Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cleo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
OK, so I was just watching CNN (Lastest news: we're all going to die, very very soon) and this commercial came on that caught my eye. You know how when you have a crush on someone you notice their car model everywhere you go (there are seriously millions of Reliant K's in the world) and how as Apple users we can spot a Cinema Display in the corner of a scene in a movie even if it's blurry? Right. Well, there was this commercial, and you would have SWORN it was for ibooks. They have these white laptops with grey-ish innards floating through space, very Apple-ish. And then... one spins around and there's a Gateway logo where the glowing Apple should be! WTF?! Could these people be any more blatant about copying Apple's design? And could they taunt Mac people any more painfully? Talk about blue balls... and I thought it was an ad for the forthcoming G4 iBooks! :D

macktheknife

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2002
Yeah, I know what you're talking about

Here's the picture of Gateway's 450 laptop series. It caught my eye yesterday as I passed by a Gateway Country store. Now tell me that the design had nothing to do with the TiBook:

Attachments

• gatewayripoff.jpg
    gatewayripoff.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 179

aafuss1

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2002
Gold Coast, Australia
This mnakles me Wonder-I wish aGatyeway came back here top OZ. Dp you IBM/Toshiba dloes the same coliyr style. IBM's are usually black, my pb 14000 is bksxvk, toshiba silver, titanium style colour.

Gateway

Gateway makes me so angry! I hate how they copy Apple. The copy does not look that good though, bad work by the Gateway copying dep.

Speaking of Relaint K's We had one for 10 years and it had 213878miles on it.
It barely made it to the dealership when we bought our Honda Odyssey.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
I think it's obvious how this color happened. Some smart guy reflected the sun's light of a Titanium Powerbook onto a black Gateway notebook and the rays changed the color of the poor quality leather. :)

What? It's possible, right?

Any time is a great time for iPod.
Working on 500 post signature and avatar...

Grokgod

macrumors 6502a
The grip of a dying man!

Gateway is on its way down!
They are trying to do anything to get people to buy their systems.
What better way than to copy the most stylish item in town.
Of course its a poor mans Ti, but in the Pcheese world that all that you can hope for. From thier perspective they think they are being brillant and original!

It could encased in gold but if it boots to windoze, its still a plastic brick!

Oh yea the cow shaped like a box icon is like macdonalds making chicken nuggets, molded for optimum pukage!

The mimickery is obvous and distasteful.
Kinda like all the recent silver Compqs and Emachines, and Dells now also.
Of course now Apple will change their casings for Powermac at NewYork and these children will still be playing "watch Daddy!" And be years behind trying to retools thier plastic mold machines to catch up. With the next apple design wave.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.