problems I've been experiencing for many months:

1. Seldom, but occasionally my Mac will fail to start up causing me to do a forced shutdown by holding in the power button. If I delay doing this for a while (a minute or two), the Mac fan comes on rather loud.

After a minute or so after the forced shutdown, I try start up again and Mac starts up OK.

2. Seldom, but occasionally my Mac 'freezes'/cursor will not move, causing me do perform the forced shutdown as described above.

3. When I wake Mac from Sleep mode, there is a 'pop/snap' sound which is very audible depending on the volume setting I am using.

NOTE: In case I had any defective SDRAM modules, I replaced them with new high quality ram modules.

Any ideas about the cause and remedy of the above would be very much appreciated.

Thanks, Chet

TEG
Jul 22, 2008, 05:35 PM
Use Disk Utility to verify the integrity of the HD and Repair Permissions. If you have problems starting up again, restart the computer and hold down the shift key on the keyboard. This will force some utilities to run, then it will ask you to login. Do it, then restart the machine. That should help.

TEG