PDA

View Full Version : Help me catch a thief please! I have a question.

elmateo487
Jul 22, 2008, 07:40 PM
So, my 160 GB classic was stolen from me at a party with a bunch of people at it. In short, i know who the scum bag is that took it.

So! What i need to know, is where i can look to see the logs of what ipods have been plugged into a computer. Maybe iTunes logs it somewhere. Somewhere where i can see the name of the ipod that was logged. Then ill just check his computer and find it logged on there.

Any ideas? I would be very very appreciative if someone could help. I despise thieves so much... Man im mad.

Thank you

Matt

Chundles
Jul 22, 2008, 07:44 PM
Nick it back.

MacHappytjg
Jul 22, 2008, 07:52 PM
if he says its his say lemme take a look at it with ur serial number or something and then snag it and book it or floor it if u have a car in that case

elmateo487
Jul 22, 2008, 07:52 PM
Yeah well... i wont go into details here. But that wont be possible. At least for right now.

MacHappytjg
Jul 22, 2008, 07:54 PM
Go to his house with a baseball bat

panoz7
Jul 22, 2008, 07:56 PM
If you're on a mac you can find the serial numbers of synced ipods in a plist file. Open the file library/preferences/com.apple.iPod.plist and you should see a list off all the ipods that have been synced. Expanding the info for each ipod should should you its serial number.

elmateo487
Jul 22, 2008, 07:59 PM
This scum doesn't use a mac. Of course he is on a PC ;)

ColinEC
Jul 22, 2008, 08:01 PM
It would be better to contact the police, especially since you know whose stolen your $349 iPod. It would teach him a lesson, and would hopefully avoid a conflict between the two of you when you try to get your iPod back.

Dmac77
Jul 22, 2008, 08:09 PM
It would be better to contact the police, especially since you know whose stolen your $349 iPod. It would teach him a lesson, and would hopefully avoid a conflict between the two of you when you try to get your iPod back.

I second the motion.

Don

spork183
Jul 22, 2008, 08:12 PM
Interested that you have access to his computer, but not your pod. Sounds like a roommate. Dude, time for a new roomy...

purpleismyfav
Jul 22, 2008, 08:13 PM
If you're on a mac you can find the serial numbers of synced ipods in a plist file. Open the file library/preferences/com.apple.iPod.plist and you should see a list off all the ipods that have been synced. Expanding the info for each ipod should should you its serial number.

doing that at least you'll know that it's the right iPod and won't comprimise your relationship with your buddy if your wrong. If your right though go to the police

Oh yea for windows to see the last connected iPod go to Help > Hold the Ctrl key > select "About iTunes", and they last connected iPod will scroll by, it has to be iTunes 7.6 or later though, and if he's not on that version update it and wait until he connects it, he shouldn't notice the difference between versions unless he's on iTunes 4 or something, but there's a way there too.

magiic
Jul 22, 2008, 08:26 PM
Step 1: Approach quietly from behind
Step 2: Forcefully cover his mouth your hand
Step 3: (rapidly after step 2) run sharp knife across his throat
Step 4: Bury him in the hills
Step 5: Reclaim iPod
Step 6: ????
Step 7: PROFIT!!!

elmateo487
Jul 22, 2008, 08:59 PM
I am not one to call the police. I've never used them for anything. In my experiences they are just as bad. (So Cal police don't care about anything, unless there has been gunfire)

Coming up to college we had our truck stolen with everything i have ever owned in it. It was a new F350 powerstroke. Inside was my Laptop, my dads laptop, saxophone, guitar, my moms and my camera, clothes, cds, dvds, ipod. The whole works. Stolen from a gaurded parking lot, with a steering lock on it. The cops had him on video, and still could do nothing about it. They said these kinds of things happen all the time. 60,000 dollars stolen. Yeah. Bull!

I do not have access to his computer, but can. So if he isnt guilty of stealing it? He will be alright letting check his comp right? He lives in my same apartment building, so that wont be hard.

purpleismyfav:

Thanks ill try that.

MacHappytjg
Jul 22, 2008, 09:03 PM
I am not one to call the police. I've never used them for anything. In my experiences they are just as bad. (So Cal police don't care about anything, unless there has been gunfire)
Coming up to college we had our truck stolen with everything i have ever owned in it. It was a new F350 powerstroke. Inside was my Laptop, my dads laptop, saxophone, guitar, my moms and my camera, clothes, cds, dvds, ipod. The whole works. Stolen from a gaurded parking lot, with a steering lock on it. The cops had him on video, and still could do nothing about it. They said these kinds of things happen all the time. 60,000 dollars stolen. Yeah. Bull!
I do not have access to his computer, but can. So if he isnt guilty of stealing it? He will be alright letting check his comp right? He lives in my same apartment building, so that wont be hard.
purpleismyfav:
Thanks ill try that.

What kinda police are those sounds like the rcmp :eek: where do u live in craps ville :confused:
Heres what you can do ask him to hang out and act nice to him and when ur at his house and maybe u see he has a new ipod mention it and that you got urs stolen and be like hey it has the same serial number snab it and run and lock your door.

Muncher
Jul 22, 2008, 10:05 PM
Can he beat you in a fight, or are you about evenly matched? If the second, or if you can beat him, corner him alone, confront him, tell him if he gives back the ipod now, there won't be any trouble, then threaten to call the cops (you don't actually have to). If he's never been in serious trouble before, he should crack immediately. If he still insists he doesn't have the 'pod, tell him he'd god **** better help you find it. Then, offer a reward. :p

There, now you have a two man search team!