Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

artric

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2003
ok, I admit it, I'm ignorant :(
For 4 days straight I was googling for instructions on how to add a huuuuge storage array to my wifes G4 DP 1GHz QS.
Even better, how to build one myself, on a straight budget.
ok, here's the deal.
I need mass storage and was thinking about 8 HDs in a rackmount.
The rack is a flight case, 19" wide but only 16" deep.
I assume I can manage the rack stuff but what I really need is technical understanding on how to connect 8 HDs and then this bundle to the Mac. The distance between the G4 and the rack will be about 30 feet (10 meters).
Integrating this array in the network would be nice but my understanding is that than I will need a server, right ?
Can I connect the array with the G4 in any way or do I have to go with a server solution ? I would have an old PII 400 MHz and a PIII 1 GHz I could use and put Linux on it, if this is the only way to go...
Can anybody help me ?

Edit: I was thinking about ATAs or maybe even SATAs for the HDs. RAID would not be necessary, JBOD would be enough

artric

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2003
ok, this doesn't seem to be an easy task :)
In the meantime I took care of one thing and therefore changes the requirements a lil bit...
I got my hands on a Cobalt Raq Server. So that takes care of the network binding.

The original problem still remains. I need to build a disk array. I would like to use IDE disks because of capacity and price.
I would like to put the array in a separate case for the rack.
The Cobalt Raq has a SCSI connector so I was thinking of using SCSI to connect the array to the server.
I'm aware of SCSI/IDE adaptor cards to convert IDE into SCSI. Would I need one of these cards per drive or is there a chance to connect all IDE drives as a chain and then connect them to the SCSI connector ?

Help, p-l-e-a-s-e ?!

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
I guess the option of using a couple/few PCI IDE cards for the Mac, some LONG PC IDE cables to run out the back of a PowerMac, and a PC power supply to power the drives in a cheap case is out of the question.

And like SCSI you're limited by cable length.

Of course since you have the Server you can always add IDE cards and IDE drives -- or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.