Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

huckles

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2003
Stockport
I have a powermac G4 12.1". This does not have a superdrive but I bought an external DVD/RW. Yesterday I tried to load ilife 1.1 as I do not have iDVD installed. My powermac will not allow me to load the i DVD and I wondered how I canget my imovies into DVD format and burnt? Hope someone out there can help. Thank you. Kevin.

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
You can't use iDVD with 3rd party DVD burners. It only works with SuperDrives. I have heard that you can export the movie from iDVD and use Toast to burn it, but I'm not really sure. Hopefully someone else can give you a better answer.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
As far as I know, you cannot use iDVD at all.

To get your movies onto a DVD, export your movie from iMovie using the Export option. In the pull down menu, select to Quicktime Movie. Save this anywhere. You then will use Toast 6 to burn a DVD with this video. Open Toast 6 and select the Video tab. Click Add and then select your movie file. You will then be able to burn that file onto a DVD in MEPG2 (standard DVD) format, playable in most home DVD Players.

latergator116

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2003
Providence, RI
Wow.....thats pretty sleazy. Is there any reason why it won't work with a non-superdrive burner or is apple just trying to limit the products you can use it with?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.